“Authentic and interesting”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Sy23 2ln
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My daughter took me to this lunch time hot spot. I was amazed to experience such authentic Spanish meal in Aberystwyth.
Customers walk thru the deli to sit around large wooden tables together in the restaurant at the back; the menus offer a good choice of hot and cold food; good tea and very good coffee are available together with a range of alcoholic drinks.
We arrived at 1.30 pm on a Tuesday, and sat with a young family (on holiday from Manchester) who savoured a fabulous spread of tapas (it was great to see young children relishing olives and really good cheeses) and two smiling senior citizens, who had paella and soup.
Our waitress told us what had already sold out ... It was not problem as a wide choice still remained. The food came reasonable quickly and was DELICIOUS.
I had a lovely crispy banquette (with olive oil, not butter) stuffed full of smoked ham, brie and semi-dried tomatoes ... with a side salad - GREAT value at £5.65. We also had bowls of delicious olives and pickles on the side.
Others in my party tried the tapas: a platter of Spanish meats, hummus, more pickles.
The table was heavy with condiments, olive oil and balsamic syrups.
Everyone in the restaurant was very jolly.
We left some time later ... very satisfied.
There are meals later in the day ... But not EVERY day. I would love to go for an evening tapas and will return soon. The restaurant closes at 9pm ... So go early! Take your own crowd and have a party!
The toilet facilities are generously proportioned, and clean. Baby changing facilities are available.
Clearly this is a family orientated restaurant with flavour and good nutrition as its objective.
No, it is not "fast food" and in fact is as far away from that kind of plastic experience as you can get. TYG for that.
Roadside parking is free around the corner, on the sea-front.
After our meal we shopped in the deli: a great array of (very well kept) cheese and meats; bread and jars of tempting delights, with olive oils, canned tuna, salt, honey saffron and huge bowls of olives and pickles to buy as much as YOU want if the large jars (which were great value for money) are too much.
I bought some brie and stilton (all eaten now) and was very pleased to be offered a sample before purchase; they also allowed me to buy some of the baguettes (part baked) which are now in my freezer for my family to relish at my convenience. I could not resist the jars of pickles (including garlic), saffron and tuna.
After our visit we asked along the promenade in the sunshine; simple pleasures are the best.
In my view Ultracomida offer all that is best about Spanish food, and I hope they remain as committed to authenticity in the future.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We've done the morning coffee/cake at Ultracomida before. This was first time for an 'evening'. Took friends and enjoyed a thoroughly pleasant time. Staff attentive and helpful and food well presented. Wasn't sure how we would cope at table for 8 (we being party of 4). The other table guests (2 young couples)were delightful and we chatted amicably at odd moments - created a nice atmosphere. Have to say their wines were excellent quality and not over-priced. We will be back!

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

My previous review ended 'My favourite Spanish Deli/canteen in Wales by some margin. I will definitely return.'. So I did. On June 12th. And so glad I did. Tapas were to the usual high standards and quantity. It still sends me on dreams back to Seville and Malaga. It would be helpful, as I asked the staff, that I could put my deli bill onto my table bill. That would make a 5/5 for me. I have seen recent reviews. It might have been a bad day. I came to Aber this time to ride the Vale of Rheidol steam railway and eat at Ultracomida. Both were outstanding again.

1  Thank Darron1970
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is a very small restaurant at the back of the deli. I must have picked them on a bad day. They did say that they were understaffed, despite this the service was quite good and the staff seemed friendly. There is a limited choice on the tapas menu which came on a very grubby piece of paper. The food was luke warm when it arrived and the portions were very small, even for tapas. I did not think it was very good value for money, particularly the meatballs, £5 for 5 meatballs that were about the size of a 10p!!! In the end we order extra bread to try and fill us up without being too expensive. My husband was told they did not have any sell bitter despite us seeing it on a neighbouring table and it being sold in the shop. Wouldn't go again.

1  Thank Heather C
Reviewed May 29, 2013

It was a busy day as it always is at this, what is normally, charming lunch spot.

The family all enjoy the tapas and we go to Aberystwyth especially for this restaurant treat.

Once a table became available we sat down, to be told that perhaps the 4 main tapas items were already sold out - when they have 3 hours still on the lunch opening hours this is not good.

We pick our selections from what is left...however another dish had also sold out but we had not been informed. 10 minutes after ordering they come back to tell us another one of our choices had sold out!! It is fair to say it was a huge disappointment and soured our day.

One of the staff was plain rude and basically ignored us, then when they had run out of more of the items we ordered they sent someone else over to break the news as they were obviously too ashamed to do it themselves.

Warning:
If you don't arrive by noon then don't expect to have the full compliment of items available on the menu! This must happen every weekend so maybe a thought would be to get more supplies in so you don't disappoint!

1  Thank lovetotravel165