“When in Wales, eat Welsh rarebit at MG's”
Review of MG's - CLOSED

MG's
Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our 5 star food hygiene rated Cafe has been a part of the Aberystwyth cafe scene since 2004 when we operated from premises in Cambrian Place before moving to 26 Chalybeate St where we established a reputation for great coffee and excellent service. Expansion took us to our current location at 6 Chalybeate St in Dec 2012. The new premises has 60 covers and enables MG's to bring our excellent service, coffee and food to a wider customer base. MG's is a truly independent and local business with an ethos of buying fresh produce locally and providing a Welsh biased menu with delights such as Welsh Rarebit, Cawl and Glamorgan Sausages. We use meat from the famous and award winning Rob Rattray's butcher (next door) and are developing a reputation for our MG's Burger as well as Gails cheese and potato pie.. All our coffee is ethically sourced and we only use the very best Arabcia beans from Colombia.At the heart of MG's is a customer service ethos that always puts the customer at the heart of everything we do. Customer comments, good and bad are positively encouraged to ensure MG's is always at the leading edge of delivering great customer service.MG's has disabled toilet facilities as well as baby changing and high chairs available. DOG FRIENDLY
London, England, United Kingdom
“When in Wales, eat Welsh rarebit at MG's”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Thank you Guardian for directing us here via their review of the top 10 budget places to eat in Aberystywyth!

We had Welsh rarebit (under the thought that when in Wales...), chips, leek & potato soup, lemon meringue pie. Sensible portions, beautifully presented on wooden boards. Browned mustardy cheese paste on the rarebit, gorgeous chips, and the lemon meringue pie was astounding. I'm not a sweets person, but this was something special, still warm, with pieces of lemon in the curd to add texture, and fluffy light meringue. The only dish I did not enjoy was the leek & potato soup which could have used a little more something - it tasted primarily of potato puree.

Also, warm friendly service from two girls and (I assume) the owner -- nothing like the experience the last reviewer had.

Welcoming atmosphere, high ceiling and plants in the back, sofas, the kind of place you'd want to linger for a while. And appreciated the ethical and local sourcing. Our thanks and hope to return.

Visited September 2013

Cheshire
“Very Bad In Every Way”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

On arrival there was no greeting, so I did not know where to sit and nobody seemed interested. Most tables were covered with dirty plates that the waiters seemed happy to walk past. After viewing the menu, I assumed that I must have to pay at the till first, as still nobody had spoken to me. I ordered a minty lamb burger with chips. It took around around 35 mins to arrive and it was horrible! It was dry and hard, like chewing on a rubber brick. I suspect it was reheated in a deep fat fryer, worst burger ever. The waiters, all 16 year old scruffy lads, were clueless. Customers were coming in and trying to clean the tables themselves. Cringingly bad! I could not eat my food it was so bad and I left feeling robbed of my money and time. They don't deserve to be in business.

Samanchris, Owner at MG's, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Firstly let me apologise for the poor experience you had at MG's. I am guessing that is was Sunday the 22nd when we had some new members of staff and unfortunatley inadequate supervision of their performance. Our fault entirely, if you are passing please call in and let us refund you in full, this is not our usual service or quality of food and I can only hope that you do try us again.
London
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

You may almost just walk right past this place, but it's worth while stopping in. My husband and I went for lunch and while it doesn't look like much from the outside, when you go inside you will find a reasonably large and airy dining room out the back. I had the lamb burger which was lovely and juicy. I enjoyed the fact that it was a sensible size (as was the portion of chips) and that all your accoutrements came served separately so you can almost "build your own" to your personal taste. We found the staff very friendly and accommodating and the cost reasonable at £19.80 for the burger, a plough and platter, large glass of wine and a coffee. We would definitely go back if we were in Aberstwyth again.

Twickenham
“Good quality, hearty food”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had lunch here and I liked the look of the plough mans but wasn't keen on the pork pie. I was introduced to the chef and after a brief conversation she tweaked the dish making it perfect for me. Coffee was good too.

Warwick, United Kingdom
“A Great Place to Dine”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Called in during a day out in Aber'. Staff were very welcoming from the moment we walked in. Food was delicious. For example, I had a Welsh Lamb Burger with fries. This turned out to be one of the best I have ever had. A nice touch was a small bowl of mint sauce being included. A relaxed atmosphere was also very evident.

• Visited August 2013