“Melting”

MG's
Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our 5 star food hygiene rated Cafe has been a part of the Aberystwyth cafe scene since 2004 when we operated from premises in Cambrian Place before moving to 26 Chalybeate St where we established a reputation for great coffee and excellent service. Expansion took us to our current location at 6 Chalybeate St in Dec 2012. The new premises has 60 covers and enables MG's to bring our excellent service, coffee and food to a wider customer base. MG's is a truly independent and local business with an ethos of buying fresh produce locally and providing a Welsh biased menu with delights such as Welsh Rarebit, Cawl and Glamorgan Sausages. We use meat from the famous and award winning Rob Rattray's butcher (next door) and are developing a reputation for our MG's Burger as well as Gails cheese and potato pie.. All our coffee is ethically sourced and we only use the very best Arabcia beans from Colombia.At the heart of MG's is a customer service ethos that always puts the customer at the heart of everything we do. Customer comments, good and bad are positively encouraged to ensure MG's is always at the leading edge of delivering great customer service.MG's has disabled toilet facilities as well as baby changing and high chairs available. DOG FRIENDLY
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The biscuit thingy with the coffee was a nice touch, and I really appreciated the glass of water that I requested. I also appreciated the pleasant service, the cleanliness, and the fair price. But even with the two fans spinning; I still found the going tough in the main dining area in this heat. This was my second visit, which says a lot as I came back.

TIPS: (1) Water on the side is no problem, and (2) The staff are lovely.

ADVICE FOR MANAGEMENT: (1) Maybe it's time for some air conditioning or an extraction unit.

Samanchris, Owner at MG's, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Fair point on the conditions in the rear room. This is our first year in these new premises so we are adjusting to the seasonal conditions and are looking to install ceiling fans to provide a better environment particularly in the very hot weather. We have ordered a ceiling fan for the front room which will be installed this week and will be assessing the rear room soon to see what is needed there. One of the things we will be doing is opening the window on the atrium which should provide better air flow in the meantime. Again many thanks for your feedback which we always find invaluable.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Besides running a truly great restaurant, what I really appreciate about MG's is the effortlessly impressive customer care. I was so impressed with how willing they were to go off-menu and accommodate my request. The counter staff are superb - and no matter who's working, a friendly, efficient service is provided. It's so good in fact that I go there far more than my budget should really allow for!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

My favourite place to nibble in Aber. Great food and reasonably priced. Lovely staff and the love pooches too. HEAVEN!

1  Thank beetroot8
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The staff are friendly, helpful and polite, There is a wonderful selection of cakes and biscuits and a very good menu. The food is locally sourced wherever possible and the portions are plentiful. The seating is comfy and the atmosphere is relaxing. The coffee is by far the best in Aber, give the chains a miss if you are a tourist or student and discover better coffee on your door if your a local. You won't be disappointed it really is excellent. I have been there on many occasion, with friends, family and on my own. Its suitable for all occasions and is really child and baby friendly.

Samanchris, Owner at MG's, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Many thanks for your kind words and we hope to continue and get even better.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

You know what they say, "don't judge a book by its cover", well that's certainly true of MG's.
We'd passed its doors twice before going in, as ever, on the look out for that coffee shop or restaurant that looked 'just right'.
MG's definitely hides its light under a bushel. An unprepossessing facade doesn't make it stand out in the crowd but once you get through the door ... A light and airy cavern of delights awaits you. A comprehensive menu of light lunch dishes along with teas and coffees. The staff were very pleasant and helpful when needed (what's that cake) and service was unhurried without ever being slow. Lunch turned into and cake indulging in the moistest orange & poppy seed cake I've ever tasted.

Samanchris, Owner at MG's, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

What a great review, it is not always possible to get street presence for Independents and you have certainly brought out the need to get inside and be surprised. We hope you will be back soon, we aim to get better and better.