“Spectacular views”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Melbourne, Australia
“Spectacular views”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Large, sunny room with a lovely modern decor.Right I'm the seafront... Could easily have sat in the armchair gazing at the sea for hours. Not to far to walk to the station, near lots of restaurants etc. Stunning breakfast too!!!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is the fourth or fifth time we've stayed at the Richmond and we love it. Its location couldn't be better - right on the sea front, with its own car park at the back of the hotel, and within a few minutes' walk of the town centre.

Our room on the first floor at the front of the hotel had extremely comfortable beds, was attractively furnished and very clean - our ensuite shower-bathroom positively sparkled. The view of the prom, beach and sea from the bedroom window is wonderful. There are small armchairs and a table in the bay window, so it's a lovely place to sit with a cup of tea and watch the sea, the weather or the world go by (there's a kettle in the room with a good variety of hot drinks and some biscuits).

The hotel has a comfortable bar if you just want a drink, though I'd recommend having dinner at the Richmond too - the food is excellent. A good variety of dishes made with fresh ingredients; the vegetables are cooked to perfection. I particularly enjoyed the sea bass (probably the best I've ever eaten) and the duckling. And the breakfasts are a real feast! Lots of different dishes of fresh, tinned and dried fruit, with yoghourt, cereals and juices, then you can order your own combination of freshly cooked hot food (bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomato etc) and toast.

And last but not at all least, the lovely staff. Everyone's really friendly and welcoming - the owners, reception staff, waiters/waitresses and cleaners. They all seem to want to make sure each guest enjoys their stay and has everything they need.

All in all, a great place to stay and highly recommended. We'll certainly keep on coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
North Wales
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I've stayed in Aberystwyth a few times lately and have not been able to find a decent hotel - Gwesty Cymru is always full. However I was pleasantly surprised following a recent business stay at the Richmond Hotel. The location on the prom is excellent and my room had a great view. . The room itself was clean and modern although the bathroom was a little on the small side. The staff were so friendly and accommodating and we had a lovely lunch here the following day. The car park at the back is also a bonus. This is a good clean and welcoming 3* hotel and I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: I'm aware that some rooms have yet to be modernised so worth checking when booking. Sea view roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Watford
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We came to compete in Race the Train in Tywyn and choose Richmond Hotel due to it's location. I don't read reviews prior to visiting an establishment. I'll judge on what I find from experience.

Check-in easy quick and easy and greeted by a lovely room over looking the sea and beach. Wonderful to sit and people watch and listen to the music from the bandstand. Everything clean, worked and fine by my stands and throughly enjoyed our stay.

Parking at the rear of the hotel was a blessing and we were able to come and go as we pleased whilst exploring Aberystwyth.

We came down super early on the Saturday morning as we had a race first thing so need some food spot on 0800 hrs and was greeted by the friendly chef. The waitresses were charming and welcoming ladies and made us feel very welcome. The cleaning lady / staff ? although we never met clearer does a good job so well done to her.

So all in all a lovely hotel with great staff. Clean, great access to the beach and town. Comfortable and welcoming. We throughly enjoyed our stay and will be back.

Oh, and we didn't beat the train. But that really didn't matter.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Watford_Wobble
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I first used this hotel last year when bringing my son to uni. I was impressed then. When I collected him I had to book at another hotel, not half as nice. So when I took him back last week and had a few days with my eldest son too, I was very glad to get the twin room with sea view and a single room. The staff are all very friendly and clearly want to ensure guests' needs are met and exceeded. The hotel is comfortable, impeccably clean, and very pleasant. I have been fortunate to get a sea view room on both visits and it is wonderful. The room was very spacious and beds very comfortable and cosy. My son was in a single room facing the back and that was also very comfortable. The breakfasts are excellent! A wide selection of fresh fruit prepared and whole available as well as cereals, yogurts, etc. selection of teas and you get a pot, not a cup of either tea or good coffee. We also had a meal on the first evening, and that was also excellent. Lamb cooked to perfection! I will definitely go there again. Great for uni visiting parents and families. Just one thing... Few more packets of milk required for the teas and coffees in the room. But that really is all!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Northern Ireland
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights in early August 2013. I was on my own, for a work trip, staying in a double room. It is billed as a hotel, but I would personally say that it was a traditional b&b.

I arrived early evening on a Sunday and received a mediocre welcome (at best). I found that I had to make the conversation with the lady on reception. I was given room number 4 which was on the first floor and unfortunately didn’t have a sea view. The view was looking over the car park and at residential houses – it wasn’t a bad view but I had really been hoping for a sea view.

The room was clean, but not spotless. The carpet was much worn and could do with an update. I noticed that there were lovely new carpets being laid in the stairways and in the halls during my stay – I think room 4 ought to be next!

The room itself was large and there was plenty of storage space. The tea tray was really well stocked with various teas, coffee, decaf coffee and biscuits as well as a bottle of water every day. Unfortunately the bathroom was absolutely tiny. Having a shower was simply uncomfortable and I was knocking my knees and elbows all over the place. I wasn’t even able to shave my legs in the shower as the room was so limited, and the shower itself was not at all powerful. The rim of the toilet was growing with something which looked like it needed some bleach and the small radiator in the bathroom was dusty. I found the bed pretty uncomfortable and the pillows were terrible. Not being used to the seaside environment, my sleep was terribly disturbed by the local seagulls making a ruckus from 4am. I found the walls in the b&b to be very thin and on a couple of evenings other patrons disturbed my sleep too. Additionally I could often hear them in the shower or at the toilet.

Although the hotel does have a small car park on one evening of my stay I couldn’t get a space and on a few other evenings I managed to get in but I was worried about getting back out again and actually in a couple of instances I was lucky that other cars moved out first, which then allowed me to go!

So far my review sounds terribly negative, but I was comfortable and felt quite safe here. The Richmond looks lovely from the outside – it looks like one of the better places on the prom and it is in a super location. I have to say the breakfast was fantastic and the young staff on breakfast were polite and friendly. The choice of fresh fruit was superb and I was always able to eat healthily from the hot options as well.

The free Wi-Fi was a brilliant bonus and it worked fantastically well. Additionally there were plenty of TV channels’ to choose from. I didn’t use the bar but the bar area was nice and cosy with a superb view.

I didn’t find the welcome book until the last morning when I was leaving and doing a double check that I had packed everything. It would be more helpful if it was laid out on the little table in the room. I have to say that when I checked out I wasn’t asked if I had enjoyed my stay!? I have to say customer service on the front desk definitely lacked a bit. I am glad my stay was paid for by work. I don’t think I would personally want to be paying the price of the stay.

I didn’t get much time to explore Aber, but I took the Cliff Railway which is worth the £4 return fare. I enjoyed the music in the Bandstand on a few evenings – the Aber Silver Band were my favourites. There is a lovely laid back vibe around the town and there are a few nice independent shops to explore.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Superb location, very comfortable, with extremely friendly and helpful staff. We stayed in the family suite, basically a 2-bedroom flat with large sitting room and bath-/shower-room. Stunning view, and outstandingly comfortable all told. Will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013