“Fantastic for all the family!!!”

Brynowen Holiday Park
Reviewed June 5, 2011

brilliant park to stay for the family, lots for the kids to do, the teamstars "paige, caroline,matty, zoe, emma etc were excellent made us feel very welcome and very freindly the kids loved them, the evening entertainment was very good, from the teamstar shows to the special guests, and we all love sparkle , sparky and narky!, the scenery was breathtaking and everything was pretty local ,

4  Thank saja1531
Write a ReviewReviews (1,384)

Reviewed May 18, 2011

This was our first stay at Brynowen Holiday Park and although it wasn't an awful weekend we won't be returning. Our caravan was very modern and spacious as we had upgraded but on closer inspection there was mould on the voile and curtains in the bedroom, on the bedroom floor and in the bathroom around the shower base. The shower head itself was also covered in mould and mildew and had a strong smell. The cleaners obviously hadn't checked inside the cupboards as there was a used tissue and some other disguising pieces of rubbish.

We decided to go to the swimming pool and were looking forward to it as it was our 1 year olds first trip to a pool and we were extremely disappointed. Following a very sharp request from the lifeguard "entertainment passes" was all that was said we then had to walk up a ceramic tiled slop up to the pool which was covered with water and quite slippy. I then had to squeeze myself and my daughter into the poolside changing room which was in a middle of a puddle on the floor and then had to put all of our belongings on the floor as there were no lockers.

We then got into the small pool which we assumed was for the smaller children which was extremely cold with green walls, so cold that my daughters lips went blue! We then got into the larger pool as this was a bit warmer but after 10 minutes had to get out because we were shivering.

Drinks extremely expensive - over £5 for a pint and a glass of coke. You feel like the security men are constantly watching you when playing on the gaming machines even walking around the other side when you do, not sure what they were expecting me to do with a 2p machine!

Overall a very disappointing holiday and we won't be going back.

1  Thank k221331
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I returned yesterday from a three night stay at Brynowen Park Resort and am very disappointed with my stay. My brother lives in Aberystwyth and so myself, my Mother, her partner and his teenage son stayed here on a Sun holiday booking in order to visit my brother. Incidentally, we stayed at this park in April last year, also on a Sun holiday, and we were absolutely astonished when we arrived and got the key to our van, to discover that we were in exactly the same van as our last visit! The van itself is extremely old and basic, with uncomfortable beds and not many utensils. However, after our last stay, we didn't feel it necessary to complain as we only stayed for two out of our three nights due to other committments. However, on this visit, the state of the van had only deteriorated further with stains on the carpet not having been cleaned, I found a childrens colouring in sheet and a broken bracelet under a cushion, the seat cushions kept sliding off the bases when attempting to sit on them, the springs in the mattresses were actually on the verge of piercing through the fabric, the bathroom door handle kept falling off and the toilet roll holder in the bathroom was broken and hadn't been replaced. Ok, so it was a £9.50 per person Sun holiday, however, people forget that this is only the initial cost. You also have to pay extra for entertainment passes, linen and also service charges, meaning that the total cost of the holiday JUST for the accomodation was over a hundred pounds. It is not unreasonable for me to suggest that this van is disgusting and is ready for destruction. The site itself is not too bad... Certainly a short walk up to the top levels of the site show where obvious care is taken to the grounds and walkways etc - I believe most of the vans up this end are privately owned. However, there are lots of scrap items lurking about such as bed frames and rubbish which wouldn't take much effort to hide just to tidy things up. There is a man who drives around the site all day on some kind of buggy with a trailer on the back in which I believe he transports dirty and fresh linen to vans - This man drives so very fast and doesn't appear to look where he's going. It is pointless having signs alerting visitors and other people to drive slowly if the site's own staff cannot even adhere to this - he is actually a danger to the many young children who freely run around the site. I have to admit, the entertainment in the evenings is good - even if it's not to your taste, at least there is something on which is inoffensive and is both appealing and suitable for children and adults alike, however, the prices of drinks are a complete rip off. On our previous visit, the price of a bottle of house wine was around the £9 mark - this time, upon asking for a bottle of house wine, we were given a bottle priced £15, which we later, upon asking again for the same bottle, were asked if we were sure we wanted that and not the house wine, discovered that we'd been charged for a more expensive bottle of wine than we'd asked for. The average cost of a drink is approximately £3.50 a pint, with soft drinks being over £2. I was charged £2.60 for a can of energy drink which I was told was sold at 60 pence in the smaller 'Patio Bar' which is open in the day on site. It is also worth mentioning that there seem to be far too many 'security' members of staff, largely, people in their late twenties, early thirties, who have delusions of authority. It seems that these people are actually glass collectors, but they wear t-shirts saying security on their backs. They carry walkie-talkies and are incapable of smiling. They are constantly walking around and watching your every move and I must say, I found this extremely uncomfortable and wholly unecessary. My advice here really would be, do not bother with the entertainment unless you are happy to pay absolutely extortionate prices for drinks, or drink in the van first then just go for one drink as I could literally have gone abroad for a week all inclusive with the money that this holiday cost. As I said, the entertainment is good - I can't really complain there, and the actual location of the site is brilliant if you want to be a bit further out than Aberystwyth, however, we will not be returning as we were just so disappointed.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
2  Thank rlvickers
Reviewed May 5, 2011

