“Typical seaside hotel”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Nice Big clean room with sea view
Good breakfast, Friendly staff.
Parking at back of hotel
Good lounge and very clean

Room Tip: Check room before you accept it
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Richmond Hotel is a comfortable, friendly, smallish hotel right on the seafront - with wonderful views from the bar, the dining room and many of the bedrooms. We have stayed in other hotels in Aberystwyth but this is our favourite. It is excellent value for money, the rooms are clean and of a decent size with chairs and a table in the windows of the rooms with seaviews, the staff are always helpful and there is a car park at the back of the hotel. Don't miss the 'starling show' by the pier as the light fades and hundreds of starlings swoop round and round before settling for the night under the pier.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a seaview - it's great to be able to watch the sea in all its moods, whatever t...
1  Thank Val B
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Absolutely Fabulous!... great hotel with lovely friendly staff. great views! great food! lovely room with comfy bed! cannot fault it.. if you want a nice relaxing getaway this is the place to book

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tixylix_32
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Our family of 5 stayed here just a few days ago on the way to the north of Wales, and we really enjoyed our brief stay in Aberystwyth at the Richmond. We were greeted by a charming lady at the front desk, who filled us in on the weather. Our two rooms both faced the sea, and were very comfortable, with chairs and a table facing huge windows that overlooked the water. Our tiny bathroom was recently updated and very clean, and the beds were fine - nothing fancy. The best part of the hotel are the public areas, decorated in a pleasingly formal, old-fashioned way. It was great relaxing in the bar after a long drive through the rain, with leather armchairs and velvet banquettes looking out on the sea and a friendly bartender who patiently answered all our questions. Dinner at the hotel was excellent - I had a tasty carrot and cilantro soup, and a main course of lamb. The server was helpful in recommending wine and getting us everything we needed. Breakfast the next morning was in the downstairs breakfast room, and delicious. I wish we could have spent more time there.

1  Thank Gingembre
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was another excellent trip to the Richmond at Aberystwyth. Excellent Breakfast , good choice and freshly cooked. The staff are VERY helpful and always have a smile , they cant do enough to help.

Weather was very wet, but the Seaview Always bring a smile!

Cant wait for another visit

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Nice comfortable hotel, family run, good no frills welsh hospitality

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I live locally and decided to book two sea-view double rooms for myself and family for a Saturday night as part of my birthday celebrations (we went to see Jools Holland in concert). Check-in after 2pm. Very fast check-in and given two rooms next to each other (which I liked).
Very comfortable rooms. Good size. Lovely decor. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate (yes! hot chocolate!) AND two packs of biscuits. Guess I'm used to staying in Travelodge! Oh, and a bottle of water - free.
Everything was clean, tidy and presented well.
Good LCD TV.
Excellent view of the promenade - from both rooms.
Bed was very comfortable. I had a great nights sleep with the sound of the waves crashing on to the shore.
Bathroom was gorgeous. Shame we didn't have time to have a shower because unfortunately we checked-in late and had plans for the rest of the evening (out to dinner etc etc).
Breakfast was served (on a Sunday) between 8:30 and 9:30 (perhaps nice to have it until 10am?)
Just not enough time to enjoy a shower (and boy the shower looked like a good one - really regret that!)
We had to vacate by 10am (I think we were asked to leave earlier than usual check-out time? Because it was a Bank Holiday weekend - but so what?!)
I still paid the full whack for the room - just like anyone else!
Anyways. Staff were great. Very friendly.
Small bar open late into the evening. But very quiet!
Massive hotel, with massive seating areas, TV, and breakfast room.
I LOVED my stay. Can I come back again please - but can someone else pay for me this time?!
£95 per room. Expensive treat for me, but I would love to do it again.
Oh! By the way the breakfast was amazing! Loads of it. Too much for me! Cereal, fresh fruit, all manner of spreads, toast, AND full English brekkie!
And once again, staff were great. I really liked the lady who served us at breakfast.

THANK YOU Richmond Hotel!

Oh! It's got private parking too! Absolutely brilliant.
Perhaps I should treat myself more often, and stay away from those Travelodges!

Any bad points? Well - not really the end of the world, but the rooms had wonky floors, and there was seagull poop on the windows (but the seagulls in Aberystwyth are a force to be reckoned with - just don't park your car along the prom coz you're asking for trouble). So, can't blame the hotel for that.

Room Tip: Rooms 14 & 15
1  Thank Jazzer1990