“Lovely food, service could be better”
Review of Baravin

Baravin
Ranked #11 of 154 Restaurants in Aberystwyth
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had a family lunch at Baravin. The food was really delicious, with high quality ingredients and well presented, and there were nice views and pleasant surroundings. I'd go again.

However, when we arrived to an almost empty room, with no reserved signs on the tables and no 'Please wait to be seated' sign, it was a bit confusing and off-putting to be waved away from some of the central tables and asked to sit elsewhere because they were expecting customers with reservations. Also, the service was a little slow.

The pizzas and bruschettas were delicious and it was a nice change to see (local) rabbit on the menu - that was very tasty too.

It's not especially child-friendly - not that children are made to feel unwelcome but the food is fairly 'grown-up' and my 3-year-old's juice came in a very heavy glass tumbler.

1  Thank rahvan

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Gosh, what a bitter disappointment this one turned out to be. Don't get me wrong, it was my fault as I had insisted and planned that we eat there. I just think that for this kind of money the pizza has to be a bit more than basic, the base needs to be properly cooked, the topping should resemble the menu, and a side salad or something would lift the whole package. Poor service, poor food, poor experience. We won't be repeating our patronage until others stop saying the same and start saying some good when we hear about the restaurant when out and about.

I must say that if Baravin is linked to the Harbourmaster; then how can they get it so right in one part of the County and so wrong in the other? I simply cannot believe that it is the same company

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Baravin is a recent addition to the Aber seafront, run by the team who own the Harbourmaster in Aberaeron. The menu is fairly short and simple - mainly pizzas, pastas, breads, and a couple of sharing platters. I went with a group for a pre-Christmas meal, and reviews around the table were mixed: bread was described as 'heavy' and a pasta main was 'a bit lemony'. A salmon main was good but marred by over-oily new potatoes. So there are a few details that need to be sorted out. However, the choice of pizzas is good and if you like the slightly unusual, very thin and crispy bases, they're very tasty. I had a topping of pulled pork, caramelised onions and Perl Wen cheese and it was delicious.

Desserts are decent - I can recommend the chocolate brownie with ice-cream, though a bit more sauce would've been nice. Good choices of both wine and beer.

The trouble is, given the fantastic location and image of the place, it feels like it should be just a bit better. Baravin needs a bit more of a unique selling point: it doesn't offer anything that you can't get elsewhere in town (I bet their antipasti come direct from UltraComida), and I couldn't help thinking of the 'two pizzas and a bottle of wine' deal on offer for £22 at the Pier Brasserie. It would probably be a nice place to sip chilled Sauvignon Blanc on a sunny summer's day, but given how few of those we get in Aber, they might need a few more strings to their bow.

Oh - and those chairs are nasty.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We booked a table to celebrate my birthday at Baravin as we wanted to support a Welsh business that is relatively new to Aberystwyth. We turned up promptly only to be told that they had us down for 30 mins later however they said it was no problem before walking us past all the best tables that had a view, which were nearly all empty and showing us to a small table in the corner next to a large party - not very cosy! When we asked to be moved to one of the empty tables the manager sent over the youngest member of staff to tell us that the tables were booked for the next 1 hour. Had we not booked?!!

The service was good thereafter and the food was as expected, in fairness I have been there before and the service has been ok, however on this occasion the best tables remained empty the whole time we were there and we were never apologised to or thanked for our custom. I was very disappointed and shan't be returning!

1  Thank maglona_12
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Been here three times now and it goes down hill everytime and will not be going back, the starters have the imagination of a ready steady cook feel and last night on dinnig had the lamb pizza which was just terrible and a little raw (the base not the meat) i eat at some very good places and wha makes them good is the consitency and by my evaluation this does not have any. Will not be back

1  Thank smilesalotManchester