“A place of 2 halfs” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Bangor
Accrington, United Kingdom
“A place of 2 halfs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I went for a 3 night break in early October 2013 to Abbeyfield. We were in all honesty attracted by the price and it was, in one sense, value for money. Certainly the room was clean and the beds were comfortable, once you get there. And that was my problem. As someone with impaired mobility, I walk but not very well, I found the number of steps difficult, especially the final small flight up to the landing where our room was. This was not helped by the fire door being right on the top step which made life awkward and a little dangerous.I am surprised it passes DDA criteria, a banister and an automatic door switch would have helped.
Like others I found the landlord was not a great 'mine host' but the bar staff made up for it as they were superb. The food was brilliant, and whilst I did not sample it the Steak and Ale pie has to be seen to be believed. There are smaller building blocks in cathedrals.
Breakfast was fine but not excellent, the sausages being particularly disappointing, and I make a judgement on the quality of sausages.
If you like trains this is the place for you, the Chester Holyhead railway passing the breakfast tables close enough to grab a slice of toast!
Average as a rating is a bit unfair. Good but not great is a better comment.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and two friends for a short walking holiday in August 2013. We were attracted by the hotel's location and the very modest prices. The hotel lacks charm and the preremptory nature of the 'welcome' on our arrival was indicative of all aspects of the hotel. There is nothing to be seriously critical about; everything was just alright. The staff were generally pleasant but never overtly welcoming.The room was basic , but clean, and only about 25 yards from the main railway line to Holyhead ( This did not lead to sleepless nights as there were very few trains during the night). Breakfast was OK but no quality bread and cheap orange juiice. Dinner in the pub restaurant which forms part of the hotel was similarly OK, but quantity rather quality was the basis of the menu. Overall it was just a bit uninspiring and lacking in flair.

Room Tip: Avoid the rear corner of the hotel as that is close to the railway
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and I and our 14 year old son stayed for a two night break. It was exactly what it said. An old hotel in the middle of nowhere. The people were very friendly and very much abliging. We stayed there for meals for both nights as there were nowhere else to go, it is litterely in the middle of nowhere. The food was amazing. I would recommend this hotel even down to the creaky floor boards.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked the hotel as it was near to Bethesda, the location for one our major walks that weekend. Very little accommodation is advertised in this area. The hotel was recommended by another walking group.
The price was right for a short stay. We arrived about 5.45 pm ,rang the reception bell, a gentleman arrived asked for name, gave us the key and told where to go. I asked what time would the bar be opening and had a reply. No warmth in greeting displayed. Our room was large, comfortable, but very outdated, however, very clean. Our friends arrived a bit later and had the same greeting and asked the same question, to be replied, would be open if he didnt keep him talking.

The restuarant had good atmosphere. The meals were substantial and hardly any came with vegetables, which were an extra. The bar staff were very hospitable. Breakfast was ok, very rarely do we only get given sliced standard white toast.

After our 2day stay we came to pay the bill, a different receptionist, but the same quiet unwelcoming service.

I would love to go to businesses that make me feel welcome in North Wales. To sum up our walk weekend experiences. Our group returned to one of the official car parks signed off the Main Street in Bethesda, to be met by a gentleman, who in no uncertain manner told us that walkers should park in the car park opposite and leave this one for the residents. Please could Bethesda make this apparent on their signs.

Room Tip: Do not have the rooms that back onto the railway
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pat W
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed in this hotel overnight because I had an interview at the University in Bangor the next day.
I had already called them and asked if it was okay that I would be arriving quite late, and was told this was fine. My train did not arrive into Bangor until almost half past 9 at night. I arrived at the hotel at about 9.45, and the reception I received was brief. I was given my key and basically told where my room was, I was not shown there.
The room was very very basic. It had an en-suite bathroom which was good, but it had a very rickety shower. I had a small double bed, which was nice, but I feel the room was much too basic for the price I paid for the night.
The next morning I needed a hairdryer - which I had neglected to bring with me and fortunately was lent one by the hotel and they were quite polite about this.
The breakfast was nice, not fantastic, but it filled me up and saw me until about lunchtime. When it came to my time to leave, I paid the bill and was practically rushed out of the hotel, I'm not sure I've ever had a place quite so eager to get rid of me.
I had read a review on here before I went to this hotel which mentioned about how they do not really give that personal touch to people travelling by themselves, which sometimes you quite like when you are on your own, and this was certainly what happened.
I probably wouldn't stay here again, I feel it was overprice and did not have a very homely feel to it, but my stay was not unpleasant. But I would certainly not tell you to stay here if you are on your own and look for a more personal touch.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Thats-So-Alex
liverpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Needs total refurbishment!! Creaky towers! Curtains too light (most places have black-out curtains or blinds these days) overpriced totally. Awful sign over toilet (not very nice when your young children trying to read it.. !) breakfast disgusting had to send it bak to kitchen (no apology given) poor customer service by waitress! Avoid this place.. You have been warned! Wish we wold have stayed at travelodge down road.

Room Tip: Stay at travelodge down road
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank welsh1liverpool
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Abbeyfield. The room was huge, and clean and comfortable. Breakfast was great. It was a bit hard to find, and it is a little out of the way, but it was a peaceful country location and well worth the little extra effort. The proprietors were really lovely and happy to stay up for a chat in the bar with the people staying. Overall, a great experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Premier Inn Bangor Hotel
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Gwesty Carreg Bran Hotel
Gwesty Carreg Bran Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

Been to Abbeyfield Hotel? Share your experiences!