“I flea bitten, rabid dog would catch disease here!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberystwyth
Savannah Guest House
Ranked #34 of 36 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 5, 2013

As we pulled up at the hotel a flash of lightening showed above the hotel, this must have been a warning from the gods!! VILLA BELLA. When booking online you need to specify time of arrival, we stated 12pm. Due to traffic we arrived at 2pm. There was no one answering the door so I had to call the number on the confirmation, the owner advised he didn't realise we were coming so early (he was in fact in bed) and came down to us 10 minutes later. The garden out front was uncared for and overgrown with weeds. When walking into the property the smell was horrendous, stale smoke and dirtiness.

We still handed over our £40 for 1 night and the owner who was only capable of grunting and who looked like the big dude from wrong turn showed to our room. He left us there and we never saw him again.

The carpet throughout and in our room was meant to be blue but was in fact black, if you stamped on it hard enough a vale of dust would spring out from it. There were white bits all over the floor too. The window overlooking the tennis courts was held open by an old coffee can.

We booked a double but the bed was a little bigger than a single with one flat pillow and 1 chunky pillow. There was a bin in the room which was caked with dirt and completely black inside. The mirror was on the floor under the desk and we had a garden chair at the desk. The walls are all white and woodchip. The only place to put the bed was next to a wall so you could only walk one side of the bed.

NOW FOR THE BAD STUFF.......

The shower base was full of black hairs, there was a used bar of soap in the shower. There were black bits all over the sink, the whole bathroom was pure filth. There were 2 pieces of wood around the base of the shower which were hanging off and could be dangerous if you missed your footing getting out the shower. You cannot draw the shower curtain as you really are afraid of it touching your skin. The ceiling although painted white was black and there was damp all around the top of the walls.

To top it all off.....there was someone elses' clothes in the wardrobe.

Thank god we did not book breakfast, there was no way I would trust the owners to cook me food.

Even though im home I can still smell the rottenness of the place and just want to put this awful experience behind me.

I would suggest the place needs a complete refurb, however it would be better to just get demolished. I have come home with bites on me, I can only assume it was from this terrible place.

Room Tip: don't choose any rooms, that's my tip
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank clairelouise1984

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I only wish I had reviewed this place more before booking, and certainly asked to look at our room before handing over the money. We decided after paying and seeing our room and various other rooms not to stay. We found alternative accommodation and returned the keys. This meant that we lost our £80 but did not feel safe there at all. The man who answered the door wasn't the most welcoming, he looked scruffy and I didn't feel very comfortable around him. It doesn't look like the place has ever see a house keeper or anything at all for a very long time. On the way up to our room there seemed to be a lot of unwanted items gathering several inches of dust. There were cracks in the walls all over the place. If we had of stayed i dont think i would of used the shower as it looked like it would fall apart. When i took the keys back i had a more in depth look around the room. I moved the laundry basket to find a pair of boxers that belong to someone else, the window was propted open with an empty gravy tub (at least it was bisto). There was a used soap bar in he bathroom, only one hand towel provided. A pile of dirty paper towels on the dresser. There wasnt any tea and coffee facilities or free wifi, these were both advertised on the website. We were never offered breaskfast but if we had off stayed then i wouldnt of fancied trying it.As we left I noticed an empty wine bottle and what looked like someone had emptied an ash tray by he front door. I feel the website is made up entirely of false advertising. I'm not sure if the proprietors ever read the reviews, but I think they would find it very helpful if they wish to carry on providing a service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kate M
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Not responding to emails, booking went wrong as it was done by third person - on my arrival there was no one answering my knocking/ringing and by the look from the outside, I assumed the place was abandoned long time ago. Fortunately, a neighbor had a number, the owner appeared, mildly drunk, not very pleasant, and I was told that there is no reservation made on my name. The bed was clean, so was the bathroom, but sharing the bathroom with the whole floor is bad enough. 20 p for the night. No usable cups. It was mostly quiet during the night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Blue R
Reviewed June 21, 2013

booked one night,never again,we was showed the room,we thought it was ok as the beds looked clean and we had a bathroom,he asked for the 40 pound right away which we paid,then we looked round,it was horrible,no draw curtains up,they was in a heap on the floor,no hot water,no kettle and just one filthy cup,no bulbs in lamps,i could go on and on,my hsband had a few bites on him next morning,i am not a fussy person but this was beyond a joke

Room Tip: from what i could see,there is not any good rooms,or surely they would have given us a decent one
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yvonnegreatrex
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Arrived to find it locked and unlite. Rang the booking number, which rang through, and through and through until eventually I was diverted through to a taxi number. Taxi turned up, driver let me in after 40 minutes. Shown to room, back of the premeses, 20 watt bulb at best. Went to sleep; on waking, realised the full horror of the dust on the terrible blue carpet (picture of it on here prompted this reveiw) then made the mistake of going to the toilet - no toilet paper. Asking for breakfast (£80 I paid for this via Lastminute.com) seemed to rather upset the taxidriver who had just got in from working all night. Egg not cooked properly. Left

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Billybob27
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I booked a one night stay by phone. I should have trusted my instincts re the person I spoke to prior to arrival as my worse fears were yet to be realised. The overnight accommdation was £25.00 no breakfast - fair enough. However on arrival there were a number of men smoking weed in the main front room (surely illegal in a business premises?). I was shown to my room where the "host" pointed out the best feature was a window and I quote "that can open and close as some people like either". The lock on the door was shoddy and I felt my personal security was at risk. The £25 was demanded up front. I made my excuses, left and never stayed the night.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank ShamrockS24
Reviewed June 10, 2012

As others have said, this place is vile. There were massive cracks in the ceiling of our room & water leaking through them. We had no need to set an alarm, as the water coming through the ceiling from people showering upstairs woke us up! Let me stress - this water was dirty, from the shower drain. There was massive water damage on all the walls and the ceiling, as well as mould. The mould was so bad that it was affecting my normally well controlled asthma.

One of the leaks was directly over an open and exposed electrical socket. The socket casing was actually hanging off, exposing the wires inside. Electricity for the room was instead supplied by a network of dodgy looking extension leads spread across the floor. Equipment was limited to one small kettle (dirty) and one small TV.

Door frames were not complete, and the extractor fan in the bathroom did not come on automatically (or at all) as required by law. There were also holes in the floor, ceiling, and under the shower where they hadn't fitted the pipes properly. This was the source of drafts in the room - at least I hope that it was the drafts moving the cobwebs in these holes.

Clearly they'd not vacuumed the place in quite some time (despite them having been in the room whilst we were out). There was NO maid service at all, and we entered the room to find the last occupant's teabags etc still in the bin. The bin was not emptied during the whole 5 days of our stay. The only staff contribution (other than taking money on the first night) was a cheap roll of toilet paper, supplied just before we ran out.

It was so bad that we called Ceredigion Council's Environmental Health department. They came within an hour & declared the room unsafe. The owner was nowhere to be seen (as he had been since we'd arrived, so we couldn't complain to him). Whilst the gentleman from Environmental Health was there, I showed him around other areas that the owners had left open. There was another shower that was mouldy, and the ceiling in the vestibule between the hall & the kitchen was a rather revolting orange colour, and there were piles of dust around the kitchen (I found one that was actually an inch thick). There were massive cracks in the kitchen ceiling, and plaster hanging off. It was also discoloured and dirty. There was a huge crack in the wall above the back door & there were cracked windows in the front & back.

The whole place reeked of cigarettes, despite there being a sign saying that it was a smoke free zone. What saddens me is that this used to be a beautifully maintained place (I used to know the previous owners). There is something distinctly dodgy about how it's being run - even in small ways like a lack of a hygiene certificate. As soon as I threatened to sue them, a completely different man came to apologise & claim that they thought that work had been completed when it hadn't. In fact, comparing my pictures & the ones from a poster in 2009, it's quite clear that they've known about the problem for a long time, but have done nothing.

I'd advise against going there unless you fancy risking your health.

Room Tip: There are none - we stayed in the highest quality room (family & ensuite), which was too small f...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple