“Great Location”

Shelley Town Residence
Ranked #30 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Fantastic location near to the town, castle and beach. The rooms were clean. However my bed was extremely uncomfortable with springs sticking into my back. Luckily I found a blanket and folded it into 4 which helped. There is only 1 bathroom between all of the bedrooms, I was in room 9, but there is1 extra toilet! At breakfast we were never offered scrambled eggs on either day, which would have been nice. When you find the staff they are very helpful and polite.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I arrived a little early without thinking and the house was still being cleaned, however I wasn't turned away and was welcomed in straight away - this was just poor timing on my part. The owners were really pleasant and my room, if a little small, was very nice. I got my own cafétiere in the room which is a nice touch! I had breakfast in the morning which is included in the already very good price. It's not full english or anything, but you get a bowl of cereal, followed by 2 mini croissants with butter and jam, followed by scrambled egg on toast. This was plenty and I was full afterwards, as well as it being very tasty. The house was clean and tidy, and I enjoyed a good night's sleep there. Don't go there expecting the ritz.. if you're expecting luxury then pay luxury prices. In my opinion, however, it's all you need and is very pleasant, especially at such good value. Would go again, and strongly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I found this residence incredibly good value for money at just £33 a night, which was considerably cheaper than any other residence I had looked at, and I wasn't expecting the level of quality and service which I received.

The owners were very helpful and kind, and I didn't feel intimidated or unwelcome. The room was the perfect size for me, had a very comfy bed and was clean. The bathroom was a great size and was also pretty clean.

The location of this house is great, as it is very close to the town centre with lots of lovely restaurants close by which would suit everybody's tastes. It is also really close to the coast and the castle, so you can watch the sunset or take a pretty stroll before going to bed. I felt well catered for at breakfast and there was a decent choice of food and drink.

Overall, I had an excellent stay and would recommend this residence to everyone who wants a good value stay in the beautiful Aberystwyth.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed here on New Years eve in a double rooom.

Immediatly after arriving we were asked to pay in cash as the card machine was broken which we doubt even existed. Therefore we trusted that we would have a pleasant stay and have no problems.

The conditions in the room were terrible. The window had such a draft that the blinds were moving constantly, the walls hadnt even been painted properly, and there was a horrible smell
throughout the house. The shared toilet was revolting, and there was mould in the shared shower.

After arriving back at the B&B at the end of the night, we hardly slept at all, this was due to the noise and a cold draft coming through the window.

To make matters worse, about 4am the girls from the room next door came in with 2 or more guests who hadnt paid for the room. The noise they made was rediculous.
They were walking along the corridors and talking until very early hours of the morning.
After a terrible nights sleep, we went down stairs at 8am to talk to julian.

He explained that he heard the noise in the night aswell, and when the taxi brought the girls back, he told them there was only supposed to be two paying guests. Why nothing more was done about this, ill never know.

After going back to bed to try and get a little bit more sleep, the party next door were awake, and started laughing and walking around again. After packing our belongings, my partner then went to speak to julian before we left, and suggested that the girls next door should be charged for our room in order for us to get a refund, as they had unpaying guests to which he knew about before they went to bed.
He refused to do this, and was very reluctant to help and suggested we speak to booking.com.
We found him very rude and unhelpful.

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend anyone stay here, unless you really are looking for somewhere to stay for che...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sandiewilliams
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We spent short time (2 nights) in Shelley Town Residence in November (2011). We had good impressions and liked this athmosphere. We could arrive late night without problems. The staff is very friendly, the rooms have competetive price and the location is perfect (close to seaside and also to city center).

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2011

If this place was in another town, it probably wouldn't have got such a good rating, but the majority of B and Bs and Hotels in Aberystwyth are overpriced and pretty grim. This was half the price of anywhere in the town centre on the days we stayed.
There is no internet and no TV. That suits us fine, we go don't go on holiday to sit in our room and watch Jeremy Kyle! There are an abundance of pubs and cafes with free internet if you can't tear yourself away from Facebook for two minutes.
The rooms are charming, old fashioned but not in a chintz sort of way like some of the shockingly bad hotels on the sea front. Comfy beds, original floors, books to read in the rooms. Breakfast is basic, so if you are in to clogging your arteries with half a pig probably not for you, more than adequate with fresh juice, toast, fruit, and cereal, good tea and coffee. Also good quality tea and coffee in the rooms.
Shared bathroom, only went up once and had to wait.
We got parked no problem but we know Aberystwyth very well. Parking can be a problem, not just for this place, but for all of Aberystwyth (and most of the other hotels unless they have their own). You may have to drive around to park, but it won't be too far away.
The only niggle, which is quite a big one and one that Mr Shelley might want to look at, is the availability of the staff. We had to knock for a while to get some attention when we arrived, and being in the room outside the door, we have heard other people do the same...We also had an issue with our heater but couldn't find anyone to help. In the end we phoned the owner who sorted everything no problem. The staff are very friendly though when you manage to find them!
Also, if you like a lie in, maybe request an upstairs room because the breakfast room is right next the the ground floor room and you can hear everything.
We will definitely stay here again...we have paid double in the Town for worse...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tracy s
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Shelley Town Residence is a small guesthouse right in the center of town. Perfect location! It just opened, and the owner Julian was a great host and made us very welcome! The room and bathroom were clean and for a budget price this was a great place. We would definitely come back again!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends