“Over all good stay”

Castle Hotel
s wales
“Over all good stay”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here for one night on second floor room excellent
double glazing helps with noise mentioned by others, but makes room very hot
Continental breakfast ok ; Staff friendly and helpful
perhaps aircon would be the answer shame because the heat in rooms seems the main issue

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fmos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Room very good, but noisy and too hot !! Expected a better view too !
We booked a room at very short notice, to take advantage of the good weather. The reviews I saw looked very good, as did the advertisement on Laterooms. I did however notice the concerns about noise...
The advertisement talks of the hotel being yards from the beach, harbour and marina (oh and Castle); but you wont get a view of any of these from the rooms, possibly bar one. I was on the 2nd floor, and we could just see the castle over the roof tops. The hotel is on narrow town roads totally.
Upon arrival, we checked in at the bar; there was a rugby match on very loudly, so I was a bit concerned about the noise (as reported). However, finding that we were on the 2nd floor, no noise was evident at this time.
The staff were very friendly, and the room itself is at a high standard. However, I did find the room too warm overnight (June); so we had to sleep with the window open. I was woken at about 1am by a very noisy conversation - not sure if it was in the street or from the bar, but after a while, it became more muffled; I think someone shut a door....
I think to call it a hotel doesn't meet my definition of hotel; its a pub with some very well turned out rooms. There was no evidence of food served on the premises, although I was content to go looking anyway. There is the offer for a continental breakfast served in your room also; but nothing more. We opted to find a breakfast next morning.
If I went back to Aberystwyth, which we enjoyed, I would look for somewhere actually on the front, with a much better view of the talked about sunsets

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dave S
Cambridge
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Had reckoned that this was the smartest hotel in town (going mostly by pictures), but was slightly alarmed on arrival to see what looked from the outside, like a bit of a rough pub.

However, got a really friendly welcome at the bar and was shown to my room - which for a small hotel, was very well finished indeed.

Reviewers have complained about noise from the bar (it closed at 11 when I was there but can imagine it doesn't always), parking (there's plenty of parking nearby), no separate entrance to the hotel (yes there is).

If you're a pedantic stuck up type who prefers bland chain hotels or the faded glory of the dated hotels on the front, this may not be for you. However, if you want a stylish and well finished independent hotel and don't need a cholesterol busting breakfast, I doubt there are many better options than the Castle.

Would I stay there again? Without hesitation

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Cocoda-Cambridge
Peralada, Spain
Reviewed June 9, 2014

A well situated hotel, close to the beach and within easy walking distance to the town center. The room was large and very comfortable. A great bar downstairs! Friendly and helpful staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have stayed at The Castle a couple of times recently while working in Aberystwyth and am impressed by the quality of the rooms and the friendliness of the staff. Breakfast is brought to your room at a time to suit you. Parking is on the surrounding streets so it can be tricky to find a space during busy periods.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I wasn't actually expecting much from the Castle. However, I was really shocked!

The rooms are tasteful and spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable and I had everything needed for a good stay. Breakfast to the room was fine for me and if you do want something warm there are plenty of cafés around.

The staff were all very helpful and friendly.

Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
St Cyrus
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Went to stay in Wales for a couple of nights the original hotel I booked was awful to say the least so the following day I booked into here as I had all my bags with me the manager allowed me to leave them there from 11am, the cleaner then placed them into my room for my arrival they then went out of their way to ensure my room was cleaned first so I could check in early which was fab. The staff were all extremely friendly with the cleaner even apologising for having linen set out in the hall (I was early so this was no issue) The room was lovely very clean with everything you could need the shower was amazing considering the first hotel flooded and there was no hot water in the shower :( only a short distance from the pier. I would highly recommend and will definitely be back on my next trip to Wales :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple