“Brilliant Christmas Dinner”

Gwesty'r Marine Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 148 Restaurants in Aberystwyth
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wales
“Brilliant Christmas Dinner”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Brilliant Christmas Dinner and Show at an extremely fair price with lots of top quality food. Well done!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Dyntan

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and service”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Following a previous visit to this establishment, I reviewed the hotel, but this time I will concentrate on the restaurant. My wife and I were 1 of 3-couples that meet-up annually for a decent meal, a few drinks, lots of laughs and much nostalgia; for the fourth year we decided to visit the Marine Restaurant in Aberystwyth. A table next to the window was reserved for us with great views over the stormy sea and there were only about eight other guests in the reataurant, but in the ballroom was a wedding reception, which must have stretched the staff resources, but you would never have known it. Most of us ate different items from the menu, all of us thoroughly enjoying our chosen food; I started with prawn cocktail - it had a very generous helping of succulent prawns and for my main course I ordered a sirloin steak - so well cooked and tender served with a good fresh salad and chips. Dessert was apple-pie and custard; every course was generous and I did not leave the table hungry! As with previous visits the quality of service could not be faulted, Lydia, our waitress for the past 4-years was the perfect ambassador for the restaurant, whatever task she has to perform is given 100%, she goes out of her way to help each customer, everyone is treated as though they were the only person that matters. I do not know (and do not want to know) how much the Marine pays Lydia, but she deserves to be paid much more than the average waitress, because she is much more than the average waitress! Thanks Lydia, you made our evening a special treat.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Studogs41
Newport, Wales
“Top value Sunday lunch”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

When we visit Aberystwyth we usually meet up with friends and family over a bar meal at the Marine. It’s the usual bar fare, but always cooked and served well in a friendly atmosphere, overlooking the promenade. (It used to have a rather endearing faded elegance recalling a bygone era, but they’ve spruced it up a bit now.) Last time we visited we went (on a recommendation) for Sunday lunch. We hadn’t booked but gave our names when we arrived around midday, with lunch being served from 12.30 until 2pm. Probably there are cheaper offers for Sunday lunch in some other places, but I don’t think they could beat the Marine for value. It’s a carvery, offering the usual selection of roast meats. For the most part you go up and help yourself to as much as you want - so you can only blame yourself if you eat too much. But the choice is so enticing that it’s difficult not to. It might be better to give breakfast a miss if you go there, and maybe even supper the night before as well. My wife (who notices such things) tells me there were seventeen different home-made desserts on offer. People could (and did) go back several times. There were sufficient waiters/waitresses hovering if needed, all of whom conveyed a natural and friendly helpfulness. Judging by how busy it was the people of Aber know when they’re on to a good thing.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Crwydrgi
Vienna, Austria
“Great bar food”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I am a student in Aberystwyth and my family often come to visit me during term time. As my brother has special needs they always find it hard to find a family room for three adults, but they managed to get a great rate at the Marine Hotel.

When we arrived we found the room had four beds and was very spacious and well laid out. Everything was spotless. The reception staff were friendly and approachable. We liked the fact they could book an extra breakfast for me (as a non-guest) the next morning.

We chose to eat in the bar that night as the prices were reasonable and although there was not a huge amount of choice, everything sounded delicious. The food arrived in individual dishes with a HUGE platter of proper home-made chips. I had the chicken Cymru which was divine. The bar staff were all so friendly and willing to have a laugh. We felt completely at ease. A great night.

The breakfast the next morning was nice, but very busy. Good selection of cereals and juices and a huge buffet of cooked breakfast. It was nice that tea and coffee was served at your table but it was difficult to signal if you wanted more, maybe they should have a self-service system for this too.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank LinguoGirl
Straffan, Ireland
“Children running around”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Stayed in this hotel (Nov 09) and had dinner in the dining room in the restaurant one of the nights - as there were children running wild in the bar. Dinner was OK. My daughter had asked for breast of duck with sauce on the side - she got leg of duck swamped with sauce - did not complain as we were waiting soooo long, and were so hungry could not wait any longer.
The children who had been in the bar decided to change venue and were now charging around the dining room - Server shrugged his shoulders, apologetically, saying they were the owners children & nothing he could do!
Would not eat here again/not will I stay here as when I mentioned this incident the following morning, the receptionist did not seem to care - perhaps they were her children!

2 Thank abigaleCoKildare