“Hit the spot”

and 1 more site!
Conrah Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We spent just one night at the Conrah.......not long enough. A lovely hotel just south of Aberystwyth in beautiful grounds and views north to Cader Idris in the distance. The room (No 1) was excellent with a nice bathroom and a very comfortable bed. Decorations were classy country house. The evening meal was very good, chosen from an interesting menu. Breakfast could not be faulted. Will stay there again. Top marks

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NeilandMargaret

Reviewed June 23, 2014

The hotel is set in its own grounds with lovely views. We stayed for two nights in Room 17 (a large garden room) which was tastefully decorated with king-size bed, settee and an easy chair. It also had a large bathroom equipped with robes and towelling slippers. Although we both prefer a firm mattress, the one in Room 17 was very firm. Dinner on Saturday night was excellent but the portions were extremely large. Breakfasts were excellent but dinner on Sunday evening was disappointing. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We would certainly recommend the hotel and will consider visiting again.

Room Tip: Garden Room number 17 is a two-minute walk from the main entrance of the hotel. Fortunately, the we...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joanna T
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Stayed overnight on trip to pick up my granddaughter from Aberystwyth University. Had stayed the previous November for 2 nights with my wife & dog. The setting is really beautiful and it was nice to walk the dog out of the back of the hotel and through a small wood onto a public footpath.
Rooms are spacious with good views. I arrived late (10pm) after travelling from Leeds but still received a cheery welcome and was still able to get a nice pint of real ale. Breakfast was excellent and the staff so friendly. I/We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Ian G
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Stayed a Sunday night, rooms were very nice, we had a lovely large room with a large double bed, my daughters had a airy twin room with a view over the fields at the front. Yes, it's an old house that probably needs a bit of money spent on it but it has character & charm & I cannot fault the staff or the cleanliness of the rooms. We ate in on Sunday evening because we were too tired to go into town, the food was very nice, and the breakfast in the morning was extremely good. Our eldest daughter goes to Uni in Aber, so we will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Conrah Hotel is set in beautiful countryside and is a lovely building, with all the attendant pleasures and disappointments. For starters, there's lots of country but nowhere you could really go for a walk, unless you were willing to dice with death by walking along the road. Not the hotel's fault of course but rather dull for a business traveller wanting an evening stroll. The staff are friendly, and the room clean, though shabby chic. However, my enjoyment of my room was spoilt by the fact it was above the kitchen, next to the kitchen extraction unit, and received all the odours you associate with a kitchen (which was not pleasant). It was far too noisy and even at night when the extraction unit was turned off, there was a vibration which prevented me from sleeping, together with the lack of any fan or air conditioning. Also, why do hotels think we want to sleep under a thick duvet in the summer? There was no option of just a sheet. I passed out the second night, despite the use of the kitchen bins handily located under my windows (which when I asked if they were used in the evening was told they were not - unfortunately not true). I slept in Room 6 which I suspect was a deluxe room but sadly the location made it below standard. The wi-fi was a mercy so I could work while listening to the noises. I suspect though to be fair in the winter this room would be fine.
It's a shame as I really wanted to like this hotel as it's individual but for my next visit to the area, I will try the competition.

Room Tip: I certainly wouldn't pay extra for room 6
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed 4 nights at the Conrah hotel, it was a lovely old-fashioned hotel, very comfortable, lovely airy public rooms and the bedrooms a good size. We were on the top floor and the room no 9 looked out over the countryside, beautiful views. The service by the staff was excellent. We eat in once in the evening and the food was good, breakfasts were also good, served by very helpful staff. We would definitely stay there again should we visit Aberystwyth..

Room Tip: The owners have only been there a couple of years and are gradually decorating and refurnishing the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I booked this Hotel as a surprise for my son and daughter in laws anniversary.
My parents live nearby so over the years I have always thought this hotel would be a lovely place to stay.
How wrong I was.
I had a text from my son saying the room was horrid and dirty. They requested to move rooms but told me the 2nd room was indeed better but in no way clean. Hairs everywhere, dirty floor in bathroom. A young lad was set to the room to clean it. The carpets in the hotel are threadbare, the whole place is extremely tired and needs money spent on it. Certainly not worth the price we paid. My son has photos on his phone and as soon as I work out how to upload them I will do so.
Naturally we all found this upsetting especially as it was a special occasion for them.
The staff were very apologetic, the breakfast was good and the gardens were nice.
I have contacted the Conrah and told them I would be writing a negative review, they are looking into the matter. I feel that the hotel should not put guests into rooms that are in such bad condition, they must know what they are like.
Very disappointing, I now wish I had booked the Harbourmaster in Aberaeron.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple