“Birthday Surprise”

and 1 more site!
Gwesty Cymru
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I booked this hotel for a special birthday surprise for my partners birthday.
We stayed New Year's Eve, fantastic loft room with crisp linen and stunning furniture, we dined in the restaurant food was outstanding and locally produced, Beth and Huw were very attentive and professional ensuring there high standards are maintained. Can't wait to return :)))

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 10, 2014

For reasons too complicated to describe here we ended up in Aberystwyth for a weekend during a period of the most appalling stormy weather most of us have ever seen. It is now mid February and the paved area of the promenade in Aberystwyth looks like some madman has dumped x thousand tons of shingle and stones along it's length. It looks terrible. Cue the 'Gwesty Cymru' hotel, (a literal translation from Welsh to English just means 'Welsh Hotel' in case you were wondering). The hotel is just at the start of the prom and had missed the worst of the beating and had completely missed the flooding that came with it. It is a small 'boutique-type' hotel with stairs and corridors leading everywhere. The rooms all seem really nicely done out, you have a choice of sea-facing rooms and rear-facing rooms. The standard of our room and bathroom was very high, they have been expensively done out with very good quality furnishings and fittings. The food is excellent, where they can it is Welsh and sourced locally. I won't list them here but there are some very well executed dished on the menu, stuff I have not seen elsewhere. It was one of those places you'd need to stay for at least 5 nights to do the menu proper justice. there is also a very good wine list, and the staff are knowledgeable about what they sell, So all in, very, very good and we will be back. And the staff - about the most helpful and attentive mob I have ever encountered,
Parking - out on the promenade so it may be a bit of a scramble at peak times but they do offer secure parking elsewhere at a price - I did not enquire where but I think it's at £8 a night.

Room Tip: Get a front sea-facing room for the full effect. And as I have seen before in Aberystwyth, some suns...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2014

The welcome from the staff could not have been warmer or friendlier. This was a last minute booking that turned into a wonderful surprise. The facilities in the rooms were superior, but the biggest surprise of all was the wonderful dining room - if you've never had a breakfast Scotch Egg, give this hotel a try. It really is the best hotel in Aberystwyth.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the sea.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We had the attic room. Beautiful slate walls, exposed beams, the sound of the waves crashing outside. Beautiful bathroom with stunning details and nice toiletries. Clean crisp white linens, lots of attention to detail, and an awesome breakfast. Thank you, Gwesty Cymru, for making our trip so special.

Room Tip: We loved the attic room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2014

On dydd santes dwynwen I booked a table for 22 people, within 15 minutes of arrival the starter was arriving, everyone received their food at the same time, staff also took drink orders, and it was delivered to the table promptly. Staff we're very accommodating. The food was delicious and there were clear plates all round at the end. Highly recommend this restaurant and we will return to gwesty cymru very soon.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My Girlfriend and I stayed at the Gwesty Cymru on the evening of January 18th as a surprise getaway for my Birthday, we stayed in room 4 and had fantastic sea views, we must have spent about an hour just watching the waves roll in to the bay, mesmorizing. The room was really clean, modern and very well laid out, the bathroom was amazing, big bath and shower and really nicely lit. We also ate in the hotel in the evening and I am a bit of a self confessed food snob I can honestly say it was one of the nicest meals I have had in a long, long time. I had a simple starter of Breakfast scotch egg on a potato rosti, with a tomato sauce, followed by duck breast in a port and something sauce with an amazing mash and chantenay carrots which were covered in a sticky glaze with sesame seeds covering it, it was honestly really really good! We then shared the trio of pannacotta as a pudding (mulled wine, white chocolate and orange, I think!) and I can honestly say they were the best pannacottas we have both ever tasted. We had also booked in for Breakfast in the morning and we both went for the full Welsh breakfast which was awesome also, you could tell all the ingredients were freshly sourced and local. All the staff were very lovely, nothing was too much trouble, they all had a smile on their face and were extremely welcoming and hospitable. I can't recommend this hotel enough, we will definitely be going back, very soon I hope! Aberystwyth itself is a great town and really beautiful along the seafront - Don't forget to 'kick the bar' when you are there and yes it is still there, the storms hadn't actually done that much damage, only a few slabs of concrete and the victorian shelter had suffered! HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel and the restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Diolch yn fawr; food, staff & experience, all first class. A great advert for Aberystwyth, Ceredigion and Wales in general. This should provide a blueprint for all aspiring restaurateur's & hoteliers in Wales; provide a quality service using local produce whilst making the most of the unique selling point of Wales & the Welsh language. Unwaith eto diolch yn fawr.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple