“You must try this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ultracomida

Ultracomida
Ranked #6 of 147 Restaurants in Aberystwyth
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: SY23 2LN
Aberystwyth, Wales
“You must try this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Lovely food, atmosphere and staff. Big portions of imaginative, different and great tasting food.
Friendly and helpful staff. Attached to a great deli. Come and see for yourself, you'll go back time and again.

• Visited May 2013

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not Impresed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I come to this restaurant quite often at dinner time and only a couple of times for lunch, it is usually excellent and me and my partner love it, however on this occasion it was a lunch time and they were quite busy, we got seated and then I think they forgot about us as people who were coming in after us were getting served before us, it took about 40 mins to get a drink, luckily we wasn't in any rush to go anywhere else, when the food arrived we were starving so thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank TidesOut
State College, PA
“Authentic tapas with a local twist”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have traveled to Spain many times, and love the whole idea of a tapas meal. It's particularly fun to see local twists on traditional favorites. That was definitely the case at Ultracomida in Aberystwyth. The traditional tapas were solid, but not outstanding -- the tortilla espanola in particular had boiled, not fried potatoes and no carmelized onions, which made it really bland. But the local twists were excellent, and really got to the heart of what tapas are all about. I will probably dream about the Glamorgan sausage tapas for some time -- they were a completely yummy surprise. Go and enjoy, but don't get bogged down in authenticity -- have fun with the local items.

• Visited June 2013
Llandysul, United Kingdom
“Authentic and interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

My daughter took me to this lunch time hot spot. I was amazed to experience such authentic Spanish meal in Aberystwyth.
Customers walk thru the deli to sit around large wooden tables together in the restaurant at the back; the menus offer a good choice of hot and cold food; good tea and very good coffee are available together with a range of alcoholic drinks.
We arrived at 1.30 pm on a Tuesday, and sat with a young family (on holiday from Manchester) who savoured a fabulous spread of tapas (it was great to see young children relishing olives and really good cheeses) and two smiling senior citizens, who had paella and soup.
Our waitress told us what had already sold out ... It was not problem as a wide choice still remained. The food came reasonable quickly and was DELICIOUS.
I had a lovely crispy banquette (with olive oil, not butter) stuffed full of smoked ham, brie and semi-dried tomatoes ... with a side salad - GREAT value at £5.65. We also had bowls of delicious olives and pickles on the side.
Others in my party tried the tapas: a platter of Spanish meats, hummus, more pickles.
The table was heavy with condiments, olive oil and balsamic syrups.
Everyone in the restaurant was very jolly.
We left some time later ... very satisfied.
There are meals later in the day ... But not EVERY day. I would love to go for an evening tapas and will return soon. The restaurant closes at 9pm ... So go early! Take your own crowd and have a party!
The toilet facilities are generously proportioned, and clean. Baby changing facilities are available.
Clearly this is a family orientated restaurant with flavour and good nutrition as its objective.
No, it is not "fast food" and in fact is as far away from that kind of plastic experience as you can get. TYG for that.
Roadside parking is free around the corner, on the sea-front.
After our meal we shopped in the deli: a great array of (very well kept) cheese and meats; bread and jars of tempting delights, with olive oils, canned tuna, salt, honey saffron and huge bowls of olives and pickles to buy as much as YOU want if the large jars (which were great value for money) are too much.
I bought some brie and stilton (all eaten now) and was very pleased to be offered a sample before purchase; they also allowed me to buy some of the baguettes (part baked) which are now in my freezer for my family to relish at my convenience. I could not resist the jars of pickles (including garlic), saffron and tuna.
After our visit we asked along the promenade in the sunshine; simple pleasures are the best.
In my view Ultracomida offer all that is best about Spanish food, and I hope they remain as committed to authenticity in the future.

• Visited June 2013
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
“First time - not be our last”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We've done the morning coffee/cake at Ultracomida before. This was first time for an 'evening'. Took friends and enjoyed a thoroughly pleasant time. Staff attentive and helpful and food well presented. Wasn't sure how we would cope at table for 8 (we being party of 4). The other table guests (2 young couples)were delightful and we chatted amicably at odd moments - created a nice atmosphere. Have to say their wines were excellent quality and not over-priced. We will be back!

Visited June 2013