“Incredible service and accommodation”
Review of Nanteos Mansion

Nanteos Mansion
Ranked #7 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tregaron, United Kingdom
“Incredible service and accommodation”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This fantastic hotel is superbly managed and the service is beyond compare anywhere in the UK. If you want truly spoiling and wonderful food with individually designed rooms, this is the only hotel in West Wales for you - higly recommended. Ask for the manager Mark - he is beyond helpful. Also I saw that there was a wedding on while we were there - it seemed an ideal location for this and business events as they are so efficient. Grounds are beautiful. New conversion so everything is brand new. Staff are also dressed to perfection makes a great change to find this level of service in rural West Wales. Try their champagne afternoon teas!

Room Tip: ask the managers advice on which he would recommend for your puposes. IN 32 acres you will not be di...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Wales
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed at Nanteos for one night on business and was very impressed. The mansion itself is outstanding luxury, and all of the staff were attentive. Food was also excellent. Would highly recommend this hotel, and is very good value for money. Worthy of 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RAMCYMRU
Bruxelles, Belgique
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Our First visit to Wales was really gorgeous.
We stayed with Friends for one night on June 18th, 2012.
Very nice surroundings, a travel back in the time with 21st Century Luxury.
Very Friendly staff, perfect service, great food with a Touch of French Cuisine ( try the Chocolate desert ... a perfect meal discovery on its own)
Try the bar ... very good whiskies and the Penderyn was excellent and correctly priced
The Breakfast in former Mansion kitchen was also a discovery ( not only for the taste but also for the atmosphere ... one could feel the activities from former times)
Try it before being recognised, I am sure today prices will not be able to cover the luxury you are pampered with!
The spa is under construction, but no noise / issues perceived during our stay

Room Tip: Take the Formosa with the noise of a natural spring in the garden ...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Having received an invitation card promoting afternoon tea in the post we took the family(party of 8) for a treat. The offer had finished so for full afternoon tea was £13.95 each we prebooked to ensure our reservation. Our table was situated in a drafty thoroughfare at the bottom of the stairs, the tea was luke warm, the sandwiches,cheese, cucumber, and salmon were on supermarket bread, poorly cut and inadequate portions, such that we had to ask for more - for which we were charged £6.50 for 1 sandwich, poorly cut and presented. .The scones (not warm or fresh) were already with cream and jam, so not allowing the choice of whether you had cream, jam or butter ( no butter in sight), Nanteos cupcake looked and tasted like the mini muffins I buy for the kids from the local supermarket. All in all it was a real disappointment because of the lack of attention to detail - it could be so right and yet was so wrong! The location and building is beautiful, staff whilst inexperienced were friendly. Nanteos advertises itself as a quality country house hotel which is reflected in the prices and if you charge these prices you have to deliver.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Bon-Vivant1312
London
Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

We booked into the Nanteos for two night stay and thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Mansion. The hotel, set in stunning grounds, perfectly encapsulates the team`s aim to make you feel as if you are a guest in a country house rather than a hotel. On both days of our stay we explored the woodlands, lake and nature trails, a great way to escape from life in the city.

Our room, the `Elan` was immaculate, tastefully designed and well equipped, albeit a little warm from the underfloor heating at times. Our package included breakfast and dinner both nights and the food was excellent, i would recommend the lamb!

Not a drawback in any way, but a point to note, the team is new and in some areas inexperienced, however, given that they have recruited from the local area and the hotel had been open only 5 weeks, this is to be expected. What more than made up for this was their polite, enthusiastic and friendly manner throughout and although some had to go away to find an answer, you always got one!

Overall a fantastic hotel which we have recommended to friends and will be visiting again!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MowgliVXR
Newcastle Emlyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on the 9th June '12 for our first wedding anniversary, we had a fantastic stay with fab food. Plenty of choice on the menu :-) enjoyed a few cocktails in the bar. Our room was lovely and the setting of the mansion is amazing! Breakfast in the morning was delicious. Staff were friendly and always on hand if needed. Most certainly will be revisiting the hotel. Hopefully for a longer stay next time :-)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Liz E
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I recently stayed here for about two and a half weeks as work was carried out on my flat that had been flooded back in the main town. I have been fortunate enough to have stayed in many fine establishments in the past and eaten in some exceptional restaurants and I must say that Nanteos is now up there with those.

The building itself is stunning, and the countryside surrounding it is beautiful and peaceful. For me it was a real treat to be waking up back in the countryside despite the centre Aberystwyth being only 2 and a half miles or so away. The first room I stayed in was the Colonel Powell Suite within the main hotel, decorated with warmth and inspirations of travelling. However the highlight of the room rested on the magnificent bathroom that was almost the same size of the room itself. A walk in shower, a roll top bath and a heated bench in the centre, perfect for a good old relax at the end of the day. The second room I stayed in and for most of my stay was the Edda suite in the old Bakery building, which has an Icelandic inspiration. It was perfect for a long duration, as it felt very homey and once again very comfortable.

But none of these things would matter if it were not for the staff. They couldn’t do enough for me and were always on hand to help. This encompassed every one of them, managers, waiters/resses, reception, porters and chef’s. Staying alone in a hotel can feel exceptionally lonely but they all made me feel very much at home and I enjoyed talking to everyone of them.

On the food I have no idea where to start. During my time I worked my way through every dish on the menu. My favourite had to be the duck rillettes which held up to those I have out in it’s native France, and also the Lamb which was very tasty, and the burnt orange panna cotta which was divine! Every dish was presented wonderfully and created with great skill. They were also very flexible and the Head Chef had no problem in allowing me to eat earlier than usual and opening the kitchen for me, also when I had to leave by 7 am and before breakfast he gave me the option of having it then (though I don’t really eat that early). The Maitre d’ even made me up a Chai tea, adding spices to another infusion as they didn’t have their own, which made me evening that day.

I very much enjoyed my stay here and at the end of the 2 and a half weeks in almost felt like home and it felt strange saying goodbye to them all. Not a bad end to my time in Aberystwyth and I think without a doubt the place deserves their 5 star status, and hope that one day in the future I shall return for another visit. Thank you to everyone who made my stay so memorable!

Room Tip: If you love a good soak in the tub, Colonel Powell's bathroom is a great place to relax.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Smwttydog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberystwyth
Conrah Hotel
#5 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Richmond Hotel
Richmond Hotel
#2 of 13 in Aberystwyth

Been to Nanteos Mansion? Share your experiences!