“Superb hotel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Superb hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is luxury! The hotel is set in beautiful grounds, and is a very well restored mansion. The public areas are spacious and comfortable, and the bedrooms wonderful. The bathroom was very large, beautifully decorated with a large walk-in shower. The space in the bedroom and bathroom had been used very imaginatively. Tea, coffee and fresh milk were provided in the room. Breakfast was excellent - try the full Welsh!

Although we arrived late the staff made sandwiches for a meal - very good and very welcome. The staff in general were very friendly and helpful.

We got a very good rate for a late booking, but even at the normal rate this would be good value for money.

Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Not usually the TripAdvisor type but having recently enjoying a stay at Nanteos Mansion I felt I had to make a review, after being a frequent visitor of Aberystwyth there has always been a lack of luxury in the town, but not any more. From start to finish the hotel swept me off my feet, from the moment of arrival I was greeted by a very friendly young man who showed me through to the reception area where I was given a guided tour of the beautiful house and then shown to my room which can only be described as breath-taking. I later explored the grounds and met an elderly gent named Chris who told me some amazing facts about the house! I really got the feeling that the staff enjoy working at this hotel. Later that evening I dined in the Nightingale Restaurant where the service/food did not disappoint! I can truly say it was 1 of the best dining experiences I've had. To sum it all up the sun shined for the duration of my stay which was an added bonus and I will certainly return!

Room Tip: Waking up to a front facing view is breathtaking!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn H
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed for two nights between family events. The room was spacious and beautiful, with luxurious furnishings - though no more than I would expect for the price I paid. I was woken early both mornings by service deliveries and by garden maintenance machinery. I appreciate that lawns need to be mowed, but maybe the areas nearest to the hotel could be left until after 10 am? The mansion itself has been well renovated and it has the wow factor as you are shown to your room. There is a signed walk around the grounds, but the signage could be improved - I got very lost!! Breakfast is served in the old kitchen which is a lovely space. On the first morning, however, I was the only person having breakfast and the waitress on duty stayed in the room watching me throughout, which was a most uncomfortable experience and meant I did not enjoy the meal. The second morning was much better, as a different waitress came in and out of the room and got on with other things such as re-stocking the cereal buffet whilst I was eating which was much more discreet and meant she was on hand for anything I wanted without making me feel uncomfortable. All waiting staff should be trained to do this. At check-out I was given an inquisition about my onward travel plans. The young guy on the desk seemed impervious to the monosyllabic answers I was giving which were intended to convey that it was none of his business, and kept up the questioning. I felt like I was being given the third degree! I suggest that management give some additional training on customer care. Showing a friendly interest is one thing, but discretion and respect for privacy are also important and I would expect a hotel of this calibre (and price!) to get the balance right.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Cotswolds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Hired the whole hotel for the weekend for a family celebration of 32 guests. Absolutely top marks to the team at Nanteos for making it a great and memorable experience. The quality of everything was top notch – the rooms, the dining, and especially the staff who were without exception enthusiastic and helpful. Nanteos handled all the weekend arrangements including musical and other entertainment – all proved excellent. It’s a beautiful building and has been transformed into a great hotel and with an excellent team is very worthy of 5 stars. Just two suggestions! It would be better to find a way of making deliveries of supplies to the hotel other than driving up to the front door – it rather spoilt the enjoyment of sitting outside, and I could have done without the early call each morning as the night porter, on leaving, started his motorbike in front of the hotel! Two small issues, easily remedied, in an otherwise exceptional experience

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Should you be in this in this area it is well worth while, if you and just planning a very brief visit, to try the splendid afternoon tea. It rivals any of the ' London hotel ' teas and is less expensive. If you are able to get there on a Wednesday then a excellent free conducted tour of the main house outlining its fascinating history is available. This either precedes or follows the tea and it is advisable to book ahead.. The bedrooms are well furnished, although the decor is a little dull, in keeping with the period. The music room,main reception rooms and the great old kitchen have been very well restored as have the dining room, where, I'm told, excellent meals, are served.
Although there is a helicopter landing pad Nanteos Mansion is not that easy to locate by road due to an inward looking local county authority preventing the erection of helpful road signs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the house. There is also very good accommodation in the converted sta...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

All the time we spent at this beautiful hotel the staff could not do enough. We enjoyed every momment the meals were super I only had one fault to make. On the breakfast menu Rachels yoghuts are there ,were there any no. An extreamly small blip in a lovely holiday if we are in Wales again we would certainly make a return visit.

Room Tip: As there is compleat silence here. If you are at all worried about noise it really does not matter...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had just one night at this beautiful house while at Aberystwyth uni graduation. It is not really a hotel to take younger children to but a fantastic parkland setting, beautifully restored building and excellent staff gave the impression of being at a friends weekend party not staying in a hotel.
The final additions of a spa will be the icing on the cake.
The finishing touches of the 'Do not disturb' bear and sealed welcome letter (wax seal!) with the chocolate are just examples of the attention to detail at Nanteos.
I will definatly put it on my must return list.

Room Tip: I stayed in 'Col Powell' in the main house. These rooms have retained the full character of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo