“Very small and extremely expensive - Some dangers too”

Magic of Life Butterfly House
Ranked #10 of 36 things to do in Aberystwyth
More attraction details
Owner description: Walk among free-flying butterflies in a luxuriant tropical display. Hundreds of butterflies as well as giant caterpillars, beetles and leaf insects. Outside there is a well-established native butterfly garden. Free guided tours are available. Run by biologists.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Firstly I was concerned there were stinging nettles present (my toddler nearly grabbed one) and a loose small glass cabinet. Secondly this butterfly farm is a very small polytunnel - maximum 15m long. Family of 2 adults and one paying child cost more than £17. i was prepared to forgive the high cost as I assumed it would cost a lot to keep the place heated etc. Then I noticed a sign saying Statkraft donate the electricity and water! Other (bigger) farms charge the same without this subsidy, and are much better organised. The kids did enjoy it, but it still didn't even nearly justify the huge price - if our youngest was a year older it would have cleared £20!

1  Thank trumptonfireman

Reviewed May 22, 2013

i have visited a few butterfly houses in my time,but this was a rip off.£6.50 each to get in to a little poly tunnel,and not many different species,We will not be visiting again,we had more enjoyment in the Statkraft Visitor Centre next door for free

Reviewed May 19, 2013

It's only a little place & it's well out of the way, its a little shabby but there are some wonderful butterflies inside.
It is expensive @ £6.50 but when you consider the heating costs even when the weather is good you can understand it.
As I am a photographer I had a whale of a time & thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

It is just a poly tunnel and it costs £6.50 to go in but there are lots of butterflies and tropical plants and the young lady was very enthusiastic and informative. We spent about half an hour in there and got some super photos - some of them were as big as small birds! I can understand the price as it is so hot in there it must cost a fortune to heat. Children would love it.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was a lovely visit. Lots of stunning butterflies, mostly from the East, I think, in a polytunnel. The owner and manager is very friendly and knowledgeable, as is his assistant. My only comment would be that there's no information inside the house, so that you could identify and find out about the butterflies as you see them, or look for a specific one. There's not a lot of room for a display, though, as all the space is devoted to the butterflies and their food plants.