“Lovely room shame about the noise”

Gwesty'r Marine Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
“Lovely room shame about the noise”
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel on the 26th and 27th April for our wedding anniversary. My husband was at the university a lot of years ago and wanted to go back to 'kick the bar' and visit some of his student haunts, most of which were still there. We stayed in room 111 which was lovely with a lovely bay window and view across the prom. The bonus was the window opened so we could sit in the warm listening to the sea. The bathroom was ok, lots of mirrors, smashing shower and a noisy spa bath if you wanted to use it. The hair dryer was a bit far away from the mirror, but any faults were minor niggles made up for by the very comfortable four poster bed, it was bliss. We missed breakfast on Saturday because we were so comfortable we slept through the 9.30 finish, a bit early for the weekend we thought. So far so good, and I would return, just making sure there wasn't a wedding party in the function room below. There was on the 27th and the bass was so loud the floor in our room was rocking, the bedside tables moved and there was no way we could get to sleep before it finally ended at 0015. Over an hour, I tried to ring reception 4 times but there was no reply. When we complained in the morning that we had not been told about the wedding and that the noise was unacceptable, the manager asked why we hadn't rung reception. When we told him we had on several occasions his response was that he had been there all the time and we should have rung the bar. He was fully aware that the disco had been very loud and that anyone in room 111 would have been disturbed, but that no one else had complained. At this point another guest just checking out said that he had been disturbed by the loud bass which had moved furniture in his room. We secured a small reduction in the price of our stay but this was done very begrudgingly. It's a shame the manager didn't seem very effective mumbling that he couldn't do anything else without speaking to his boss and made us feel that the whole thing was our fault.
As I say it was a shame, we'd enjoyed the comfort of our room ,the breakfast we had on Sunday was plentiful and tasty served in a lovely light ballroom with very attentive staff, the location on the front is second to none with plenty of free parking, just check about any functions that might affect your stay.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Greek first
bristol
Reviewed May 5, 2013

stayed at the"Marine"for a couple of nights-bit of a dinosaur,needs a refurb..had a room with bay window looking over the prom/sea so very pleasant outlook and room wasnt actually too bat atall..breakfast was actually pretty decent,waitress service from a very pretty Polish lady,so a bonus!..overall despite having definately seen better days not too bad.

Room Tip: take a sea-view with a bay window,seem to be the better rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Needs an overhaul. Room was large but very dated and the 'en-suite' was so narrow if you turned round there was a real danger of grazing your elbows as you spun round. The two bedside lamps had no plugs nearby so I had to borrow an extension lead from work to power them up. The kettle didn't work either and I had to 'borrow' one from the vacant but open room next door. And the walls must be made of rice paper - some miscreants stayed for a weekend and were so noisy and vile I would have gladly disemboweled them. The guests only kitchen area in the basement was a god idea if you're working late and want to cook your own food BUT it was hardly used as it was fairly disgusting - un-emptied rubbish bag, flying bugs and some rotting milk in the fridge which must have been left by plague victims. No, it just won't do.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Dinas Powys, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times and found it to be pretty outdated and poor value for money. The shower is a dribble and cold unless you get up at the crack of dawn and the WiFi is VERY patchy (I think it only works if you happen to have the room above reception). Last time I stayed there it was really cold so I went to ask for an extra blanket at reception. I was given a grubby duvet with no cover. The cleanliness is passable although you do find the odd random hair here and there. One thing to be aware of - this hotel has ALOT of functions. When I stayed there was a party going on until 3am. I had to get up for work at 7am and I was absolutely driven to distraction - when I got up to complain I found there was no-one overseeing the party and the lobby was full of drunken party-goers. NOT GOOD. Oh and make sure you take all your belongings with you when you leave because even if it is not of any value you can be assured that it won't be there later!

Room Tip: Don't leave anything lying around or you will lose it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Warwickshire
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Having read other reviews after booking I wondered what i let myself in for. I don't normally do reviews but feel I have to based on my recent experience to counteract some of the negativity. We went for two nights mid week out of season. When we arrived the member of staff on reception offered to set up a separate table in the bar for breakfast so we could have our dogs with us rather than leaving them in the room. The room we were shown to was twin rather than the requested double and when we asked for a change we were instantly given a much bigger room on the first floor overlooking the prom/sea which was perfect for us.
The staff we had contact with were unfailingly helpful and friendly (more than can be said for one of the guests). There was scaffolding up (and we had been warned before booking) but we had no noise from builders outside 'normal hours'. Didn't use the gym but why would you if you've got the beach and cliff walks. Would I go back - definitely because I really enjoyed the break. But probably not in the season or student term time and maybe not at a weekend, but that says more about what I think busy Aberystwyth would be like
than is any criticism of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Totally surreal hotel. The first night I was here, the hotel was full of very drunk 14 year olds at some kind of local wedding. The second night, it was impossible to get to the lifts or the reception area because there was some sort of Christian revivalist meeting going on, blocking all the entrances. It reminded me of the League of Gentleman, except a little more surreal.

The room itself was OK, the gym clearly hadn't been used for a century or two but I was impressed that the receptionist opened up the gym especially for me (the sauna was of course stone cold, but the jacuzzi worked) The WiFI, however, was distinctly flaky.

I might actually consider staying here again for pure c

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ChrisSouthville
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

SUMMARY:

OVERPRICED
POORLY TRAINED STAFF WHO GIVE CUSTOMERS DISCOUNTS AT RANDOM
FAULTY SPA FACILITY
BUILDING SITE
POOR FOOD

The marine hotel is situated on the sea front in Aberystwyth and sells itself as a premium hotel with spa, steam room, sea views etc. It has a premium price as well. Average hotel price in Aberystwyth is probably £50-70 per night. I paid £120 a night at the Marine, but thought this was worth it for the sea views and spa facilities for my wedding night.

I booked the marine hotel to stay on my wedding night on 30th April 2013. A large number of my guests also stayed. We all booked 6 months or so in advance. When I arrived, the front was covered in scaffolding and the spa was out of order! You can imagine my disappointing, especially considering thatI wanted a nice relaxing time on my wedding night. However, these things happen and hotels sometimes need to carry out maintenance, so I thought I would ask the staff for a discount because I had not been informed about the works.

The staff were not understanding at all and informed me that I could still see the sea through my window (although completely obscured my scaffolding a orange plastic sheeting - see attached picture!!) and that the spa would be fixed the next day (when I would be checking out!!). They had no interest in customer service and left me angry and frustrated. I would have been happy with some kind of admittance that the hotel was not as advertised and a small discount, or maybe a free bottle of wine. A minimal gesture for a happier customer, but the staff clearly have not idea how to conduct themselves.

They offered no apology or discount and were very rude and unaccommodating.

More frustratingly, the offered other guests (from my wedding party who told me later) a discount the day after I had complained. Obviously they received so many complaints they changed their approach to dealing with them. Clearly they had no plan for helping their paying customers.

This hotel is unprofessional and very poor quality and value. This hotel is only worth £60 per night (half the price I paid), but you will still have to deal with unhelpful and poorly trained staff if something is not to your liking.

Lastly, the food is terrible, but this is a minor point considering my experience. Choose one of the other wonderful hotels on the beautiful Aberystwyth sea front, or stay in the town for a much cheaper price. DO NOT STAY AT THE MARINE!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple