“Positive Experience!”

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Positive Experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Having only thought to read the largely negative reviews on here the day before our stay, I was a bit concerned about staying at this place. However, it actually isn't bad at all - the room was clean, the staff were friendly, the location is great and it was very cheap, relative to other options in the town. Obviously, I wouldn't be too pleased if I'd been "bumped down" from a different hotel, as other users have said they were but, if you're booking the Queensbridge itself, then I wouldn't be concerned at all - had a perfectly pleasant stay!

Room Tip: The rooms looking onto the seafront are nice - the sound of the crashing waves is actually quite the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Paris
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Beware of scam. Booked the Four Seasons, and on arrival, we were told there was a boiler problem and being sent to their "sister" hotel, the Queensbridge. It seems this little story is recurring, and there is some kind of scam going on. Little did we know we were being sent to a disgraceful dump of a place. Both places are operated by the same manager, so we have posted reviews for both. We were given no advance warning of the change, even though they had all of our contact details and worse, the Four Seasons even charged our credit card before we arrived (not that anyone had the decency to let us know -- we on dlyiscovered the next day on our own ! But that is not the worst. Arrived at Queensbridge to find a squalid, rundown dump of a place. Nice enough receptionist but we should have realised something was strange when she asked us nothing upon check-in. No id, no credit card, nothing. Turns out it is because the payment had already been processed, but we didn't find that out until later the next day. Room was disgraceful. Door wouldn't lock from inside, furnishings questionable, room smelly, carpets dirty, radiator miniscule and with dirt underneath, window broken so noisy, drafty, and heard rain all night. Curtains also dirty. Bathroom and bedsheets were clean, thankfully, but toilet ran, and bathroom needs to be stripped out and re-done. Breakfast was included but we didn't want to risk things especially after reading other reviews about breakfast room cleanliness- plus it was served in a dank basement room! Also, we found the same situation as some earlier reviewers - the so-called lounge and bar were closed, and full of linens being stored, so they even advertise their facilities falselyLooked up Queensbridge. Has two stars. Deserves less. We had to complain & return to Four Seasons and demand a discount after we discovered we'd been automaticaly charged the full 75 pounds for the Four Seasons! And we couldn't even get a receipt. Discount we finally received after demanding it and waiting for the receptionist at the Four Seasons to check with this invisible manager was pathetic, only 15 pounds. Paying 60 pounds for Queensbridge is unacceptable. But by then we wanted to get far away after a terrible night! Many probably don't go to the effort to go back to ask for discount, so in the end these terrible rip- off artists continue on their merry way. You almost have to laugh at the signs offering a 10% discount for any parents of Aberystwyth University students who return for a second stay. You must be joking! Try anything else in Aberystwyth!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SandboxMama

Travelers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Barry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We did not stay here from choice, but were bumped here from the Four Seasons, which we had actually booked 2 months previously. (see separate review). Firstly, this is not a hotel, but a B & B. There is no bar, no restaurant, and the advertised wi-fi was not present.

On arrival we were presented with the room keys, but I was not allowed to take my 3 year old granddaughter to the rooms until my son-in-law had paid. We had booked 2 rooms, a double for myself and my wife, and a family room for my daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter. The rooms themselves were basic, but clean. Our stay was further spoilt (after the initial bumping) by a disturbed night due partly to the lack of any night porterage. We were first woken at about 3.30 a.m. by drunks coming in late and banging on doors. Worse, at 5 a.m. my granddaughter was woken abrubtly by some drunks knocking on their bedroom door and shouting for someone. My son-in-law told them they were knocking on the wrong door, and they eventually left with a stream of four letter words. These drunks then went up to our floor and were banging on the door next to our room. Eventually, as it got light, we decided we may as well get up and go out for an early morning walk.

We returned for breakfast, which was another disappointment. As another reviewer remarked, the cooked breakfast looked ok, but the table and dishes looked grubby. The glasses still smelt of orange juice, as if they had not been properly washed. In fact, I and my daughter were the only ones in our party of 5 to risk breakfast.

The room rate of £85 a night for each room would be reasonable for a hotel, but not for a sub-standard B & B / Hostel.

My experience of this weekend has not only put me off visiting this group of hotels, but also put us off visiting Aberystwyth again any time soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Orchid56
Biggar, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I can't believe this place is still in operation! I can't believe that people are still paying good money to stay here! Have they not read the recent articles in the national press concerning this place? I hesitate to call it a hotel. It is a dreadful place. I have not read one review which suggests that either the bar and/or the lift are functional or are ever functioning. The rooms are basic to say the least. My window leaked and the bathroom(?) was dire. Everything, it seems, is worn, worn-out or just plain not working. Vertiginously over priced at £95 per night even when taking my son to university last September. In short people, go elsewhere. Please.

Room Tip: I only stayed in one room so I could not comment. However, I suspect there are no good rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank 1Jas
Windsor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

In need of a lot of money to be spent on this dated hotel.
Room was just ok,
No towel rails in bathroom, so all towel are on the floor.
Friendly staff

Room Tip: Inspect room before you accept it
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

my wife and i had a nice welcome when we booked into the hotel the room was very nice sea view the breakfast next morning was exelent the only drawback we had was the noise from the ajoining property's during the night from the students .

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport, South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for one night. very friendly and brilliant position with a sea view. Really good buffet breakfast including full English. would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012