“Sheer Heaven”

Nanteos Mansion
Ranked #8 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I wanted two nights near Aberystwyth when we visited our daughter this weekend. I found a good deal on Late Rooms and at £99 this was a heaven sent bargain. Just ensure your sat nav points you to the front door and not the rear, non-accessiable entrance and you will be set for a wonderful stay. We had the Hafod luxury room and it was just that. From the moment we arrived the service was fantastic. The staff smiling and helpful ensured you could focus on just enjoying your stay. The country house oozes charm and decadence and for two nights we felt spoiled, the way it should be at places such as this. Although we dined out on both evenings with our daughter, the full Welsh breakfast was superb. Cannot fault it in any way and we will be back!

Room Tip: I cannot imagine any room would be a bad choice!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aintree9

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have been lucky to experience afternoon tea in this gorgeous mansion on a few occasions, and every time the food, service and welcome has been wonderful, The little dog you have, which gave us such a lovely welcome, is so cute, and adds to the character of the place. I look forward to experiencing evening meal there very soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Nanteos Mansion is a classic Georgian mansion, the home of the Powell family in the 18th and 19th centuries and one of the best examples of its genre. Various attempts have been made over the years to restore the building but now, at very considerable expense, the present owners have transformed the building into an exceptionally good hotel. We didn't have an opportunity to dine there, although I have heard high praise, but if the breakfast was anything to go by, then it should be good. Our room was stunning - with lovely views, excellent facilities, a splendid en-suite bathroom with separate shower, and with very nice touches, little gifts of chocolates etc. Altogether this was a memorable stay and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. It's about 2 miles out of Aberystwyth but set in 26 acres of parkland and this adds to the tranquility of the hotel. Incidentally, I don't quite understand why it is categoried as B&B/Inn - it is clearly one of the very best hotels in the whole area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front have lovely views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Highly recommended. Beautifully decorated large self catering mews house attached to Nanteos Mansion. 4 large double bedrooms, 3 lovely bathrooms, spacious living areas - kitchen, tv area, quiet reading area, 2 dining areas, large entrance hall with storage for all outdoor clothing. Excellent toiletries, Tassimo coffee machine and good selection of pods, still and sparkling water in fridge, complementary chocolates and toffee waffles. A shame we only had one night there but would urge you to try it - you won't be disappointed. Grounds also lovely, including the 18th century pet cemetery. Would love to return sometime soon.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I chose Nanteos to celebrate my 40th birthday and had I couldn't have asked for better. I booked the entire hotel for my friends and family, they all loved it as much as I did. The mansion has been decorated and furnished to a good standard and each suite has it's own unique style. Everyone was delighted with their accommodation. We stayed in the Nightingale suite which really has the wow factor and great views across the grounds.

The food was excellent, I've never seen so many options for breakfast, which in many hotels can be disappointing. I had organised a dinner on the Saturday night and all of my guests were very happy.

The staff, headed by Mark, the general manager, were very helpful with all my arrangements and nothing was too much trouble. They were friendly and professional.

I'd definitely recommend a stay at Nanteos if you're visiting the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night in February but had mixed feelings. We had the Colonel Powell Suite which was very nice with a fabulous bathroom. The bed was one of the most comfortable that we have ever slept in. The quality of the furnishings and bedding was high class.

We dined in the main restaurant which was a large room with no atmosphere with staff that gave the impression they want to serve you quickly so you would leave quickly! The food was not of the standard we expected from an establishment of this calibre. In contrast, breakfast was superb. The food was excellent, the waitress was friendly and seemed to genuinely want the guests to enjoy their breakfast - a marked difference from the staff in the restaurant the previous evening.

I think that the hotel needs to employ staff that really WANT their guests to enjoy their stay rather than think that they can train them to do this. On our arrival we were met by a member of staff with an umbrella when we got out of the car but on our departure (same weather conditions) no assistance was offered.

Having said all that, this is a lovely hotel and good value for the special rate that we paid (£95 for the night - did not include evening meal).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuluWales
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed there for two nights. The staffs were really friendly including the dog. The staffs cannot do enough for you. Nothing is a problem to facilitate. The room was superbly decorated, very clean and very comfortable bed. Plenty of tea coffee and Welsh cakes
Superb food. Great value for money. I highly recommend the hotel and would love to go back again

F.Fariba

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
#8 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Gwesty'r Marine Hotel
Gwesty'r Marine Hotel
#10 of 13 in Aberystwyth

Been to Nanteos Mansion? Share your experiences!