“I found my new favourite place to stay in Aber.”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I only found this hotel because I left booking a room for our holiday until too late and my favourite B&Bs were full. Now I am glad we ended up in Castle Hotel.

I had read the reviews and was expecting a very small room with thin walls, slamming doors and a very noisy bar downstairs. We were shown into a room which was modern, fresh and clean. There was enough space for two and a really useful closet where we could put all our luggage and shoes and hang our clothes. There were even two white dressing gowns. They use quality bedlinen and towels. I am not sure if every hotel has to do room service but they do make up your room every day in this one.

Although I would have preferred to go get my own breakfast I opted for the optional breakfast as it was just so convenient to have it delivered to our front door in the morning and eat in bed.

I am quite tolerant to noise. That is one of the reasons I decided to book the room despite the reviews. But I can imagine that others may be bothered by it and want to get some sleep. At the end of the day that is what they pay for. We stayed on Sunday and Monday in a room just one floor above the pub and could not hear a thing from the pub downstairs. It was not busy though. I suggest you do not stay on Fridays and Saturdays if you mind the noise. And the hotel could reduce the rates on those days if it is a real problem.

So overall, it was very pleasant to stay at the Castle Hotel.

I hope you find this review helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Superb standard of room for the price (for any price!) - one of the best showers I've ever had.

Helpful, friendly staff too. I imagine the bar downstairs is a little busier during term time but when I stayed it was quiet and welcoming. A shame there is no cooked breakfast available but there are plenty of good cafes and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We had a lovely two night stay here, the rooms are finished to a very high quality and the people are very friendly and helpful. Our only concern at the start was parking, however it is only a two minitue walk to the marina where parking is £3.00 a day if you dont want to park on the main road outside the hotel. We will definately be coming here again at the end of September and try a different room!. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: If your over 6ft tall definately book a bigger room than the standard double. You will get a King s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed in this hotel last night and was so so pleased with my stay. Both the service and the room more than exceeded my expectations. The room was finished to a very high standard and every possible detail had been taken care of. I will definitely use this hotel repeatedly from now on. Thanks for all your hard work and effort @staff at Castle hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Firstly dont be too put off by the pub below. In fact embrace it, they do a cracking pint. The rooms have their own seperate entrance off to the side with easy card scan style access. Staff were friendly on arrival.

The room is clean, nicely fitted, nice bathroom. Free wi-fi was a bonus.

Personally we appreciated the calibre of amazing books that came with the room (life of Tom Jones included for free)

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TomSean1986
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Castle Hotel for one night and were greeted by one of the bar staff from the pub below who was both polite and very helpful. Our room was absolutely stunning and had everything that we needed for a comfortable stay. Our room was beautifully set out, very stylish and extremely clean. The en-suite shower room was stunning and the big overhead shower was a bonus. The little extras were all appreciated such as the bathrobes, hairdryer and mugs (as opposed to small cups) for the complimentary tea/coffee/hot chocolate. We put in a request for porridge for breakfast and they were more than happy to oblige. The hotel is perfectly situated for walks along the sea front and into town. Parking can be a little bit difficult, as is often the case in Aberystwyth, but we did not experience any problems during our stay. We did experience some music noise into the early hours of the morning that seemed to be coming from the pub downstairs but it was not so intrusive that it prevented us from going to sleep. We did have more difficulty however trying to ignore the students who were clearly celebrating their graduations and who decided to serenade hotel occupants in the small hours. Thankfully they did not stay long and in some respects this sort of thing should possibly be expected given that Aberystwyth is home to vast numbers of students. Overall our stay at the Castle Hotel was very pleasant and we would definitely come again although next time we may request a room on the higher floor.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed in the Castle Hotel in one of their "sea view rooms." Check in was in the bar and we were shown to our room by the very friendly barman who also helped with our bags. The room was excellent and very clean. The bed was a comfortable king size and the room was decorated nicely in a modern style. It was also nice to find the powerful drench shower which was wonderful with plenty of space. The bar was nice and the friendly locals and the barman helped us find a very good pub to eat in that evening. The hotel guest rooms have a separate entrance so you are free to come and go as you wish without going through the bar. The bar and hotel rooms both have good free WiFi which I find to be essential these days. Free parking is on the street and we were able to leave our car just outside the hotel. We had a great stay in the Castle and we will definitely be going back to this highly recommended hotel.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room if you might be sensitive to the little noise that comes from the late night...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends