“2nd visit, would still highly recommend”
Review of Nanteos Mansion

Nanteos Mansion
Ranked #7 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wales
“2nd visit, would still highly recommend”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Visited Nanteos Mansion again recently on business and would still highly recommend the hotel. Paid a rate of £90.00 which was excellent value.

A few points though; the evening that I stayed was very warm, and the room which I stayed in did not have functioning sash windows. It was virtually impossible to open the sashes as they appeared to have been painted closed. I therefore decided to leave the bedroom veranda door open through the night but had problems with mosquitos entering the room. Upon check out, I was not asked by the reception staff if "everything was ok with the stay" which I felt was quite poor. Therefore, I had to offer this information myself.

I did write to the manager which wasn't responded on to on the first occasion, and I had to send a second email which in fairnesswas replied to; although in my opinion in quite a defensive manner.

However, the hotel was still spotlessly clean, the bar service fantastic, and standard of breakfast, first class.

I would still highly recommend, it is a special place and well worth the cost.

I would have given 5 stars if not for the issues encountered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RAMCYMRU

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I've stayed at the Nanteos Mansion a few times of the years and would wholeheartily recommend a stay here if you're over in West Wales.

There is something quite Evelyn Waugh about the place. The whole ambience to this Georgian period mansion is an experience you will always remember.

Great decor and lovely food.

Enjoy

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dean W
Cheltenham
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was away on business last week in North Wales and had booked a room at the Nanteos Mansion for one night only. A fantastic looking place. On arrival I was greeted in the car park by a man who resembled the character Alfred the butler in the Batman movies, played by Michael Caine. He asked if I had a good journey and apologised for the weather (Rain) and offered to take my luggage and me under his unbrella to the reception area. I was greeted and taken to my suite room the Hafod at a cost of £100 per night inc breakfast. The room was excellent with lovely bathroom, wide screen tv, and fridge. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. I also enjoyed a very nice two course dinner, with drinks including wine for around £30, great value. The staff were very attentive during my short stay and could not do enough to ensure I had a pleasant stay. I would highly recommend this hotel and staff
Many Thanks to you all

Room Tip: I am sure they are all to the standard of the Hafod
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Steve57hereford
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband & I spent 2 nights B&B at this absolutely jewel of a place to stay!
We stayed in the Formosa Suite after dropping our little 'fresher' off at the local uni, we wanted to stay close by whilst he settled in.
The staff were friendly, attentive, polite and knowledgable. Breakfast was del-is-ous!! We had no problems with obtaining a table for breakfast, but a few guests were asked to wait for one to become free. Breakfast is served in the original kitchen.
We were advised that there is more restoration planned for the future including a spa!
I only have a vw polo, so I hope they dont forget to budget for attention to the driveway, there were a few pot holes to avoid and a small flood, but with a little care and attention it is possible.
I wish I could keep this place a secret, it truely is a fabulous place to stay!
THANK YOU NANTEOS - we hope to return VERY soon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BanburyCake
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

A real discovery. Tastefully restored Georgian mansion in handsome grounds with stunning views. Really personable, good value for the excellent quality. Rooms very spacious and pleasantly done, wonderful breakfast. Very tranquil but still walking distance to Aberystwyth town. Could benefit from better signage for local walks running routes and public transport links. But otherwise brilliant.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank DavidLGardner
Maidenhead
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed one night when taking our son back to Uni. We have now stayed in a few places around Aber and thought we would splash out a bit and stay here this time. So pleased we did as this is a lovely hotel with beautiful rooms and friendly staff.
We stayed in the Ynyslas room which overlooks the front ( I think most of the rooms do). Good bed linens, nice size bathroom with lovely Penhaligons toiletries! We didn't eat at the restaurant, but the breakfast was v.good. Overall the house has a lovely friendly atmosphere, and whilst all the hotel facilities are modern, it does retain the historic feel to the house. Looking out at the front of the house you could almost be on the set of a mansion in Pride and Prejudice. Charming hotel for a romantic weekend ( with or without Mr Darcy!) .
Will stay here again and try to get there earlier to spend more time looking around the grounds and try the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SLMaidenhead
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed for a night and had dinner in the restaurant.
The welcome was warm and genuine, the rooms were spacious and very well presented. It felt like staying in a mansion as a house guest. There was lots of information about the history of the house for those who are interested. Dinner was lovely with a good range of choices on the menu and served promptly. Breakfast offered a good selection of freshly cooked dishes as well as a buffet for cereals, fruit, yoghurt, pastries, etc.
We will definitely return here in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Revkc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberystwyth
Conrah Hotel
#5 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Harry's Hotel
Harry's Hotel
#7 of 13 in Aberystwyth

Been to Nanteos Mansion? Share your experiences!