“Average B&B”
Review of Ty Belgrave House

Ty Belgrave House
Ranked #32 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on business in Aberystwyth. The staff I met with were very friendly and no issues with check-in/out. The bedroom was very small for the price and whilst the bathroom was huge but, for some bizarre reason, the main boiler for the hotel was located here and was incredibly noisy to the point where I just couldn't sleep. The shower also needs replacing as I had to hold it up with one hand whilst attempting to clean with the other!

This was by no means the wort place I've stayed in but for a reasonably hefty (comparable to other local B&Bs) price, you get a small room (without what I would describe as a proper sea view), a poor shower and a bad nights sleep. For those reasons I would not be able to recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on October 13t, we stayed in room 10 witch is on the ground floor with a sea view, the room itself had everything you needed for a nights stay, tea & coffer and a nice tv on the wall.

The room was very modern and nicely decorated.

The breakfast was very good to, help your self full English breakfast and and was all very fresh and a good choice for everyone

Location of the guesthouse was perfect, rite on the sea front and in the town Centre, we was visiting the art centre when we was here and it was a 5 min £3 taxi ride away.

I would recommend this guesthouse to stay when visiting Aberystwyth

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Booked in for two nights and was worried as I read the reviews as I travelled on the train to Aberystwyth. All my fears were confirmed when I checked in and was shown into a room in the basement. The overwhelming smell of stale fat was overpowering as I went down the stairs. The room itself had little room to manoeuvre. The single window was frosted and looked out to nothing except the bird droppings on it. The en suite was, well, there. I tried not to look too closely. In the morning, I was woken by the staff preparing breakfast in the kitchen opposite and then the smell of fresh bacon and sausage fat in my room. My colleague's room in the attic was also very small and had the added benefit of wind whistling through the window that did not shut properly. Convenient location, friendly enough staff but that's about it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jane579
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I will start with some positives... It was not as bad as we had feared. We were misled by the website promising the world and then read the TripAdviser reviews. Not usually caught out like this but had checked hotels and didn't realise B&Bs were in a different place. Staff were friendly enough but not very professional. Room was okay and had a great sea view and tea and coffee tray well stocked. Good location. Bed was two twin ones with gap down the middle. Very little loo roll provided and we had to be very cautious until morning as there was no one to ask. We were then issued with a twin pack which was just as well as the windows were so draughty in the wind that we had to stuff it down the gaps to sleep. We stayed 3 nights and one day returned to find our room had been left wide open all day and was half done with no towels. We asked for towels and at first they said there weren't any but eventually some were located. No sign of the fluffy bathrobes and that day the towels were also no where to be found. Breakfast was in a hot crowded basement room with a swarm of flies round the light. Fresh fruit was in fact tinned grapefruit and prunes which were brought out day after day. No sign of the yoghurts on the menu. Your choice of egg as long as it is fried and no mushrooms on last day. It states it is locally sourced produce..... From Lidl round the corner maybe. Overall things could have been worse but the ethos of the place is all wrong. 4 star self rated shows either they are out to mislead people or they are deluded. This hotelier has been fined for this practice and also has a history of poor management of student accommodation. Check out "The Dark Side of Abergeldie"on You Tube. We paid £90, £120 and £80 for the 3 nights and this is too much. Will try somewhere else in future and check TripAdviser.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Binky239
Reviewed September 20, 2013

In all honestly this hotel wasn't worth one star.
My girlfriend and I booked a 'deluxe' room and were charged £120. We obviously arrived with high expectations. Upon entry to our room I could not stop shouting. I have never been ripped off as badly in my entire life. The room was absolutely tiny, the bathroom ridiculously small, the fixtures in poor condition and in some cases hanging off. The shower was unclean and the toilet seat chipped and stained. I went down immediately and asked if we were in the right room. They said yes and claimed the price is justified by the view. Amazing, £120 to look at grey, mucky sea for a night! I tried to move us to another hotel but everywhere was full. I strongly recommend you avoid even stepping foot in this hell hole. It has cost me the same as a five-star suite for a miniscule room that wasn't properly clean and far from comfortable. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Use a different hotel! Trust me.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Joe W
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My wife 2 children and I were booked to stay at this hotel in august. We were on tour in wales and were driving from llandudno when my car broke down.I phoned the hotel to say we might not make it and was it possible to cancel my reservation .the receptionist said no and told me I would lose the £140.00 it would cost for the night.I decided we would get there by the train so we wouldn't lose the money and told the receptionist we might be late .We got to the hotel about 5oclock after I had noticed the 140.00 had been taken out of my bank account .now I get to the best bit . The receptionist who was now a woman looks in the book then says I thought you were not coming and we have just sold your room to someone else .She spoke to her boss on the phone and said they had room in another hotel but I had read the reviews and refused because I had booked here . Eventually I got my money back when the boss turned up and begged us not to write a bad review.The main reason I'm disappointed is they could of got 240.00 for that one night and because I had booked a trip to devils bridge the next day I ended up driving an extra 150 miles. I would not book here again or use the company that recommends this place

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Jamicalex
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed in room 5 bedroom very small problem passing each other around bed, smallest on suite i have ever seen if we had been larger people we would not have been able to use it. Room 5 is located on the second floor after climbing two flights of spiral stairs with suitcases you are left shattered no lift. Breakfast was serve down in a cellar which became very over crowded when 6 to 8 people were eating at the same time no air condition very hot service very slow had to keep asking for food. When booking asked for deluxe room, only thing deluxe about it was the price £140 per night very over priced. Only plus thing about the b/b was the view clean room and breakfast when you managed to get it.

• Stayed: August 2013