“Don't do it!!!!”

Brynowen Holiday Park
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have been taking short caravan breaks with my family all my life and this is the worst break I have ever been on. Driving through Borth on arrival I don't see the attraction dull and bleak (even though it was a glorious day). The caravan site is a tale of 2 stories 1) the flat part near the entrance and the 'facilities' but all the caravans are crammed in, in rows 2) up a steep hill but if you're lucky you may just get a glimpse of the sea. Unfortunetly we were in the 1st part. On checking in I was told not to park on the grass by the caravan but on the road at the side - chance would have been a fine thing the caravans were so close together you would never have got a car onto the grass.

Caravan -
We 'upgraded' to the silver it was the smallest I have ever seen my living room at home was bigger (and thats not huge) with a view of the bedrom window of the van in front. I took my mum and 10 year daughter and spent the whole weekend apologising. The van was not only small but dirty with stains on the carpets and curtains, evidence of damp in the corners of the bedrooms and we couldn't use the shower for fear of needing a tetanus because it was rusty. Other people were complaining too on the way out. We were so close you can hear the people in the next caravans walking up and down all night.

Power -
If you have booked the site take a torch the power went every night as it can't cope with people putting the heating on and lights when its dark!!

Diner -
Do not use it. We ate here on the Friday night and have never seen a worse pile of slop. You are paying for reheated rubbish and I had a dodgy stomach the following day.

Pool -
Could not comment on what it was like it was closed apparently due to technical issues!!

As you can tell I wasn't impressed and I've been inundated with emails and texts since we got there asking me to buy a caravan on site so we can keep going back - think they'd have to pay me and even then I'd probably decline. Please do not waste your well earned money.

1  Thank ESH79
Park R, General Manager at Brynowen Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Hello and thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. As you mention Brynowen is built into the hillside and features five different levels. The caravans higher up our park feature views and generally have more space around them but are not as convenient for the facilities and access to the village as are the caravans sited on the lower flat levels of the park. We will always try to accommodate our guests according to their needs however. Silver caravans can vary in size but all feature the same basic standards of heating and accommodation layout. However, all caravans should be clean and presentable and as a result of your comments I am looking to improve our processes to ensure consistency in delivering and exceeding this standard and I must apologise that we failed to deliver on this occasion. We did have an electricity supply problem on the Saturday evening which was out of our control which led to the pool being closed for a time due to a reduction in the water temperature. We have since brought in temporary equipment to alleviate any future problems until our local electricity board build their new substation this winter!

There are newer reviews for Brynowen Holiday Park

Reviewed October 27, 2012

The swimming pool let it down. No changing area except a few shoddy cubicles. Plus pay no attention to the safety leaflet you will get regarding the flume saying "kids need to be 1 metre to use the slide" Not true. When we went I got told my son needs to swim a proper length with proper strokes. Not to sure why. He is over a metre tall and can stand easily enough in the water where the slide exits. Other then that I enjoyed the rest of the park. And I love Borth including Animalarium.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I spent the three hour journey worried sick about what lay ahead!! We had booked a gold plus caravan using our Tesco points to pay the majority of the cost but as we were taking our grandaughter (aged nearly 5) away for the first time I still was concerned after reading reviews on here. From check in to check out everything was superb. We had a 2012 caravan (660) which was spotless, very warm and well equipped. The beds were comfortable we had an bathroom with brilliant shower and an ensuite toilet and sink. The views from the outside decking were amazing. Our grandaughter loved the pool, the playground and most of all the kids entertainment (which although not our scene) we have to complement the team of entertainers for their hard work. All this cost us £26 plus our tesco points for three nights!!!! We spent a lovely morning at Ynyslas on the beach and on Sunday spent some time in Aberystwyth. There is not much to do in Borth but as a base to explore the surrounding area Brynowen was ideal. I would recommend up-grading to a gold or gold plus caravan and although not as convenient for the main facilities ask for a higher pitch. I would happily return again.

Room Tip: Up-grade caravan and high position
Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Serendipity59
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Where can I start ,it was the worst place I have ever stayed .the caravan was discussing wet bathroom floors dirty ripped mattresses the lounge area was dirty need I go on . We had taken our two dog with us but I wouldnt even let them stay in there !
The patio bar was a joke very exspensive and very dirty . Borth was the end of the earth no where to eat and only one decent coffee shop :-( we lasted 28 hours then just had to come home

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank susanmercer1972
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife & I stayed here for 4 nights from 8th October to 12th October. We were in a beautiful caravan 615 in Zone 6, a wonderful location with a glimpse of the sea.

We didn’t use the park facilities much because of the steep climb back to the caravan, a shuttle service would have been a great idea and we would have used the facilities more if the shuttle was available. There seemed to be everything on site that could be needed.

The staff are very friendly and the girls in reception were very helpful. Many thanks to Petra for amending my booking.

We took a walk into the local village and enjoy a few beers in the local pubs, the Vic does a great BBQ at night, I would recommend their wraps.

Room Tip: If mobility is a problem ask for a caravan on the lower field.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CreweCrew
Reviewed October 15, 2012

excellent holiday park.2 mins walk to the sea..good pubs in village,one doing bbq night on the decking overlooking the beach.well worth a visit..caravan park clean.plenty of information on things to do,

3  Thank binnybella
A TripAdvisor Member
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

When we waked into the caravan, there were toenails on the livng room floor and dust of some sort on the window sill. I took painkillers wach moring a s I felt every spring in the mattress and am nearly six months pregnant an the room smelt of damp. The television had no remote and I did not eat in the caravan or cook once as I felt it was not cleqn enough. I am aware I only paid £70 for th hliday but I have done a sun holiday before and stayed in a lovely caravan. This was dirty and needs updating. I would not return to this caravan again.
It would also be good to have a small mat by the shower to r educe the risk of slipping on the floor.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
#17 of 36 in Aberystwyth
Llety Ceiro Country Guest House
Dovey Inn
Dovey Inn
#7 of 11 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
YHA Borth
YHA Borth
#1 of 6 in Borth
Celtic Bay Guest House
Celtic Bay Guest House
#19 of 36 in Aberystwyth

Been to Brynowen Holiday Park? Share your experiences!