With a good deduction from Tesco vouchers, our holiday proved to be cheap and cheerful. There are many scathing reviews regarding the caravans, however, we must have dropped lucky as ours was spacious, clean and had a great sea view!

A meal at the onsite 'Patio Bar' was lovely and we couldn't fault it, just the surroundings could have done with a lick of paint. The pool was absolutely grotty. This is a good facility that is being overlooked and is in serious need of a paintbrush if not just a good deep clean. However, my four year old loved it so it wasn't all bad.

Borth itself isn't the best seaside town but we found a great little part of the beach that was sandy and had rockpools which, again, my four year old loved. This was only a five minute walk from the site and with a picnic in tow we spent hours there.

Overall, you get what you pay for and a hundred pounds for five days was not bad at all!

Reviewed May 3, 2011

Hi, We have just come back form Brynowen and although we didnt have any problems I read the reviews on here first and made sure I complained prior to my arrival, I am not fussy by any means but when travelling wioth 2 toddlers I am very conscience of accomodation. I made sure I made them aware that I wouldnt be happy in an overlooked,dirty caravan or any dog hairs!!! To be fair we where up in site 5 where a lot of the owners are situated and our caravan was clean,basic although we had been upgraded I would not have been happy in the basic models near the entrance as they looked horrific!!!!!!! We did not use any of the faciliities instead we went to aberyswyth and took a train ride and basically used the site to sleep and that was it!! Do not go the site is unkept,tired looking and already looks like it needs loads of work doing and the season has just begun. If like me you had already booked when you read this get an email complaint into the site straight away and maybe you can salvage some of your trip like we did!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank crunchie153
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Not having stayed at a caravan park before but needing some cheap accomodation and a base to explore the area we booked a Gold 3 caravan for 3 nights at Brynowen. We were prepared for the worst having read reviews but have to say we were pleasantly surprised. The entrance and lower levels did look pretty grim with tightly packed basic looking caravans but ours was located at the highest point on the site, well spaced from the neighbours and with great views of the sea. The caravan itself looked quite new and was very clean, spacious and furnished to a very high standard and also had central heating. The kitchen was well equipped with a full sized oven, big fridge / freezer and microwave. The bathroom had a double width shower with good water pressure and endless hot water. There was also a 2nd separate toilet - a bonus with a family group sharing. Didn't use any site facilities so cannot comment on them however our 5 year old was very disappointed that the pool had closed at 5 pm and having been out all day had missed the oportunity. Brynnowen was a good option for us only needing somewhere to eat and sleep but I suspect that those staying in the cheaper caravans and wanting to make full use of the facilities were probably quite disappointed. I think also that a car is essential because there isn't really enough to do in Borth.

Room Tip: Book a more expensive caravan
1  Thank Tkette
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Easter hols 2011 - Where to start, I could write a book of complaints about this shambles but I'll stick to the key points. I had only booked it for a base as I knew it would be bad but not that bad.

The pitches don't all accommodate 7 metre caravans. First come first served, we had to use breeze blocks from reception to put our legs on the pitch was so small and sloping.

Toilet block is disgusting. 2 loos' and 1 shower. No privacy cubicles to wash in. Massive hole in the shower curtain. No mop so it's permanently filthy on the shower floor and covered in hair, doesn't seem to get cleaned very often anyway. No hot water at all for 3 days so had to use caravan shower.

Parking is a nightmare, it's virtually impossible to drive around to the pitch while towing. The statics are jammed together with no parking so everyone double parks on the access roads.

The site has a clubhouse (nightmare scenario- full of screaming kids). You can't take dogs in the bars so they get left alone and bark all evening in the other caravans. People coming back from the bar after midnight singing and shouting.

I've toured all over Europe during the last 12 years and this is without doubt the worst site I have ever visited

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 4HappyCampersAndADog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
#6 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 3 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Brynarth Country Guest House
The Pier Hotel
The Pier Hotel
#5 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Llety Ceiro Country Guest House
George Borrow Hotel
George Borrow Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ponterwyd

Been to Brynowen Holiday Park? Share your experiences!