“Fantastic Break”

and 1 more site!
Conrah Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We both had a wonderful 2 night break warm clean friendly hotel.
Room 16 is a delight plenty of hot water and stunning views would recommend the delux rooms.
Food and service was very good.
Now we will have to spend more money as we have fallen in love with the prints that hang on the wall in the lounge.
All in all a lovely experience will come again
Ian/Elaine-

Room Tip: Delux rooms are Quiet with stunning views
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed here on Thursday, 12 September 2013. When I booked the room 3 days earlier, I had alerted the hotel I was a single female on business. But when I arrived at 5:00 pm on the 12th, I was given a room in some sort of outbuilding (room 15). It was large, but on the ground floor. I was told there was no other room available. I had to spend the night with curtains shut tight and slightly on edge because I was in the middle of nowhere. I'm very well travelled. I spend 2-3 nights a week in hotels. But staying here made me nervous. The doors are very noisy and cause a lot of noise when shut. My neighbors were constantly in and out of their room and toilet constantly - extremely disruptive. Breakfast was awful and slow. There were very few people there, I had to constantly get up and look for a server and the whole experience took 45 minutes. I had to send back the scrambled eggs - they were half raw. So I ordered the porridge - it was watery and tasted like wallpaper paste. When I complained about the room designation upon checkout, the gentleman said they had been fully booked and there was no choice. But when I made the booking 3 days earlier, the hotel's internet site showed at least 8 rooms were available. This hotel may be great for weddings or weekend retreats, but it is not good for business people who only want to sleep restfully and have breakfast in less than 45 minutes on a work day. I won't be staying here again. Oh yes - no wifi or internet service. I was out of touch with my family the entire time.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the outbuildings. They are damp and noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Jonsey52
NathanBiggs, Manager at Conrah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Jonesy52,

I have never before felt a review to be so unfair as to warrant a response. I sincerely apologise that you did not like your room but I have checked on the system and you were indeed the last to book and as such this room happened to be the only one free. As you can see from previous reviews our external rooms are all newly renovated and are of the highest order. Obviously if nerves are an issue then I could not have know this, though I would have thought with at least another 2 rooms near you this would have eased them slightly, especially as you are so well travelled. Unfortunately I am at a loss as to what to say about neighbouring rooms being slightly noisy, had you let us know at the time I may have been able to chat to them. I am also slightly puzzled that if you felt the room was damp (quite a serious problem) the only small mention you make is in the room tip section, not within the review and certainly not mentioned during your stay.

At breakfast time I was the gentleman on reception and the reason it was quiet was most business people had already left before 8am. My young waitress served you and does not start shift until 8am and I have checked the records and you checked out and left at 8:37am so in this time you came down for breakfast, ate and checked out in little more than 30 minutes so am a little perplexed as to the 45minutes?!?! I do however apologise the breakfast was not to your liking, our scrambled eggs are very popular as they are fluffy and not overcooked and you specifically asked for porridge with water and not the usual milk that we provide. Again I have checked the third party websites on the day of your booking and fail to see why they would advertise 8 rooms as they are directly linked to our reservation management system????

As advertised wi fi is readily available and free in all public areas and we are currently negotiating a contract to extend this to every room. We pride ourselves on being a hotel that is perfect for wedding, leisure and business customers alike. We heavily rely on business customers in the winter months and receive a high occupancy due to the fact that business customers select to come to us from their companies.

It is with great pain that I feel necessary to write this response, I hope you can guage through other reviews that any genuine criticism I take on board and proactively try to ammend these problems. However, this review is grossly unfair and has put a blot on our trip advisor that needed to be responded to. I genuinely am sorry that you were not happy but each of our customers is important and I am proud we treat all with equal respect.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed overnight,with a lie in after breakfast.Myself,Partner and 2 children stayed here for 1 night as we were Racing in Tregaron.Everything closer to Tregaron is booked year on year for this event.so I was concerned why there was still availability in this one.Should not of worried the bed was blissful great pillows and linen the room was clean well decorated and lovely bathroom with lots of hot water.The views are stunning and the breakfast was very good lots of fresh everything.I think the receptionist was called Heled who was very helpful and friendly.
Also they were holding a Wedding in the hotel when we stayed and it did not disrupt us in any way.Would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dmakinson

Many thanks for your recent review dmakinson,

It was with great pleasure I read your wonderful review. I await your return to the Conrah year on year from now on.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We enjoyed a great stay at the Conrah just outside Aberystwyth. Elegant spacious public rooms , lounges, conservatory, good bedrooms and ensuites. Outside summer house in the grounds. Good grounds and parkland . Country landscapes in all directions. Peaceful tranquil setting with just the sheep on nearby pastures and hills being the only outside sounds! Very good evening meal and breakfast. We hadn't visited the Conrah before, although we have stayed in Aberystwyth and Machynlleth on many occasions. The Conrah is another hotel in the area we will enjoy returning to.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear CharlesC,

I can honestly say I never tire of reading reviews like this, it gives me great pleasure to hear of another new customer and another great experience. I hope to see you again and add you to our ever growing list of regular customers.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Nice room with brilliant views from room on top floor.............good breakfast......restaurant rather expensive.....location wonderful......approx 3 miles outside Aberystwyth on coastal road
Cleaning of bathroom could be improved but overall a lovely 2 night stay

Room Tip: Top floor room no 9 has brilliant views
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glesni1

Many thanks Breconglesni,

I have passed your comments on to the housekeeping team and they were very disappointed to hear of this. I am glad you had a wonderful stay other than this and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great hotel in an idyllic location. Large rooms very comfortably furnished to look like a bedroom rather than a hotel room. Food was of exceptional quality nd a good range of wines and ales available also. n terms of vale for money this establishment would have to be rated as exceptional and we would recommend it to all those seeking more than your usual chain hotel or staying in the local pub. Very quiet surroundings and comfortable beds make for a good sleep.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Althom,

Many thanks for your recent review. I love your comment about the bedroom and this is exactly what we are trying to achieve, a "home from home" feel for our customers. I look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Nice old fashioned hotel, great location, close to Aberystwyth.
Staff are very friendly and the food is excellent.
Rooms are large, we had a twin room, a bit old fashioned, but had great views over mid Wales and the nice gardens.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for your recent review,

i am very pleased you had such a wonderful experience at Conrah and look forward to seeing you again very soon