“super weekend stay”

Gwesty'r Marine Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed at the Marine hotel wife my wife and also took my mother & father stayed from Friday to Monday excellent stay could not fault the hotel on anything . Th bar meals where very god and value for money.
The rooms where very clean with evertything you need would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank stevenhardman
There are newer reviews for Gwesty'r Marine Hotel

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Hotel as usual was clean and tidy. Though I must admit I do have a few complaints. Firstly, the room I stayed in was no where near a double. Yes it contains a double bed, but its just been rammed in! Everything seemed to look untidy and cluttered, along with cables everywhere! The room did have a very faint smell of smoke, but was not a major concern. The hotel at the moment is undergoing some external work, just like stated on their website, views are not to be expected. What I was not expecting was to be woken up by loud work noises from 8am, and when I was to open my curtains, all I could see were builders in my window. Breakfast was beautiful, and in general the hotel was nice. At one point during the day, I did go back to my car. At which point I could see either a member of staff or staff from the linen company smoking very close to the what I could see to be the laundry room, and the linen closet. Including the all the new fresh clean linen. This does explain why the room smelt of the smoke!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank amilo08
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed for one night only visiting Uni.
Nice comfortable sea front hotel, large 2 room Family Suite, friendly staff, great breakfast, great location.
Didn't use dining room, ate in "the Scholar" around the back of the Hotel, more my style.
Undergoing off-season renovation, but only inconvenience was scaffolding outside window.
Windows are single-glazed sash windows which could be a problem in a howling westerly. Looking at the other seafront buildings the timber and sash window bit could be a planning thing. The single glazing isn't. Not a problem outside winter though.

Room Tip: Views of the Irish sea from the front. In winter the rear rooms may be warmer
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank extriathlete
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife, my dog and I stayed a night here last night and thouroughly enjoyed. The staff couldnt have been more helpfull and friendly. The room was clean tidy and well turned out. Its unfortunate that scaffolding was up outside but we were told prior to booking and it cant be helped it is out of season after all and maintenance needs to be done, it didnt detract fro the stay at all. The breakfast was excellent and the portions were great.

Recommended to anyone, we will certainly be going back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have just spent Christmas at this Hotel on my own with just my dog. I could not have stayed at a better place. Many of the other guests were on their own too and everyone was very friendly. The food was extremely good and there was so much of it. The hotel was very clean and management and staff went out of their way to please. My bedroom was on the third floor but there is a good lift and I had marvellous view of the sea. The entertainment was good. The bed room was a little dated but it had everything that I needed and I have stayed at many four and five star hotels over the years but this one beats the lot. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I hesitated before posting this review. I have to visit Aberystwyth on business and have had a series of disappointing experiences in old fashioned 'hotels' that don't seem to recognise the standards of today. A colleague had booked into the Marine Hotel on the sea front, so I booked in too. Winter weather with strong winds is not unexpected in Aber, so the front door refusing to close and the internal sliding door being broken is something which should not be tolerated. We noticed Reception staff ignore the broken front door while residents kept getting up and closing it. The foyer and lounge were very cold as a result - not the kind of space to linger in while we waited for our colleagues.
We were given rooms at the back, very small en-suite, and at least away from the noise of the wind and the sea. However, the tiny internal bathroom was afflicted by a very noisy extractor fan which started each time the light was on, and continued for some time afterwards. The shower head was covered in mould, and the knobs on the electric power shower broken; the power shower was incredibly noisy - uncomfortable being next to it.
My room opened onto the landing of an internal Fire Escape staircase, which was partly blocked with piled up furniture, a broken door, and bed parts, surely in breach of the regulations. I have a photograph.
This hotel takes in 'functions' and runs weddings and parties, and for our stay there was certainly one very noisy event. This proved most disruptive to my colleague on the first floor, though was still audible on the second. Fortunately it stopped by Midnight.
Coming down to breakfast I was assailed by strong chemical cleaning smells - perhaps the party the night before needed an aggressive clean up - but it did not provide a good atmosphere for breakfast. The buffet was modest - no sugar-free muesli, no natural yoghurt - and the cooked breakfast looked like it had been a long time on the hot-plate: the "plasticised fried egg" experience.
I wish I could say the staff made a difference, but all the ones we met appeared to be in 'heads down, just doing my job' mode. Overall this was a very poor experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank RogerTomlinson
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The room was very clean and the bed was comfy! the room and bathroom was a little small, but a great view of the sea front! The breakfast was very nice and fresh! staff were friendly and helpful, clean hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view window, open the window and listen to the waves!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family