“FAB FOOD AND SETTING - SHAME ABOUT MANAGER”
Review of Nanteos Mansion

Nanteos Mansion
Ranked #8 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 23, 2013

There was 7 of us eating at the restaurant on Friday the 20th of September. We had booked the food for 8pm - we got there at 730 and wanted to have a drink in the lounge, however the manager was rushing us in and wouldn't let us have a drink in the lounge. All the other staff members were LOVELY and the service was great bar to the manager. He was very rude and wasn't treating customers like he should be. The food was fab though and the house red and white was lovely!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lowlewis
NanteosGM, General Manager at Nanteos Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Lowlewis,

Thank you for your kind comments about my staff and the quality of the food and wine. However I take exception at your comments with regard to myself. At no time was I rude to you or your party, and feel that I have to respond to your comments to put into perspective the evening in question.

You booked a party of 8 for the restaurant that evening, for which we had requested that you preordered from our menu. The restaurant was full on this evening due to the University going back and therefore we had to carefully control the pacing of the tables of the restaurant to ensure that all would have an enjoyable culinary experience. You had booked a table for 7.30pm, therefore we would expect you to arrive a 7.00pm for your table at 7.30pm. We did not assume this and in fact on two separate occasions, prior to the day when you tried to move your table to 8.00pm we informed you that due to how busy we were that night, regrettably you could not move the table time.

You then choose to arrive at Mansion at 7.35pm, I greeted you at the door and apologised to the party, and asked that you take your seats within the restaurant straight away for the reasons above.

You will recall that at reception I once again apologised, and explained the above once more and stated that I did not wish it to have any impact upon your evening and that you would be well cared for.

Upon departure, I wished you all a good evening and thanked you all for coming.

How all of this constitutes as being rude I really do not know and can only apologise if you thought, by trying to ensure all of our guests were well cared for, was rude. Unfortunately the life of a general manager is not always a smooth one, and we do not get it right all of time, however I think 83 excellent reviews out of 97 having only been operating since May of last year is a pretty good testament as to how my staff and I ensure our customers are well cared for.

Once again I would like to thank you for your time taken to post your experience and hope that we will welcome you back to the Mansion in the not to distant future.

With kind regards,
Mark Rawlings-Lloyd
General Manager.

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

After a long journey and my sat nav giving up the ghost I finally arrived down a long leafy drive to the front of this lovely house.
From the moment that I was greeted by Chis the porter until I left the next day I was looked after like a long lost family member.
Nanteos really is quite different, a bit quirky but very warm and welcoming.
I happened to be there on a fish suppliers night and was treated to perfectly cooked fresh fish that the waiter informed was from Brixham in South Devon and from the local Cardiganshire coast.
Very few things in life are perfect and nor is Nanteos but it comes very close if you are looking for somewhere off the beaten track where relaxation comes easily.
The staff were all charming and I am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Martin P
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I recently booked a night away at Nanteos for our anniversary. I paid £250.00 for a luxury double room, evening meal and breakfast, so it was a real treat for us! We were really pleased when we arrived at this beautiful country mansion. Unfortunately, the rest of the experience didn't live up to our first impression.. The staff were welcoming and the room was lovely except for a crack in the paint work,which for the effort of a bit of filler and paint, you would have expected from a luxury double!

Most disappointing was the meal. The resteraunt wasn't open because of a wedding the following day, which we were not told at booking or arrival. So we ate in the bar. The cost didn't include any drinks and after a disappointing cocktail at a cost of £10.50 each (very diluted moquito) we ordered from the a La Carte menu. My husband ordered the steak, and when we asked what cut it was, we were simply told 'cut of beef'..which was flame grilled (burnt) on the outside and had no flavour! My smoked mash had no seasoning and the Game Wellington was ok! Following the meal we were asked our views we told two seperate waiters our issues with the food, which was pointless as they just acknowledged our comments and nothing else!

Overall, for such a special occasion we were really disapointed and expected a lot more for the price. Would not recommend..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Helen O
Mark R, General Manager at Nanteos Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Helen O,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Nanteos, I was, naturally disappointed to read your comments with regard to your stay and can only apologise that you did enjoy your stay with us.
With reference to the comment you have made regarding your room, the Mansion is over 250 years old, and has only recently been centrally heated throughout, the building is still in the process of drying out, and whilst the cracking of paintwork this creates has lessened it is still ongoing and we continually address.

With regard to your dining experience, once more I can only apologise if our offering was not to your liking, your mojitos were made to the standard house recipe by an experienced cocktail barman, on the evening you said they were too weak for yourselves and he topped up the alcohol within the cocktail to your liking.

I am surprised by your remarks regarding staff knowledge of the dish and to your comments with regard to the quality of the cuisine, we receive a great deal of positive responses to the quality of the cuisine served at the Mansion, the beef dish and quality of the meat in particular is widely praised and the single biggest selling main course. Praise for the Mansion is bourn out by the overwhelmingly large number of positive contributions to trip advisor for a business that is only just a year old.

However, this is no excuse for a poor experience at the Mansion, we take a great deal of pride in our level of customer care at the Mansion, and believe that you are judged on this, whilst everyone would like their experience to be perfect on every occasion, unfortunately life is not like that, and what stands a property aside from another is how it puts things right if they do go wrong.

It is most unfortunate that we did not have the opportunity to discuss the above prior to your departure, so that I would be able to make amends, I would invite you to contact me personally (mark@nanteos.com) so that I may be able to tempt you back to the Mansion to enjoy the delights of Nanteos.

Thank you once again for your comments, we never treat them lightly, and firmly believe that it is only through constructive criticism that one can continually monitor the customer experience enabling us to ensure we also reflect on what we offer.

With kind regards

Mark Rawlings-Lloyd
General Manager.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

lovely stay in this old house, much more of a stately home still rather than a hotel with a handful of rooms the service given by the manager and his staff is great. more expensive than others in the area ive stayed in, but is really in a class of its own and cannot be compared to any of the other hotels in the abberystwyth area. its peaceful and realaxing, our bathroom in the colonel powell room was heavenly, proper shutters on the windows meant it was dark enough to satisfy anyone even in height of summer.
doesnt have a pool or anything, but relaxing walks and tea in the lounge more than make up for it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jodiejoe33
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Nanteos was the perfect wedding venue for our spring wedding. The manager Mark obviously has a huge amount of experience organising weddings and helped us plan everything so the day went completely smoothly. The staff could not have been more wonderful. They were so helpful and friendly. We took over the entire hotel with 65 people and it was the perfect size. The mews house was a brilliant base for the bride or grooms family and the honeymoon suite is stunning. The whole place was completely emaculate. All our guests commented on it being the best wedding they had ever been to. The venue and grounds made for beautiful photos. The ceremony room in particular was absolutely stunning. The chef keith was great. We had a couple of chats with him about the menu and he even helped us design our own pudding. We had a food tasting session beforehand and the standard was really high. Despite cooking for a large group of people the standard did not slip one bit. The place has real old fashioned charm and a sense of quality without being at all pretentious or showy. Really like having your own grand stately home for the weekend. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone for their wedding.
In addition we have stayed here on 4 or 5 separate occasions for a weekend away and it is a wonderful, quiet escape from london with some truely beautiful scenery.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just spent a couple of nights at Nanteos Mansion. A very tastefully restored property in the Welsh countryside. The rooms are modern yet keep some old features. The food is excellent and the staff were knowledgeable and very helpful indeed.

Room Tip: If bathrooms are you're thing - go for the Colonel Powell room!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hootchersone
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was excited to stay here after reading some magnificent reviews about the House. I will refer it as a House as it is completely different from the normal Hotel experience. It is distinctive in character and you really do feel like you are part of the bygone days of country manor living.

I know that I must have arrived at a busy time and that the porter cannot be at the door all the time but I was left to carry my bag from the taxii to reception. Not a big problem. However I was then kept waiting at reception while a booking was being taken. the receptionist did apologise for keeping me waiting.. She swiftly directed me to my suite without further delay. I stayed in the Colonel Powell suite. A spacious room with the most wonderful bathroom. Cupboard space was cleverly placed within a small area and may not fulfil the needs of some female guests with little hanging space. I found the welcome coffee tray a little cumbersome to use with its coffee pods and managed to master it by day 2. I enjoyed the most comfortable nights sleep in a huge double bed.
I made a reservation for dinner at 730 and had a pre drink at the bar. A lovely relaxing area with leather chairs . The menu was shown to me and I ordered my meal. There was a delay and about 745pm I asked the waiter if my table was ready. He said he hadn't placed my food order through so ivy table wasn't ready. I left to make a phone call and returned at 8pm to be asked by the batman that he had forgotten what I had ordered and could I could confirm it again. I was eventually seated by 810pm. The service in the dining room was impeccable and every need seen to. The steak was wonderful and I left the dining room extremely happy. Breakfast is taken in another part of the mansion. Again a wonderful room. Sadly on two mornings I had to sit at a table that was not set and had to chase the waitress for cutlery. Breakfast supplies could also have been replenished a little faster with fruit and yoghurt dishes in particular . One point I must raise is lack of mobile signals in the house. My suite had no signal for my O2 blackberry. Internet wi fi was available in the room with boosters available from reception. Set amidst the most magnificent countryside, there are some lovely areas in the grounds that could be discovered. The pond, the pet cemetery and the walled garden. The porter was vey knowledgable and obviously took pride in his job ensuring the guests were looked after. It was good to see the Hotel Manager present at front of house. Something very rare these days but very welcome. I loved this House and will certainly recommend it to my friends. One of the best experiences I have enjoyed in a long while. With the planned addition of a leisure centre I feel that will make the guests experience even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Grab a suite if you can.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NeilFaust
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberystwyth
Gwesty Cymru
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
#5 of 13 in Aberystwyth
The Hafod Hotel
The Hafod Hotel
#2 of 2 in Devil's Bridge (Pontarfynach)

Been to Nanteos Mansion? Share your experiences!