Brynowen Holiday Park
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We went for a short Mon to Friday break, 2 adults and a dog so we were not expecting a 5* cat caravan, but what we got was a disgrace. Firstly you can book in after 4pm, but they keep everyone waiting way after that time putting everyone into the club house where they can buy drinks and food while they wait. We finally got our key at 5:30pm.

As I said we were not expecting a 5*, but what we got was old, dirty and certainly not checked by someone with an understanding of what cleanliness is, dread to think what there house looks like!. But moving on, the sofa was so solid with dirt in places that you could scrape it off and it was not fresh dirt. There was a empty glass if milk in the bathroom with a further one in the kitchen. The crockery and cutlery all needed to be washed prior to use.

The dirt I would think was caused by children soiling not pets but the inability of cleaners to clean and supervisors to observe and rectify the substandard work and deal with those concerned make me wonder how the management at a site level get away with it. Obviously senior management do not read the reviews or take an interest in Brynowen providing monetary targets are met.

While waiting for the keys as we were in 'bronze' gold and silver got their keys but even they were coming back with complaints about the accommodation.

I did complain but all you get is a discount off a further holiday with them, I paid extra for having the dog which no doubt covers any additional cleaning, no it does not go into addtional cleaning I can assure you.

I would advise anyone thinking of a holiday at Brynowen to read a lot of the comments here and go elsewhere.. Be warned do not go there

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank peter f
Write a ReviewReviews (1,384)

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Even though we had read some bad reviews we thought we would give it a go as it is a great location. With the dog we were limited to Bronze caravans.
We went in Sept 2013 for a long weekend. We arrived at 5.45pm, had to queue approx. 15mins before being told that our keys were not ready. We returned in an hour but still not ready, we were given a voucher for £10 for the inconvenience. Finally we got our keys just after 7pm, which happened to be the time the office closes so when we saw the state of the caravan we were unable to do anything. The furnishings were grubby, worn with large ripped edges to the settees by the door and along the top by the window. The flooring was missing a piece and the table had been conveniently placed over it to hide it. The dishes and cutlery were very few, all odd and we only had very small drinking glasses. The only heating was in the lounge area which I felt looked dodgy. In the bedroom the duvet cover had a horrible stain right by my face and if we'd have flipped it we would then have the grey duvet all hanging out in our faces. There were also other little things but you get the picture.
The next day we complained but as I'd wiped everything over and we had plans and no time to just hang about to be moved, I just asked that duvet covers be provided to put over the settees and a clean one for our bed. These finally arrive after 6pm in a large plastic bag. Also the voucher they gave us could not be used in the shop, only in their restaurant or bar. We didn't realise till the last minute, we were not impressed standing at the checkout with armfuls of things for the journey home.
We took no photos because I did not want to ever have to remember this time. Although once we got home I thought I should give them an opportunity to explain.
I phoned which was a hassle in it"s self, finding the right number. Eventually we got a reply, apologising and offering us some small percentage off but I told them I would not be going back. The complaint was passed to Brynowen. When they replied they said that the caravans were being upgraded all the time and this would never happen again. Finally they offered us 25% off which I said No too. Then very promptly they emailed back saying this was final.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank 24ShaF
Park R, General Manager at Brynowen Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to give us feedback.

I’m sorry that your holiday got off to such a disappointing start. The team do work hard to provide good service, however sometimes we can get it wrong, your feedback enables us to improve the service we provide.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed, like many others, Monday - Friday end of October, family of 6, also staying was my sister in law and her family of 4 (we had both booked separate caravans, by the way). On arrival to our caravan, first thing we saw were the ripped - not worn, slashed - and urine looking stained seats; I emptied a few carrier bags out for the kids to sit on before starting to check the rest of the caravan out and put things away.

We checked the toilet on the way through the caravan, and found water from the shower all over the floor - unsure if it was just from cleaning (although the plug area was full with discarded hair) or a leak because the floor was also wet; on entering the first bedroom, there was only 1 duvet and that was mouldy as was the curtain, and on entering the 2nd bedroom the curtains were too small, didnt close (would have been done for exposing oneself if you undressed in there!) and were also full of mould and the bed felt damp. On the way back through the caravan to the children, who were sat on the carrier bags watching tv - that and the fire were the only good points - I realised something that I heard crunch earlier underfoot, were shards of glass - and that a glass had been left broken, some over the floor and some next to the kettle. We picked the residue up and went to reception to complain about the whole place.

Reception were very understanding and moved us to another caravan, which was bigger and to better spec., it was still a bit dated and not dirty but not actually clean either, but was a palace compared to the previous one. We then went to find my sister in law to tell her of our new location, where we found her with an even dirtier stained living area - with holes in the floor too, but curtains that closed and no leaks, so she used our carrier bags to sit on when in her caravan but spent most of her time in ours.

The site itself was small and quite pleasant, kids enjoyed the pool, men the bar. The small shop didnt really sell much but wasnt as astronomically priced as may camp sites we have been too, there is a nice shop just outside the camp - and they sold delicious cakes. There is also a large morrisons supermarket in Aberystwyth about 10 - 15 mins drive away.

The town of Borth is small and in October a bit bleak, but for us that was part of its charm; the shingle beach - more just a coast than a beach - was just across the road, and there were several surfers out during the week we were there. We also had a day trip to Newquay and were lucky to see several dolphins and also a few seals.

Would possibly go back, but only if it could be guaranteed that we would not get such a dirty and stained caravan as the first one - or my sister in laws, which was even dirtier. Disappointing caravans let the park down.

5  Thank juejosh

Many thanks for the feedback.

I’m glad that the issues you reported to reception were dealt with promptly. I will pass your comments on regarding helpful staff.

We would love to welcome you back again, please give us a call on 01970 871 366 and our Holiday Sales Advisors will be happy to help!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We booked this trip through Groupon, so had a good price for the long weekend. Before going I checked 'Trip Advisor' (wrong way round-I know!), and became very apprehensive about the holiday.
We had the bronze standard caravan, on arrival the caravan wasn't quite ready, but this was fine and we amused ourselves in the arcade for half an hour until it was. We received the keys and went to the caravan. The caravan was old but but perfectly adequate and clean. There was a slight smell of wet dog, but a few squirts of the 'febreeze' I had brought with us, soon solved that. The bedding was all new and clean. The bathroom had obviously been recently painted and was fine. the only issue being that they hadn't replaced the ventilation cover after painting. There was 4 of everything in the kitchen and the cooker was immaculately clean. The seating area was not ripped although the caravan curtains and blinds didn't close properly or had been damaged but not to the extent that it affected our privacy. The staff were very friendly and happy to help.
The biggest issue we had was that the flagged area outside the caravan, had broken and missing flags, which made it difficult to park, however being as it was stormy weather for most of the time we were there, you couldn't expect them to sort this out.
You get what you pay for, we paid bargain basement price and had a reasonable standard of caravan, if we had been willing to upgrade I'm sure we would have seen more benefits- but I'm happy with what we had, for the price we paid.

Room Tip: If you don't want the wet dog smell pay for a more expensive van.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jane P

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Brynowen.

I am delighted to hear that we were able to create some amazing memories for you and I will pass on your comments about the caravan to the Accomodation manager.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Been to this site before after having a great time previously.Book a gold caravan 21/10/13.
Greeted with a caravan that was like somebody's home! 3 piece suite in living room, en suite shower room and bathroom had a corner bath and we even had a washing machine!! The view from the balcony was a picture.The site itself needs a bit of revamping admittedly but attitude of the staff is always friendly.Special mention for the lad behind the patio bar.!The weather was great and we had a really good time.
The only thing that I was upset with was 2 members of staff in the patio bar ( one looked like he was management) openly swearing whilst there were children coming in and out.Not a great impression!
Have a day trip out to New Quay ( about an hour away) and go and see the dolphins in the bay or by boat. a great day out for all the family.

Room Tip: Get a gold caravan at the very top of the park ( if you don't mind walking) the scenery is great...
2  Thank djstan2013

I am delighted to hear that we were able to create some amazing memories for you! I will pass on your comments to the team as it's always great to hear.

The views from the top of the park are amazing.

We look forward to welcoming you back again, please give us a call on 01970 871 366 and our Holiday Sales Advisors will be happy to help!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Just returned from Brynowen Park....had a decent time,nice caravan on field 4 which is up the hill and a bit of a walk.The facilities on the camp are very good and all in a fairly small entertainment area....for what we payed through THE SUN holiday offer we were well pleased.
Markmywords.

Room Tip: Higher the better.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

I am delighted to hear that we were able to create some amazing memories for you! I will pass on your comments to all the team.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We booked this 7 night holiday back in January, as we hadn't been on holiday in over 5 years we really looked forward to it.
The first day there we arrived slightly early but were given the keys to our van. Was terrified if i'm honest that the caravan (and almost every other one) was propped up on breeze blocks, it didn't fill me full of confidence.
Once inside the gas was not working so my husband collared a worker travelling round on a buggy who told him to switch it on (have stayed in caravans all my life at lots of sites and never had to turn our own gas on) once that was sorted the boiler would not light so we phoned down to reception and was told someone would be round within half an hour after 2 hours we phoned yet again they again stated someone would be round.
No-one came that night so no-one got showers and we ended up staying in for the first night of the holiday thinking that someone would eventually turn up.

When we started getting ready for bed we noticed the pillow cases were dirty and stained and, when we changed them to ones we had found in the cupboard (obviously the clean linen is left but the cleaners hadn't bothered to change them even though it states 'beds made up ready for you') we found the pillows absolutely covered in mould.
This was bad enough however the entire bedroom wall is plastered with mould and the curtains are wet and mouldy too.

The caravan itself seemed clean but the fire was totally covered in rust, the oven door was broken, the fridge held together with cable ties and the bathroom window was completely missing a handle making it completely useless and also freezing cold.

We thought about complaining but after no-one bothered that we had no boiler we figured it pointless.

The arcades are terrible, half the machines take your money but don't work and theres no-one around to ask for help.
The shop was empty (being the end of the season I can understand and there is a nisa at the end of the road) but the lady working there was very nice.

However the kids loved the pool (I think the chlorine may have been to strong as we all had red sore eyes after) and the lifeguards were friendly.

The club was lots of fun, from the linked bingo to madness and mayhem. I'll admit the female entertainment staff didn't seem to have any enthusiasm but the male ones made up for it and they dressed up great for Halloween. The security staff put me on edge though as they were walking up and down every night, don't know what they thought would happen in a family club.

In the end we had an okay holiday, Borth is quiet but nice and Aberystwyth is just a 10 minute drive away and and theres lots to do there.

However no-one ever turned up to fix the boiler and as neither myself nor my husband smoke we had no matches or lighter so in the end my husband fashioned a fire lighter from a bit of paper and managed, after about an hour, to light the boiler on the second day of our holiday.

We paid full price for this trip so I am extremely unhappy about the state of the caravan, they say you get what you pay for but i've been on £9.50 sun holidays that have been a million times better than this, also we always have the bog standard caravan where ever we go on holiday and this is the only one that has been terrible, I'm positive that these caravans should be out of comission now.

Although I like the area and the club I would never stay here again.

4  Thank Becky S

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us, although I am very sorry to hear you encountered these problems during your stay.

I will be passing on your comments to the Maintenance & Accommodation Manager regarding the caravan.

I’m glad you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and the facilities.

01970 871 366

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
#5 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 3 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Brynarth Country Guest House
The Pier Hotel
The Pier Hotel
#5 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Llety Ceiro Country Guest House
George Borrow Hotel
George Borrow Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ponterwyd

Been to Brynowen Holiday Park? Share your experiences!