“I love this gem of a place!”
Review of Maes-Y-Mor

Maes-Y-Mor
Ranked #6 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Have now stayed here twice and will do so agin next time we head this way. We stayed in one of the upstairs rooms last year, right next to the bathroom. And this time, two weeks ago, we stayed in the downstairs family room, which is en-suite. Lovely furnished rooms, clean, warm, comfy beds and friendly landlady. A real budget gem! I much rather have the kitchen fascilities than the pay over the top for the added B&B breakfast. And it's just around the corner from the sea! I would recommend this to anyone visiting Aberystwyth!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Maes-Y-Mor

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Had a great 3 night stay in Maes Y Mor - great rooms, friendly service from both the owners and staff. Really comfortable beds, shared kitchen with everything you need in it, really close to the sea (a minutes walk away just round the corner), local shops just up the road, good free wifi in every room. All this for a bargain price - highly recommended if your travelling to Aberystwyth and looking for somewhere with good quality rooms at a great price to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I would recommend this place to anyone, the location is wonderful, just 10 seconds from the beach and the lady who runs the hostel is very friendly and helpful. It was exceptionally clean and the facilities were excellent. Also very good value for money. I couldn't have asked for a better place and feel very lucky to have found it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I stayed in Mae-Y-Mor for work commitments. I have never experienced such a miserable time of my life.
The land lady was the rudest woman I have ever met. She was not welcoming and made my time there very uncomfortable.
The kitchen facilities were not up to scratch and at times the oven and cooker did not work.
It was very loud and noises from people outside kept me up. I came back from work one morning to find blood and vomit all over the banister and landing and two drunk boys outside my door. How frightening.
The only positive was how clean it was and the cleaner was very welcoming and caring. However I would not advise this to anyone and if you are planning to stay here, then good luck.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Shphillips1
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I have now stayed at Maes-Y-Mor twice. The first time was an overnight stop when cycling around Wales and I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the accommodation - I would describe this as a "boutique" hostel, it is lovely and exceptional value for money.

Having been so impressed with the accommodation and in need of a bargain get away for Christmas, I booked myself and my partner in for 4 nights over Christmas 2011. We had a great time - the kitchen facilities are so good we had no problem making our Christmas dinner (beef wellington followed by steamed pudding).

Both the rooms we have stayed in were well furnished and for a hostel this really does deliever over and above expectations whilst being cheaper than many other hostels that provide less. The owner could not be more helpful and accommodating.

I'm sure we'll be going back and would certainly recommend others give this place a try, especially if you are new to hostelling and not sure about trying it due to the horror stories you may have heard from others. This really is only a hostel in terms of price tag and the fact it is self catering with a communal kitchen, other than that it is the standard you would expect of a good family run hotel.

We're not normally ones to socialise with other guests but met a couple of other cyclists on our first stay and enjoyed swopping stories with them over dinner in the kitchen. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Extremekula
Reviewed December 24, 2011

This is great accommodation in this price range as stated by previous reviewers, nicely furnished rooms, really very comfortable beds, very clean, helpful staff. The location is brilliant. There is also a small very clean kitchen and fridge that guests can use during their stay. Our stay was for 2 nights and we had stayed previously in the ground floor room which was excellent and did not have the door banging problem that we experienced on this stay.

The noise from the doors slamming carries through the whole property from both floors of accommodation, so every time a guest goes in/out of their room this reverbrated up to our room. We were there for a peaceful break so our sleep during the night was interrupted by the late returners/early risers. Also during times in the day when we returned to our room for some quiet time the door slamming disturbed us a fair bit. There are notices asking guests to not slam doors however you have to be pretty quick to catch the door before it bangs shut, if something could be done about this then it would be a fantastic facility for visitors to Aber. This is the only reason we have scored 'average' otherwise it would be 'very good', if you're a heavy sleeper of this sort of noise wouldn't bother you you will be fine.

Room Tip: Ground floor room that sleeps up to 4 (and small en-suite) was perfectly quiet when we stayed.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed recently on a biking trip. The owner was friendly and helpful, and the facilities as described. Our room was clean and warm, with comfortable beds. Although the kettle in the room didn't work, the well-equipped kitchen was a few steps away. There's parking available at the back, and the seafront and town are within a hundred yards. Excellent value for money, and you can get a good breakfast at plenty of cafes in Aberystwyth if you want one, or cook yourself. Will come again next time we're in Aber!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends