“Great for a Function or small Party”
Review of Orchid Restaurant

Orchid Restaurant
Ranked #58 of 152 Restaurants in Aberystwyth
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
wales uk
“Great for a Function or small Party”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had our wedding breakfast at the Orchid, everything was done as we requested, staff were first class, we had 37 people there, people who owned business's and people who had travelled a long way to be there on the day, 100% of the people said ' it was some of the best food they had eaten and that the surroundings were lovely, ideal for small parties (up to 50 persons) . We cannot thank the owner and staff enough for making our day so special . Don Herron

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Don H

Ross on Wye, United Kingdom
“Avoid this restaurant - dreadful!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We (a party of four) turned up in Aberystwyth by accident at lunchtime on a November Sunday. Parking near to the pier we decided to seek a Sunday roast for lunch. Walking past the Cambria we noticed a sandwich board outside the Orchid Restaurant advertising Sunday Roast for £6.95. We went in at 12.50pm and were the only persons in there. This, in hindsight, should have rung alarm bells. We sat down and a waitress, I guess of eastern European origin and devoid of any bedside manner, served us. My wife is a vegetarian but there was no option for a veggy roast! She therefore ordered noodles and the other three of us ordered roast beef. It was served after about 10 minutes and we were disappointed straight away by the quantity i.e. 1 x roast potato, 1 x new potato, 1 x slice of carrot, 2 x broccoli and 2 x cauliflower. My new potato was the size a a 10p piece. Nonetheless we started to eat. The meat was tough having the consistency of leather and tasted like no beef I have ever tasted before. The Yorkshire pudding was literally swimming in grease. It was nothing short of disgusting. One of the ladies in the group left 95% of her meal. I persevered and ate the vegetables but could not stomach the meat or Yorkshire Pudding. When the waitress came over she asked if everything was ok and we pointed out in some detail our dissatisfaction. She was, at best, indifferent. No one else came out to try and correct the situation but the cook appeared at the kitchen door and looked at us with distain. We did not have a dessert, unsurprisingly, and asked for the bill. When it arrived we were aghast as no money had been taken off and they were expecting us to pay the full amount. In hindsight we probably should have refused to pay but we settled up in full and left disgusted. These people do not deserve your trade, please avoid.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Nick J
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Nice food, amazing staff.”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have recently moved to Aberystwyth and came across Orchid for the first time when a 10% discount card was handed to me. I had no idea where the restaurant was but I had my phone Sat Nav for the directions.

I decided to give orchid a go after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor (of course) and after having a peek at the menu online I was on my way. I was in need of a good meal!

Orchid is located near the pier and is in an odd place if you are traveling by car. Luckily I was on foot and didn't have the issue of parking etc. From the outside Orchid does look like a decent restaurant.

I walked into the restaurant and was greeted by a very attentive member of staff. I do believe she was the manageress of the place which was nice to know.

I noted that the restaurant was empty. There was no atmosphere, the one thing I wanted as I was on my own. I won't hold that against the restaurant. It was a horrible gloomy day and the place is a tad pricey for the local population.

I was given prawn crackers within minutes of arrival and handed the menu. The menu does have a nice wide range to offer, baffled by the selection I request advice on what to order. I ended up ordering the suggestion which was the chilli and salt chicken.

At this point I noted the décor, its really nice and a lot of effort and thought has gone into it.

I waited around 10 minutes for the food but the staff member kept me company, she was a student, just like me! So we did have plenty to talk about.

The chicken itself was perfect. It hit the spot, the serving was very big also which I wasn't expecting. The jasmine rice I ordered was nice. All in a all a very good meal at a very good price.

After my meal I was offered tea or coffee with the restaurants compliments! Nice touch :)

I would definitely recommend this place.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Sohail I
Abergavenny, Wales, United Kingdom
“Pretty good - we all enjoyed it”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

It seems like most of the reviews for Aber are from parents visiting students – mine are no exception! Visited our daughter and her boyfriend last night with more provisions etc, didn’t get there until the evening so couldn’t go to the place we usually go as it’s only open midday, saw this place as we walked along the harbour and decided to give it a go. The place itself it very clean and tidy, the only member of staff we saw was the Polish student who served us, she was very friendly and efficient. Like other reviews I have to say it was not busy, there were three other tables occupied when we arrived but only one table of two were still there when we left - having said that it was a midweek evening on a very wet, miserable October day. Like most of these places as well as the usual menu they do set meals; here they do two, each for a minimum of two people. As there were four of us we had two of each, the reasoning being we could all try a bit of everything and as you usually get more than you can eat the left overs could be taken out for the two poor, undernourished students to have again! All in all the meal was really good and we all enjoyed it. The only criticisms I would make is the fried rice was not the best, although none of the others mentioned it. Also, although the quality of our meal was very good it was not that cheap - this could put it out of reach of most students, certainly on a regular basis, which might explain why reviews tend to indicate that it does not get very busy. The quantity of each dish was ample, there was at least enough left over for one meal for our daughter and boyfriend which the waitress packed up for them.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Stuart M
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Calamitous disappointment”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We were most hungry so it was with an eagerness bordering on zeal that we hurried toward The Orchid, buoyant with hope of satiating our growing pangs. Given the somewhat unconventional hour of our arrival it was unsurprising to find the restaurant devoid of diners. We were ushered to a table by a friendly waitress and settled into our plush chairs to admire the breathtaking seascape. We ordered a jug of tap water to start. It arrived promptly and was of tolerable quality though one of the lemon slices had sank while the other floated. A short perusal of the menu resulted in us choosing the 'Jasmine set menu' at £19.95 per person. As there were two of us this equates to 19.95 x 2 = 39.90.

As is customary in restaurants of this milieu a dish of prawn crackers was provided as a prelude to the main event. These were served in a white dish atop a black dish and came with to small dishes of red. As I am not fond of prawn crackers I must at this point rely on the testimonial of my girlfriend. She stated that though 'they were good and solid they didn't really taste of prawn'.

Our trio of starters arrived soon after and our previously buoyant hopes (see above) came crashing to earth in a manner reminiscent of Icarus. The spring rolls were diminutive and flavourless. The prawn toast was greasy and, in what was becoming a theme of the meal, lacking in 'prawniness'. The satay chicken was all right I suppose. The highlight of the starter was a single leaf of Thai basil whose flavour provided a conspicuous counterpoint to the prevailing blandness.

It was with an all pervading sense of dread that we awaited the inevitable arrival of the main courses. Arrive they did and we began to eat them. The sweet & sour chicken was a sea of lustrous neon pink. My generally laconic girlfriend termed it 'thick', terse even by her standards. The beef tagalog was notably brown in colour. Slices of brown beef in a brown sauce with brown onions. 'Brown' my girlfriend said. A small lidded pot contained a red duck curry. The duck wasn't red but the sauce was reddish. As Thai red curries go it was overly aromatic while not really containing much in the way of favour beyond a slightly sickly sweetness. Side dishes of stir-fried noodles and egg-fried rice were present.

Perhaps as a reward for our valiant battle with the main courses we were presented with hot drinks and dessert. I had a black coffee in a small cup that was wider at the bottom than at the top while my female companion had 'tea'. The tea was green and came in a pot accompanied by a cup the dimensions of which currently escape me. The coffee was nice and the tea was, I am told, also 'nice'. The highlight of the evening came in the form of a pot of mixed chocolate coated raisins and coffee beans. The beans enrobed in a darker shade of chocolate than the raisins to avoid unwanted mouth surprises. Dessert was ice cream in a glass with a stem and was unremarkable.

It was during the unremarkable dessert that the titular calamity occurred. The sedate atmosphere was rent by a sudden crash and crumble as a large lump of moulding fell from the ceiling missing the only other diners by a hair's breath. The restaurant held its breath... As it turned out no one was harmed but things could so easily have been different. We left the restaurant feeling slightly sick; partly from the food and partly from the unexpected reminder of our own delicate mortality.

• Visited September 2013