“Quaint hotel but has seen better days”

Belle Vue Royal Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Milford Haven, Wales, United Kingdom
“Quaint hotel but has seen better days”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I was booked into this hotel by my employer for a course. After reading the reviews, I was slightly anxious about staying there. My room (no 36) had seen better days but it was warm, the bed was comfortable and the shower was excellent and, most importantly, it was clean. My colleague stayed in room no 16 which was more modern and had a sea view (as did mine). My television was not working so rang reception and a man who I thought was the maintenance man (but who turned out to be the owner) came and fixed it for me. An iron and ironing board was brought to my room as soon as I requested it. The breakfasts were cooked to order each morning and were very nice. Yes, the hotel is quite dated but I would stay there again and enjoyed my stay. Staff and owner very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view - rooms 15 and 16 are nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Leanne M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Let me start by saying it was “fresher week” in aber and I was lucky to find a hotel room considering all the parents were accompanying their children to aber uni – I was a walk in (no rez) and I got the only available room in the hotel. (I was on my way to snowden and I couldn’t drive any further so we stopped in Aber for the night). The front desk clerk and the wait staff were very nice and very helpful. The full breakfast was good. Dinner was subpar. The menu choices were very few. The hotel is VERY OLD and RUN DOWN. My biggest issue with the hotel room was that the bathroom had black MOLD. LOTS of black mold all over the bathroom ceiling. When I walked in the room the smell of mold was overwhelming. (not musty mildew, MOLD!) I am not sensitive to mold but this made it very difficult to breathe. I closed the bathroom door and it helped keep the smell out of the rest of the room. Upon check out I let the front desk know about the mold, and they really did not seem interested in what I was saying. I imagine it is a common complaint they have heard many times, so I doubt they were going to do anything about it. When I finally got to my destination; all the clothing in my suitcase stunk like mold. I had to go to a laundry and wash all of my clothing. It was that bad. I definitely do not recommend staying there. The view from my window was beautiful...but not worth having to deal with the horrible smell.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank 2ChildrenOfTheWorld

Travelers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I asked for a sea front room, given Room 34, great view, but after that--- all downhill. The room is small and exceptionally shabby, torn wallpaper on walls and ceiling, the carpet must have been there forever you definitely would NOT want to walk barefoot on it. The bathroom too was extremely shabby with mildew and filthy grouting around bath (a positive- the shower worked well and the water was hot).I had booked this accommodation well in advance, so to be given this terrible room and then made to pay £97 for the privilege of staying there for one night is an insult .I lived in Aberystwyth as a child and had always wanted to stay here, but what a terrible disappointment, my advice try somewhere else

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eryl B
Shoreham-by-Sea
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Arriving in Aberystwyth on my motorbike with no planned place to stay, I pulled out my iPhone and did a search for the hotels with secure parking. Belle Vue was in view and with one quick call, all booked in, although they were busy.

They have covered parking to the rear for about ten cars and spots for motorbikes so all was good there.

Booking in I was given a quick guided tour and shown to my room. My single room was very small but the sea view made up for it. The manager even said if I left my shoes outside the door then they would be cleaned and polished by the time I got up - and yes the offer extended to my big motorcycle boots.

The room, the food, the atmosphere was all good.

I was met the following morning by a couple of very chatty waitresses who took my breakfast order. All quickly served meant I could be back on my bike by nine am to head back home to Sussex.

Although I was on my own I didn't feel lonely as the staff made me feel very welcome.

If in the area again then I wouldn't hesitate to stop there again.

Room Tip: Give the hotel a call direct. Helpful staff.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Chester, England
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed one night on a short tour of North and Mid Wales.

I went to University in Aber and have a soft spot for both the town and this hotel. We arrived on spec without booking a room and got a good rate on a big, ground floor room. The room was well equipped, had a comfortable bed and a big bathroom. The decor and the fixtures were old fashioned but in good repair and despite being on the ground floor we had a good night, sleeping well.

The staff were friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was in our rate and turned out to be very good. Lots of choice, cooked to order and really well done.

The hotel is in a good position on the seafront but the town is so small, even now, that it doesn't matter that much where you stay in location terms. We had free parking at the hotel and that was a plus.

Overall, a bit of a 1980s experience in some ways but it was good value for money and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We had a sea front room which had a great view, and the new double glazing certainly helped to cut out the sound of late night revellers when we wanted to get to sleep. There was a wedding in the hotel and as such it was busy but we booked in advance and ended up with a far worse room than any of our friends who booked only a few days before arrival.
The room was tiny (room 34), right next to the stairwell and the squeaky door to the hallway, and appears not to have been redecorated for a considerable number of years. The wallpaper (which was on all walls and the ceiling!) was badly hung and loose in places, the paintwork was chipped and dated, and the furniture had chunks out of it. The bed was relatively comfortable but the overall appearance of the room was shabby. We had paid full price of £97 (again, more than others who booked later), and were very disappointed in the quality of room for the money. Although it was high season I would expect far more for my money and would not choose the Belle Vue again unless the price was far lower.
Breakfast in the morning was quick and plentiful but swimming in grease and seemed to be the cheapest possible ingredients. Parts were undercooked and had to be sent back, and hash browns were either missing or went missing when the dish was sent back.

Room Tip: Ask for a seafront room but check the size first - room 34 is tiny
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ljd706
Holyhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I have stayed at the Belle Vue on many occasions over the past 3yrs as my son was studying at the Uni there have always found it clean and comfortable staff go out of there way to help and nothing is to much trouble the food and the service is brilliant and i am booked in there again next week.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family