“A great place for a relaxing break”

Gwesty'r Marine Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My parents always stay here when they come to visit me at University. And I recently stayed here with my mam. The hotel is great, and the staff are very friendly, but it is not without it's flaws.
For the price of the hotel, some of the things could have been in better condition, there was quite a bit of dust in our room, and the duvet cover on my bed was damaged, also, the wifi does not reach all of the bedrooms (unfortunately it did not work in our room).
However, if you have a room with a sea view, you have a stunning view, the hotel is very warm and comforting. And the food that they serve is top notch!

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 13, 2013

A brilliant value break in a well-run and pleasant hotel. The sea which hardly goes out is a stone's throw from the hotel so wonderful, relaxing views over Cardigan Bay. Good hearty breakfast and plenty of eating places nearby.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel is located on Marine Terrace, right on the sea front. The prices and the website speak of an upmarket establishment, with pretentions of being luxurious. With one letter missing from the name of the hotel on the front façade, one starts to wonder if one's been duped. On entering the room, charged at £125 per night, the suspicion is confirmed the first thing to notice is that it's really not a big room for triple occupancy. It was rather cosy for two. With single glazed old sash windows looking out to sea, cosy probably wouldn't be the right adjective with the wind blowing onshore. Someone had stuffed rolled up paper between the frames, a possible clue that the windows rattle in the wind?
A small flat screen tv was fixed on the wall - head banging a distinct possibility. In order to get enough facilities in the room to justify the high room rate, there was a hotch potch of unsightly electrical wiring and extension sockets used. If the electrics were even legal, they were certainly not aesthetically acceptable. No thought had gone into the design of the facilities within the room and this added to the feeling of disappointment. Perhaps the bathroom would be better...
Oh dear, oh dear. The bathroom may have recently been redone, but clearly not by professional tradesmen, who knew their craft. Shocking grouting, very amateur attempt at mastic joints, slap dash decorating. The shower enclosure had nowhere to rest soap or bottles. How would a elderly person manage? The bathroom door appeared to have a lock but it didn't work. Cleanliness then, surely they won't have slipped up there? First noticed dark hair on cistern and in shower. Then noticed something glistening on the floor in the corner by the shower cubicle. A small piece of broken glass. Took a cotton wool pad and wiped over one small section of the floor with it, going right up to the edges. It came away dark grey with dust and hairs. Not impressed.

The hotel boasts a basement spa but the Jacuzzi wasn't even working properly, which rather sums up the whole experience of staying there: Didn't deliver on the expectation.

On the positive side, the beds were comfortable, the linen was clean and fresh and the breakfast was fine, not amazing but satisfactory.
Would I stay there again? No, would try to find somewhere else with higher standards.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
3  Thank tiffingirl
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had the significant misfortune to stay at the Calf Suite in April 2013:
1. We had no sleep that evening due to the students who appear to let the majority of the accommodation, who held a party until 05:00 on 28 April, there was loud ‘music’, shouting, foul language, taxis arriving and departing sounding their horns. At 05:00 there was the sound of an impact against the Calf Suite, which transpired was a wine bottle that was thrown onto the roof and smashed to pieces.
2. The hot water was not working, although this was rectified at 21:00.
3. The wi-fi worked once for about twenty minutes only and then was not available.
4. The accommodation had not been cleaned property, the glasses and cutlery had to be cleaned by us before use, the kitchen unit handles were covered in a greasy film.
5. The Jacuzzi was dirty and empty when we arrived, although the students had filled the Jacuzzi with water and left the tap running causing water to cascade into the car park. There are significant legionella risks associated with leaving the Jacuzzi in this condition.
6. There was extensive litter on the ground, pizza boxes, empty alcohol bottles etc.
7. The refuse area was overflowing with rubbish and rats.

We suggested to the Hotel that the website is amended to read, don’t expect to get any sleep as our properties are occupied by students who engage in loud parties until dawn and have no respect for others or their property.

The hotel refunded 75% of the cost of our one night stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank EastCheshireReviewer
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed one night here as our son was starting Uni in the lovely Aberystwyth. The location is superb although we did not have a seaview which was a shame. I regretted booking though online agency as could have saved about £20 by booking direct! Think it was over priced, we paid £120 for a double room and dinner was a little pricey too. But then I suppose you pay for the location.

The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful, what you expect in Wales! The waitress in the restaurant was delightful, could not have been better. We arrived late after a long day and decided to eat in the hotel as we were exhausted. They were happy to fit us in at late notice. The dining room was nicely decorated and we could sit in a bay window looking out on the sea front which was lovely.

I enjoyed my Duck a l'Orange very much but think it might have been boil-in-the-bag. My husband did not enjoy his meal that much but then he is very fussy! We had so many vegetables of different kinds that we did not seem to make an impact! Decided against dessert as there wasn't much choice.

Liked our room, no issues at all. Attractively decorated, comfy bed and nice ensuite, All quite spacious.

Breakfast was great. Hot buffet and continental etc. Basically you could eat whatever you wanted and how ever much. My husband ate loads and I just had a light option. Unlimited tea and coffee served at table.

The highlight for me was the lovely man who served us. Clearly very experienced in the hospitality restaurant, we struck up a conversation about his career and background - from South America and an ex-acrobat! Very friendly and I enjoyed our conversation.

I would come here again but will try to find somewhere cheaper if I can and would prefer to eat somewhere in the town.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Had I read some of these reviews before booking I would not have booked this holiday complex.
It is listed as 4 star with cottages4you, but 2 star would have been generous.
On first appearance it looked ok, but on closer inspection and having spent 7 nights here I feel justified in my complaints.
There is no reception here and no booking-in procedure, the keys are left in the door and that's it, no welcome pack, no information nothing.........we eventually found an information folder on the bottom shelf, at the back of a sideboard completely by accident on the fourth day of our holiday! Which is also when we discovered the link to the hotel, any problems? Just call this number.....yeah fat chance.... I had no phone signal at the complex so couldn't phone anyone!!
The kitchen although adequately equipped was shabby and grubby, definitely seen better days, the cooker was filthy and I had to clean it before use, there was mold around the shower, which I also had to clean before use, also a mildew stain on the bed sheet, which I did manage to get exchanged purely by chance having spotted a solitary worker on the day of arrival.
There is no attention to detail here which is a shame as the complex could work a lot better with just a little more input..... comfortable, modern furniture, but not looked after... we had to tighten the bolts on the dinning table legs as the were very wobbly, the headboard on the double bed was so wayward and loose we had to stuff a pillow behind it to stop it from banging on the wall with the slightest of movement, the en-suite in the spare room was an absolute joke, anyone over ten stone would have problems sitting on the loo as the hand basin is almost on top of it.... very handy if you're small and have a dodgy tummy though, no need for a bowl!!
I have a little OCD so the pictures and mirrors really wound me up, nothing centralised.... the stair banister overshoots the actual stairs and sticks out by about a foot at the bottom and on the second flight it sticks out a couple of inches, which could be a danger to children running upstairs, I caught my shoulder a couple of times, so definitely a health and safety issue. The net curtains front and back were about a foot too long and hung on wires on the door surrounds, subsequently every time you open the doors you're standing on the nets which then get pulled tight on the wires which over time has exposed the wire causing damage to the nets at the top as well...the curtain rails don't end neatly where the doorways end, they carry on into nowhere, like over the worktops??? Elaborate wall light sconces in the lounge, with a tatty pendant light on the ceiling?? Light bulbs which protrude through the top of the lams in the bedrooms....the list is endless......
The so called shared laundry room was absolutely abysmal, disgusting, could not, would not use it.....
Very shabby..... definitely not 4 star accommodation!
Also advertised with pub nearby, within a mile, which is true but it is not a walkable mile, as the first .25 is along an unlit road with no pavement, risky in the dark!!
I could go on... albeit lots of little things, but it spoilt my stay..... we would definitely not stay here again, nor could we recommend it to anyone, apart from the solitary worker spotted on the first day we saw no-one connected to the cottages at all, very poor show!!

1  Thank Deborah W
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was attending a function being held at the hotel so booked a room thinking it would be a good idea. On booking in the receptionist wasn't very welcoming, no instructions given of how to get to room. Just asked me to complete registration form, took my payment and gave me my key. I asked how I get to my room, I was told to take the lift to the 1st floor. I managed to find my room...... if you can call it that it was as some would say - compact in other words very small and at a cost of £90 I wasn't too happy. The only plus was the function I was attending - the food was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends