“Beware - you too may be given a terrible room”
Review of Conrah Hotel

Conrah Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Dorset, UK
“Beware - you too may be given a terrible room”
Reviewed August 28, 2007

This hotel boasts of a great country house hotel experience. This was not our experience - only the breakfast came close to expectations.

While a nicely modernised room features in the promotional material, we were given a very musty, unpleasant smelling room in a separate block that appears to have been part of a former motel on the site. The decor appeared to hail from the 70's - the shower over the bath had no curtain - and the room rate was £120.

On complaining, we were offered another room in the same block with similar smells - and the room rate was reduced by a mere £30.

If you must stay here, check the room that you will be getting - I don't know how many decent rooms they have and therefore what the odds are in the lottery for a decent room. If you are unlucky, as we were, you will feel badly cheated - and move on after only one night, thus spoiling a planned trip.

Note also the website we booked through showed the hotel as 4*; they are actually 3*, now corrected after I pointed it out to the manager - a generous rating for the room we were given.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The bedroom quality
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ThePsychololgist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
london
Reviewed August 17, 2007

I lived in aber for 3 years and have stayed on 3 previous occasions when this was a family owned establishment. We went back as a annivesary treat and were hugely dissapointed. It appears as though the hotel has had no money spent on it since the takeover in July '06. Let me give you a few examples browse through the magazines in the reading room, ten or so and you will only discover 1 with 2007 on it. The Patio funriture is now white plastic, the lovely indoor swimming pool closed. Our supposedly superior room was small and overlooking the carpark, and the paint was peeling in the bathroom. The waiting staff appeared to be eastern europen and struggled with english at times. The restaruant which we loved on previous stays has also gone down hill. My wife had to ask for extra vegtables - I say extra but she didn't actually have any in the first place!. The breakfasts were very small and we overheard one guest being told he could not have porridge beacuse it wasn't on the menu and the chef didn't have it. This is porridge the new super food! the man bypassed the waitress who wasn't communicating it very well and compained to reception same response. I think he was dumbfounded and rightly so. The new owners have huge expansion plans even including a helicopter pad! but to my mind you build on top of quality not mediocrity. The expansion will also mean there are no grounds to walk in at all so far as i can see. I am so sad to write this review as I loved the old Conrah but it is sadly lost forever. It is not worth anywhere near the £130 per night I paid. I have no axe to grind and I will not recommend any other hotels but if you would like further details on my opinions please feel free to e-mail me metarzanusport@googlemail.com

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank d0ubtf1re
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Found this at a great rate through Booking.com. An excellent hotel close to Aberystwyth in beautiful countryside a couple of miles south of the town.

Lovely views from the room (see picture). A really comfortable bed and a very welcoming atmosphere.

The room had a nice bathroom with bath and shower and good quality toiletries. Our room was also very quiet and at the top of the hotel facing east over the large garden / field in front of the hotel.

Breakfast the next morning was good (shame no porridge so it failed that test), but the toast was wonderfully well done. My wife enjoyed the black pudding, bacon and sausages.

The hotel has a bar, a restaurant which we did not get a chance to try and comfortable seating areas in rooms on the ground floor. A great location to explore this part of the central Welsh coast.

One bad point - children are not allowed! I only saw this when we received the email confirmation of our booking. Whilst I personally boycott establishments that are anti-child, parents should be aware this appears to be a "kid unfriendly" hotel. I recognise of course that such poicies may be appealing to others.

• Liked — Location, quieteness, comfort
  • Disliked — Children not welcome
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Kilbarchan, Scotland
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Couldn't see any nice hotels after a quick drive round Aberystwyth so found this place on the internet - same price at the holiday inn express we stayed at the night before. Lovely big room but initially put off by chintzy/flowery bedspreads and wallpaper and 60's/70's furniture however, the room was lovely and big, with 2 big windows with wonderful views, spotless, comfortable bed, nice toiletries, good bathroom. Was completely won over by the peace and comfort of the place, the friendly staff, the lovely location and the good bar food. Handy enough for going to Aberystwyth. Very nice breakfast - would not think twice about staying here again and would give the Holiday inn express/ chains a miss as this hotel is excellent value for money compared to them. Space, peace, good food, good staff, comfortable room - loved it.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — chintzy decor but room so comfortable this is hardly worth mentioning
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2007

We were lucky to get a last minute deal for New Years Eve and New Years Day night and I mean lucky. We had a marvellous time, although the restaurant was fully booked for NYE. Never mind, the staff and fellow guests made for the most relaxing and friendly atmosphere you could hope for. The staff need a second mention as they were faultless, breakfast is spot on and we did sample the excellent restaurant on NYDN, complete with very reasonably priced wine list. We could even forgive our constantly banging sash window..... well it was a very strong westerly gale blowing. Needless to say we've booked a return stay.

• Liked — relaxing atmosphere and staff
  • Disliked — banging sash window in room 7
  • Tips/Secrets — stay in room 7 on a still night
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham G
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2006

After reading some of the reviews on here, I was a bit hesitant at booking this hotel, but a friend of mine had informed me that there were new owners there, (who I know found out, own and run Harry's in the town). I have stayed there previously and was more than happy to book the Conrah. Beautiful house, the gardens and landscape that surround it are wonderful. The views from the dining room made breakfast and dinner a delightful experience. The interior is befitting a Country House, especially the relaxing reading rooms. I booked a double room with breakfast and dinner for my fiance and I to relax and unwind for the weekend. When we arrived we were immediately made to feel so welcome and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We had a room decorated in warm red undertones, new bathroom spotless, very clean and tastefully done. We also had a view of the gardens and hills beyond. The food I have to say was one of best I have had in a Hotel, always being reluctant to eat in-house, I can only say you will not be disappointed. And breakfast......well what can i say. Just how breakfast should be served, quality, hot and good timing. To start, I had yoghurt with home-grown raspberry compote, which Li (the fab and charasmatic owner) informed me had picked from their garden that morning....yes i agree raspberries in November, but she suggested I visit the garden to see for myself. And so i did. she was right! We also had dinner which was a real treat, the food was mouth watering and well presented and HOT, and left us feeling very satisified. We slept so well that we almost missed breakfast! Couldn't do that!

I have to say it is an effort to write a review, but after my stay and the effort put in by the owner and her staff it's the least i could do.
I will most definitely be going back sometime next year and would whole heartedly recommend the Conrah!
Enjoy.

Ceri Frazier
Hereford

Stayed November 2006
3 Thank 1stBaygirl
Atlanta
Reviewed September 27, 2006

I stayed at the Conrah on two occasions, and am happy to say that my experience was great. The staff are friendly and courteous, they all know your name.

On my first stay, I had an upper room that was quaint but the mattress not as comfortable as my own, but on the second visit I had a much nicer room.

The breakfast was WONDERFUL!! A true country breakfast, served up quickly and very well done.

If you are planning a visit to Aberystwyth and you have transportation, this is a great place to stay. Although, f you don't have a car, the Conrah will gladly ring a taxi for you. I let them know the night before what time I would need a taxi the next morning, and it was there.

Lovely.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business