“What a lovely chinese!”

The Garden Cantonese Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 161 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: Chinese, Malaysian, Thai
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Garden Hotel & Cantonese Restaurant has been welcoming discerning diners to Bangor for 32 years and remains a heavenly haven of culinary excellence.Proprietor Andrew Lui established the Garden Hotel & Cantonese Restaurant in 1981 following a chemical engineering degree and career, and is now a leading authority on Cantonese cooking. Working together with wife and Head Chef, Alice Lui who trained in Hong Kong and China.The restaurant is open seven days a week with a comprehensive a la carte menu from 2.00pm to 09.30pm. “There are three basic principles that I believe are essential for success,” Andrew adds.“The first is good cuisine; the second is good service and thirdly, a good environment.All our dishes are freshly prepared and cooked with the finest ingredients. The Garden Cantonese Restaurant goes a little step further by offering dishes to suit vegans, lacto vegetarians, ovo-lacto vegetarians and customers with nut, dairy or gluten allergies. We also understand the importance of healthy eating and use only the healthiest of oils and lean produce in our cuisine.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

i decided on a whim to drag my partner here after noticing deals on the window outside. the decor is a little dated but the food was lovely. the mains came with this lovely little surprise of a little sweet which sound a bit odd but actually made our day the first time we discovered it and still made us smile the second visit too. I probably prefer Fu's overall in the bangor caernarfon area but will definitely be revisiting!

There are newer reviews for The Garden Cantonese Restaurant

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We called in here after an event in the area, having read good reviews on Trip Advisor.

The meal was really great and the service was very good too. I'd definitely go again if I was in the area and would recommend other people visit too!

3  Thank riceburner
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I visited this restaurant in September 2013 with my partner and my father. After reading fantastic reviews on the restaurant online we decided we would give it a go. The restaurant was a little dated but quaint none the less. But when we were handed the menus, we were shocked to see the prices of the mains averaging on £10/£14 with no rice/noodles included!!! We were thinking it must be very excellent food to charge a small fortune for sweet and sour chicken at over £10!! When the food arrived it wasn't at a poor standard but just average. The service was good but the atmosphere and prices were not! Wont visit here again in a hurry.

Garden328, General Manager at The Garden Cantonese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear reviewer

Thank you for your review. I can assure you that the average price of our main dishes are well under £14 as shown on our restaurant and online a la carte menu. The cost of sweet and sour chicken is £7.90 restaurant price. Our menus are regularly reviewed and so, I am confident that our dishes are competitively priced. We appreciate your review and I am glad to hear that the service you received was good.

Garden Cantonese Restaurant

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Garden last Saturday having not been for a few months - we were greeted with hugs and beaming smiles. The food as always was amazing as is the service. I was tempted to try something new as I tend to go for the same 3 or 4 dishes the staff asked what type of thing I liked and suggested something new - they were spot on! Just my type of dish & something I would never have ordered without their input. No other Chinese in the area compares!

8  Thank George B
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This should be on the visit list for EVERYONE who lives in or visits Bangor.
If you haven't been you are missing out.
The food and service are always excellent. I've never had a bad meal.

7  Thank Sarah L