“WEDDING LUNCH”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“WEDDING LUNCH”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

April 12th . My Daughter got married in Aberystwyth and came here for her reception,It was an excellent choice. The Building is set back off the road and has lovely views over hills. The staff were most helpful. We called in for coffee before the wedding and the manager allowed us to use a super room to change in. We were made to feel very relaxed and at home, we were not ushered out afterwards. We will certainly be calling by again for coffee and hopefully to stay over. Thank you all.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
anglesey
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Recently stayed at the Conrah Hotel again, lovely comfortable and clean room, super view over the valley, fab dinner and a good welsh breakfast. Staff very helpful, will stay again when working in Aber

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank janine2
Letterston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband, myself and our new puppy recently stayed at the Conrah for one overnight stay. The room we had was more spacious and comfortable than we had expected. We had our dinner that evening (from the restaurant menu) in the bar so we could have our puppy with us, which was lovely. However, we could only have the main, which in the end was fine. For breakfast we joined the other diners in the restaurant (and left our well behaved puppy in our room)and that was lovely too. The Conrah really do have lovely staff and the owner (lady) was very hospitable too. Thank you for a memorable stay.
Downside - We didnt expect to pay extra for our puppy - we weren't aware until we paid the bill at the end of the stay. Additionally, surely the full restaurant menu could become available for those in the bar. Apart from those recommendations - I would go back anyway. ;-)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judith W
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Recently spent two nights here on a 'living social' deal. We were warmly welcomed by the owner and shown to a delightful deluxe room in the courtyard. The room was large, tastefully furnished, and had lovely views over the grounds. It exceeded our expectations for a 'deal' and made for a very comfortable and relaxing stay. We dined in the restaurant on our first night and enjoyed the meal very much. The second evening we had a bar snack which was excellent and very good value. Breakfast was also very good. The staff were most helpful and cheerful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this traditional hotel and would recommend it to anyone who, like us, is looking for a relaxing stay in a quiet hotel with plenty of old fashioned charm.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anne H
Llandysul, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We arrived late but we soon catered for with especially made sandwiches and chips in the bar washed down with a glass of wine!

The room was very quiet and tastefully decorated

We left in the morning after a superb and hearty Welsh breakfast.

Room Tip: ask for one of the rooms in the annex eg 15
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CJSWhitstable
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We visited the Conrah 28/3 for the weekend. From the moment we walked through the door we felt welcome by all of the team, room was large with a sofa, 2 TVs, lovely hot shower and good selection of tea/coffee/hot chocolate. Breakfasts were lovely but the evening meals were superb! 3 courses for £21.99, menu small but really nice selection. We had braised beef, steak and loin of pork. All were lovely, beautifully presented and tasted gorgeous. Vegetable selection was plenty and fresh with the puddings being really nice. We had cheese board, ice cream and creme bulee...all were fab! If I was lucky enough to live locally I would be there every week. Well done to the owners and the team! See you again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Gaynor R
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My sister and I booked a weekend for our 77 year old parents in December for a christmas present to be taken in March.
They arrived Friday 28th and received a warm welcome and ate in the dining area that evening and received breakfast the following morning.
They were asked to arrive no later than 10.00am for breakfast the following morning which they did and were refused breakfast as they were preparing for lunches for Mothering Sunday. I am absolutely disgusted with the treatment they received and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
Whilst checking out my father went to settle the bill for a few extras they received during their stay and asked how much would breakfast would normally cost and was told £5.00 so my father asked for the cost of two breakfasts to come off the balance he owes as they were refused breakfast, reluctantly the gentleman took this amount off and practically threw the change at my dad. (friendliness disappeared ) wrong attitude for a hotel.
If people want to be treated respectfully and professionally, go and stay in another hotel, there are plenty in Aberystwyth.

Room Tip: don't bother
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christine w
NathanBiggs, Manager at Conrah Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Christinew,

Many thanks for your recent review, I felt it only fair to respond as I am the gentleman that checked your father out in the morning. I Have to say I find it incredulous that you can be so disgusted having actually not been there to witness the "treatment" our guests received. On Saturday night we had a sign to remind everyone to turn their clock forward and that final orders for breakfast were at 10am (normally we are fairly relaxed on timings, however with 100+ lunches coming in we had to be a little more stringent.) I am not sure what exactly happened but your parents did not come down to breakfast until 10.25am, with the kitchen having cleaned down and busy preparing for the upcoming lunches. Having spoken to your father and offering a selection of juices, pastries, tea & coffee and all manner of continental items I had a brief chat with them and went about my work.

Upon checkout, as a gesture of goodwill a reduction in price was OFFERED on my part of a reduction in price. The bill came to £19.95 and I was happy to take the £9.95 off the bill and so the ammended bill was exactly £10, at which point your father handed me a £10 note..... This is where I am struggling to come to terms with the very suggestion I "practically threw the change", firstly in almost 20 years of hotel work I have never been accused of being unprofessional and unfriendly. Second and more importantly, There was no change to give so quite how I threw it is beyond me??????

In this instance I feel your "review" and comments regarding the hotel to be very misleading and unfair. Timings are put in place for a reason and in this case every avenue was offered in regards to compensating for a mistake not of our doing.