“The very best of Welsh cooking and atmosphere”
Review of Gwesty Cymru

Gwesty Cymru
Ranked #3 of 152 Restaurants in Aberystwyth
Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Award winning seafront restaurant
Cardiff
“The very best of Welsh cooking and atmosphere”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A truly Welsh experience. All the staff are Welsh speaking - ingredients are sourced locally and all menus are bilingual. The menu is compact with daily specials, and I liked the look of everything. The food was superbly cooked and presented and the portions were very generous. It is a small intimate restaurant but also great for small groups - there was a group there celebrating on the evening I ate there.
The staff are welcoming and attentive and they serve local beers in bottles. Customer service and food at its very best - a credit to the town.

• Visited October 2013

Wales
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delightful”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Was treated to lunch here today - chose the patter from which you chose 5 items - absolutely fantastic.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Super Food”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Great food nicely presented. Good value and pleasant surroundings. Staff very attentive. Great location if staying in hotel.

Visited September 2013
Delph, England, United Kingdom
“Besty Gwesty Cymru”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

One of the best meals I have had in a while. I took my son for a last meal before he started at the university so it needed to keep him going!. Lovely food, good service, nice place (you can always tell by the standard of the cloakrooms I feel). Good value for money and northern sized portions. We couldn't manage a pudding which was a shame as they looked good. I would recommend this without hesitation - book in advance.
My only quibble - it was a bit warm inside.

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Consistently excellent”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We have taken several friends there this summer (travelling from East Anglia and Devon) and we have all have enjoyed a really good experience at Gwesty Cymru each time - lovely atmosphere, fabulous food, beautifully presented, with good choices and great value for money. It is one of the few places where I feel encouraged to practise my halting Welsh and they seem really pleased that I just try and have a go - but are equally happy to speak English. The restaurant is small and cosy but tastefully decorated in fresh clean slate accessories, a lovely fireplace lit up with candles at night, and the staff have all been faultlessly friendly and efficient. Diolch yn fawr fel arfer i bawb! We are bringing our next friends one Sunday - having seen a negative review about less good Sunday provision, I do hope we won't be disappointed - but I have confidence that it will be consistently excellent. Although we have been lucky on occasion to get a table after just 'dropping in' for lunch, booking in advance is highly recommended as it is so popular. It's right on the sea front but set back, so you don't really get 'views' from inside, but it is lovely to go for a sunset walk on the prom before or after your meal, depending on the weather and time of year! Best restaurant right in the heart of Aberystwyth town.