“Good place to eat & socialise”
Review of Mandarin

Mandarin
Ranked #41 of 150 Restaurants in Aberystwyth
Cuisines: Chinese, British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Good place to eat & socialise”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Okay, so it may not be up to the high standard of Chinese restaurants I used to frequent in London when I lived there, but it's jolly good never-the-less. It offers good, familiar, honest dishes (eg Cantonese sweet & sour pork-a favourite of mine) that are cooked very well. I do wish that there were a few more ambitious dishes on the menu, but what I have eaten is excellent. I visit at least every two months for lunch with my mother (she just loves their king prawn curry with fried rice), & friend Sandra & I frequent it in the evenings every few months. I have never had a meal to complain about, having enjoyed everything presented to me. It's quiet during lunch, just right for my elderly mother & I to chat in a relaxed setting. At night, it is more lively, but still conducive to easy socialising. The staff are attentive & friendly, especially owner Tony. There is a warm welcome when we walk in. It's a good place to go. Try it & see what you think.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Keithcelt

London
“Old fashioned food but good service”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

when a chinese restaurant offers a western menu, chips as an alternative to rice and has peas and carrots in the stir fry, then it's a bit of a time trip back to the '70s. But the service is good and the food portions are generous.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank boysfromlondon
“not valuable to taste”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

The food is too expensive and it is not the typical Chinese food either, I am not recommending you to go and taste

Pembroke, United Kingdom
“Go for the sizzling steak!”
Reviewed December 24, 2011

We visited on our last trip to Aber in December. Went to the Mandarin on a nostalgia trip really... last visit 2002! Tony was as accommmodating as ever and even remembered our names after all that time, how does he do that?? Hard to comment on the food because I have never got beyond 'A8' - I had it once and every time since. Sizzling fillet steak with black pepper sauce.... we love it and now that we've been reminded we will be back.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank batoot
Wales
“Best Chinese in Aber!”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Have eaten here several times and the service is always excellent. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The food may be a little more expensive than some other Chinese restaurants but it's well worth it to feel valued as a customer!

1 Thank Lugtwm