“weekend in caravan”

Brynowen Holiday Park
Reviewed September 12, 2013

weekend in brynowen holiday park very clean caravan not a lot at borth. but close to aberystwyth to go every day. only used the club one night there are some nice small pubs in borth. put all the lights go out at midnight in the high street on the front very dark. get back to caravan be for cheers.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank merc7westmids
Park R, General Manager at Brynowen Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Brynowen; I am delighted to hear that we were able to create some amazing memories for you and I will pass on your comments about the caravan to the Accomodation manager. We would love to welcome you back again, please give us a call on 01970 871 366 and our Holiday Sales Advisors will be happy to help!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,384)

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just returned from a weekend at Brynowen Holiday Park with my husband and 3 year old daughter. I must say I wasn't looking forward to the trip after reading some of the terrible reviews on here before going so when we arrived I wasn't really expecting much. We arrived at the park about 5pm and check in was very quick and easy and the lady on reception very friendly and helpful. As we had booked through one of the newspaper holidays we were given a Bronze caravan which we didn't bother upgrading as it sort of defeats the object of a cheap break. The caravan was OK. Wasn't spotlessly clean to my standards but the main things, like toilet, shower and beds were acceptable and I took all my own bedding, quilts and pillows. I did have to wash all the dishes and cutlery before using them as they still had dried food on them which was pretty disgusting and there were a few ripped and stained cushions on the sofa but other than that pretty much acceptable. The site itself is actually quite nice, if the caravans were up to scratch i would consider going back for a short break. My husband and daughter used the pool which they said was ok, not many changing facilities though so they came back wet and changed in the van. He did say the staff around the pool were very good and helpful though. We didn't eat on site as I am not a lover of fast food from club houses but we did find a few nice pubs in town where we had some nice meals and a carvery on the Sunday. Payed a visit to Borth Animalarium which was a lovely afternoon out and well worth a visit. Overall a decent break on a nice site but the caravan let it down or I would have given an extra star.

Room Tip: Would probably be better off upgrading to a better caravan.
4  Thank Laura L

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us, although I am very sorry to hear you encountered problems with the caravan during your stay, especially in regards to the cleanliness and the issues with the inventory. I will be passing on your comments to the Accommodation Manager so we can investigate why it didn’t get properly cleaned. I’m glad that the rest of the park and team made you all feel so welcome. Again, thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, we do appreciate all feedback.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

After reading the reviews about this resort/site we were a bit concerned that it was going to be a right dump. On arrival at Borth it was very nice indeed. On check-in the staff were very friendly and helpful. We went to our caravan expecting a very tired and worn out old van, but hey....it was really very good. Clean and in a reasonable state of repair. The only thing that we missed is a door mat and somewhere to hang our wet clothes to dry.....it is Wales after all! Anyway, all in all a great little break with the family

2  Thank MiseryGuts27

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Brynowen; I am delighted to hear that we were able to create some amazing memories for you! We would love to welcome you back again, please give us a call on 01970 871 366 and our Holiday Sales Advisors will be happy to help!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked to stay Friday till Monday with a 8 week old baby.
On arrival we had already paid for beds to be made up but when checking into the caravan the beds were not made. Also the tv was missing?? We reported this to the reception staff and within the hour this was all sorted.
Once we had unpacked we decided to have a look around the resort to find there was nothing to actually do. The swimming pool did not look baby friendly. We then took a drive out to the see front to also find there is nothing to do.. Very poor location for the younger couple as me and my husband are 25 years old. On the night time we decided to get a takeaway from the patio bar but took an hour for the food to arrive. As we waiting for the food one of the staff was rude to a lady just checking in.
The day after we decided to take a drive to Aberystwyth to find nothing there again. We then went back to the caravan and packed up and came home 2 days early.
If you are going to this resort take plenty of board games!

• Stayed: September 2013

Many thanks for the feedback. I’m glad that the issues you reported to reception were dealt with promptly. I’m sorry that you felt that the park and area of Borth & Aberystwyth did not have enough for you to do which resulted in you deciding to go home early.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We recently stayed at Bryowen with our daughter and grandson and booked into a silver caravan which we thought would be of an acceptable standard as it cost nearly 600 for a week.
The only good thing the park has going for it is the friendly and helpful staff. On locating our van we checked out the basics, the shower was leaking badly along the hose with hardly any water coming out the head, the fridge had a 'foot' missing and wobbled each time it was opened, the oven door glass panel fell out when we opened it and it was greasy and smelled bad, the carpet in the lounge was very stained and the carpet in the bedrooms felt damp.
When we went to bed we found the mattresses very uncomfortable, the springs were almost through the top. The so called air vents for 'central heating' didn't work and the bedrooms were freezing. We complained to reception immediately and they sent someone along with a new shower hose. The oven door was taken away and it took until the Thursday for it to be replaced. The fridge was 'propped up' with a stone from outside the van. I have to say that the bed linen was very clean. We found the site to be very disjointed with entertainment, pool, shop and playground on different levels. Pool has no lockers for property, this was strewn all over the place getting damp. There is a flume but this can only be used when the weather's good as a fire door has to be opened so that the stairs to it can be located (these are outside??) Vans are too close together, kids screeching and running around, dogs tethered outside other vans barking whenever kids ran by - and this was often. Playgroung access on steep incline - not ideal with a 2 year old and pushchair. We left early - couldn't wait to get back home to some comfort. Borth area very quiet, massive sandy beach (after the pebbles) but very wet as tide comes right in. Wouldn't go back to this park.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us, although I am very sorry to hear you encountered these problems during your stay and that it took so long to replace the oven glass. I will pass your comments on regarding the friendly and helpful staff. I’m sorry that you felt the rest of the park was not satisfactory to what you wanted.Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, we do appreciate all feedback.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have holidayed with Haven for nearly twenty five years, but the poor standard of service and dirty caravans we had had from them over the last three years made me look elsewhere this year. We had never stayed in that part of Wales so looked at staying at Brynowen.

From the moment we arrived I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff, but I must admit I was saying a silent prayer that our caravan would be nice as we were driving towards it. We had paid for a platinum, so I was hoping that I wouldn't be starting this holiday complaining as I had with Haven. The caravan itself was amazing, with breathtaking views over the bay. I have to be honest, I was disappointed at the cream lounge carpet, which was quite stained, as to me "luxurious" accommodation does not mean tea stains! I didn't want to start another holiday complaining, and to be honest the rest of the caravan was spotlessly clean that I just let it go. I expect though that at the beginning of the season, the carpets would have been spotless. You could see the stains were from spilt drinks that lazy people had not bothered wiping up which is hardly the resorts fault. I would also imagine with the site being extremely busy over the holidays, it would have been difficult to get the carpet cleaned and dried during the few hours between handovers. However it was a shame, as it took the holiday from being perfect to being very good.

So the plus sides!

The staff were amazing, and very helpful.
The food in the patio bar was great and served very quickly
Borth and the surrounding area is very quiet but we loved this.
The area around the site is lovely, with lovely beaches and outstanding mountains and hills. The views from the top of the resort are amazing.
The pool when we went was spotless and the life guards really friendly. They were also really professional and a couple of times were running to the far side of the pool if they thought a child was in trouble.

Now the negatives.

Yes it is very quiet in that part of the world, but its Borth not the Bahamas! If you want peace and quiet though its ideal!!!!!! If you want partying on the beach, with steel drums and hog roasts this isn't the place for you.

If you struggle with mobility, ask if possible for a caravan on the flat part of the site.

We did struggle as well finding reasonably priced restaurants in the area, so in the end we cooked, but somehow eating and looking at the views made that seem not a chore.

Be realisitic!

No one should get a dirty caravan as that is unacceptable. However if you are paying for a Bronze, you will not be getting a Platinum standard caravan! Negative reviews on here are saying the caravan was old, a tap was rusty, but that is why it is a lower grade caravan. As my old nan would say "You get what you pay for in life" I was slightly disappointed at the carpet in our van, but to be honest as it cost £250 less then the same standard of van at Haven for that week, it was certainly something I could live with! However the amazing staff, the views and the area certainly made this one of the best holidays we have ever been on.

To sum up!

You are staying at Park Resorts, not the Hilton, so for the money you will not get Hilton style accommodation. However, I have stayed in some of the top hotels in this country, including the Hilton, but the customer service I received at Park Resorts far outshone any of those hotels. I couldn't have got a night in one of those holidays for what I paid for a four night stay for our family so for value for money Park Resort at Brynowen is a winner by far. We only got back on Friday, but already I have asked my husband to see if we can fit in another break there this year! Don't be put off by negative reviews, take a chance and see for yourself! We did, and I am so glad we did for as my husband said as we left " That resort is an undiscovered gem!"

4  Thank Kay C

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I know that we will not always be everyone’s “cup of tea” and we do get things wrong from time to time but the team are working very hard to improve the overall holiday experience we offer. Your review succinctly sums up Brynowen. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to all the staff here who work tirelessly to keep the park and caravans well maintained. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Perfect for a short break. The friendly staff made the holiday a pleasure, they were always smiling. Great location near Borth beach but an even better beach just down the road at Ynyslas. Great on park entertainment, especially for children. Great pool and play park. Will be booking to come again soon

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Brynowen; I am delighted to hear that we were able to create some amazing memories for you! I will pass on your comments to the team as its always great to hear. We look forward to welcoming you back again, please give us a call on 01970 871 366 and our Holiday Sales Advisors will be happy to help!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
#5 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 3 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Brynarth Country Guest House
The Pier Hotel
The Pier Hotel
#5 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Llety Ceiro Country Guest House
George Borrow Hotel
George Borrow Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ponterwyd

Been to Brynowen Holiday Park? Share your experiences!