“Must do”

Silver Mountain Experience
Ranked #8 of 32 things to do in Aberystwyth
More attraction details
Owner description: A choice of Actor-led Experiences: The Black Chasm Orcs, Goblins, Wraiths & other Myths. Wales' scariest underground adventure. This experience is not for the faint hearted! Not recommended for under 10's. A Dragon's Tale Why risk the nightmare of Black Chasm when you can join the search for Grotty, Silver Mountain's mystical, secretive and shy dragon. Our new for 2014 actor-led adventure for families. Suitable for children from the age of 4yrs. A Miner's Life This guided tour immerses you in the original and rare setting of the mine, both above and below ground and helps you to discover the fascinating facts of mining life in by-gone times as it would have been seen through the eyes of a miner. Family-active 4 new hands-on features including Shroomy Challenge, Shroomy Circle, Giant's Button Puzzle, Giant's Pan Pipes. Woo Hoo Wood Younger members of the family will delight in the magic of Woo Hoo Wood where they can find their way through the Tangle-Foot Maze, search for the answers to the Woo Hoo Quest, glimpse the Kindlings' Tree Village or try a spot of Den-building - with some help from the grown-ups too! Gem / Gold Panning* Next to the Silver River Water Play area you can try your hand at panning for gems or for 'gold'. One of our most popular activities this is totally absorbing for young and old! * Modest charges apply Silver River Play Area Even more for the kids and the young at heart to enjoy with the chance to safely dam and divert the water in the wooden channels or paddle in the stream and carry on with the dam-building theme! (Crocs/footwear advised for paddling). Mining Exhibition This indoor museum holds one of the finest collections of hard rock mining machinery, tools and ephemera in Wales, reflecting the story of silver-lead ore extraction in the Cambrian Mountains over many centuries. Coffee Shop Our cosy coffee shop offers fresh from-the-bean coffees, teas, delicious hot chocolate, cold drinks and ices, hot soup, paninis, toasties, sandwiches, cold snacks and tempting cakes & muffins. Gift Shop Provides the chance to browse a fascinating and colourful display of gemstone & mineral gifts plus plenty of fun items for the kids to choose from too.
Stafford, England, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Must do”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is a must do event that was loved by me and my partner we did the chasm(adult) and we loved it,got very scared as we was the only 2 on the tour with the tour guild he make it fun and was very enjoyable

Visited July 2013

Stirling, Scotland
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Disorganised, bizarre but memorable experience”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Arrived on a blustery day during the Easter Holidays and seemed to catch the attraction by surprise. Despite being almost the only visitors it took an age to check in but we eventually signed up to the Black Chasm experience and whiled away the time beforehand by panning for gems and following the heritage trail. The experience itself was a guided tour of the mine led by a dwarf (like a cross between a wookie and Frankie Boyle) who heroically stayed in character for an hour of provocation, information and hilarity - most of it intentional. Unless you are too far up your own black chasm then you should find it enjoyable and certainly find it memorable. Good place for coffee or lunch just up the road at the Forestry Commission red kite centre.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank grampian14
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“now the "silver mountain experience"”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

not very accessible with a buggy but the friendly staff are more then happy to look after it for you if you have come on the bus.

Children loved exploring Woo Woo Woods and looking for the secret creatures.
The facts are well written and the story is lovely.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank chickywiggle
Leeds, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“The best scary fun I've had in ages”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I thought this might be a bit boring when we arrived on a very wet day, just before the flooding in June, I wasn't expecting much. My 11 year old daughter said we should go on the underground trip and the actors that take you round were brilliant. It was so entertaining, interesting and towards the end a bit scary in fact a few younger children and adults had to leave as they could not complete the journey. I would say it was well worth the money and would recommend to all families but not young ones if they get scared or you don't like dark - and I mean dark confined spaces. There are signs to warn you but I thought it wouldn't be that scary but the last bit was!!!!!! Go on enjoy it and laugh abour it later.

Visited June 2012
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Made for one of the most hilarious anecdotes of my life”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We came to the mine after following an outdated brochure that told of the lead and silver mine experience, whilst camping in the rain in a very poor attempt at a holiday with my girlfriend. We went for the black hole cavern tour, it was a miserable day and we fancied learning about mining, but as the start of the summer was so slow because of the rain and we arrived at about three in the afternoon.

The place was completely deserted.

We read the sign which mentioned character actors and figured that there would be some actors as miners etc

There was one other family waiting with us for the black hole cavern tour and just as the tour was about to start the all disappeared. Leaving just myself and my girlfriend.

Then a goblin came.

Myself and my girlfriend were unprepared for this, I was in an embarrassingly bad mood after two days in a soggy tent full of midges and it was extremely awkward.

On reflection, I would like to apologize to the tour guide. He did as best a job as he could despite being faced with two soggy and surprised adults and I was quite angry after the tour had finished. But you have given me the gift of a great anecdote and it would've been so much fun if the circumstances had been different, in short we're coming back in better moods.

Much love