“Over priced for what you get.”

Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Burbage, United Kingdom
“Over priced for what you get.”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The good. Friendly staff, good breakfast served quickly, close to the rugby ground, bathroom was clean.
The bad. Wonky lamp shades, 8 different types of tatty flooring, slight wash bin smell in the room, room not turned down or any lighting on so very unwelcoming, even though they knew what time we were checking in, valance sheet not covering the divan, itchy poly cotton sheets, hard pillows , clinical light in the bathroom that made it feel like a Morg. Lacking in atmosphere considering its supposed to be a country pub. We could here our neighbouring rooms tv through thin walls. Tatty outdated furniture in the room, the motorway noise made us have to sleep with the window closed even though it was stuffy.
The ugly. The price, I would accept all of the bad above in a travel lodge for 60-70 pounds but for £130 I would expect more care and attention to the details. The price sets the expectation alot higher than you get in reality. We will not return and we will not recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LCash1234
Michael P, General Manager at Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I'm delighted to hear you received a pleasant welcome from our staff and enjoyed your breakfast

I do understand your comments regarding the rate, however it is within hotel practice to flex the rate and due to high demand and shortage of rooms the rate was high

Having said that if you wish to come back in the future, contact me directly and I will arrange a preferential rate as a gesture of good will

Michael Pique

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I attended a 10 day course at the Pear tree hotel in late January and throughout the stay we were well catered for by the friendly and attentive staff. Beautiful food, great rooms and fantastic facilities made this a top notch venue for our training course and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone.
Many thanks to Nick and his staff team who made our stay more like a home from home.
All the best from all the P.R.I.C.E boys.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you very much for your good comments and for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I visited [from Australia] for a well-attended family wedding and reception. In every respect, from checkin, our acommodation, meals and then throughout the function itself to checkout was handled beautifully. Our room was quiet, at a comfortable temperature, with a good bathroom and appropriate furniture. Abundant parking space was available immediately adjoining the building. A well laid-out bar provided a good spot for socialising for small or larger groups.
Overall the Pear Tree combines the facilities of a modern venue with a good deal of the charm of an old country house. Special mention must be made of the staff; constantly attentive, never intrusive and always good-humoured. We would recommend it strongly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to post those nice comments on Tripadvisor which I have passed on to the Team.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in your next visit.
england
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here on a Groupon offer. The rooms where nice, staff was friendly and the food was great! It was great value for money and we will definitely be back for another stay. The cute Parrot in the bar was an extra little bonus! Loved it!

• Stayed March 2012
Michael P, General Manager at Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Good afternoon,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments on Tripadvisor.
Please contact us again to check on our special deals.
I am looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
salisbury
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Nice,friendly and professional receptionist who made checkig in easy and made us feel welcome.Room on 1st floor at the front,first thing I noticed on entering the room was a stain on one of the chairs and a valance that didn't go to the floor therefore revealing a well worn ripped in places divan bed base,but the room was very clean and had most things except,as my wife pointed out, a full length mirror,a must for most women.
Bathroom was very clean but again a niggle,the shower knob came off in my hand and the ceiling was peeling and dropping paint flakes in to the bath.15 minutes minutes work would have sorted the bathroom out which shouts a lack of attention to detail which is a shame.

Though the weather was cold we like fresh air whilst sleeping so opened the window a few inches but the proximity of the M5 meant a steady hum of traffic all night so ask for a room at the back!

At Breakfast we received a friendly welcome and informed of the choices, we selected our table and I ordered coffee assuming that a pot would arrive whereas the waiter poured it which led to having to catch his eye for a refill and as he spent a lot of time sorting out the detrious of a party held the night before there were few opportunities to catch his or the waitresses eye,the result of the ever present problem of lack of enough staff to do the job.
Another niggle is we don't want "Match of the Day" intruding into our breakfast,I can put up wth the verbose African Grey Parrot that resides close by but not the over excited diatribe of a football commentary!
I ordered a full English which when it arrived was freshly cooked and very nice but again a niggle,it took 25 minutes from ordering to arrival and yet another niggle no sauces,mustard etc. so had to catch waiters eye,request,wait and eventually start a rapidly cooling meal and there were only 3 other guests in the room so it wasn't inordinately busy.Breakfast was included in our room rate which worked out at £10 pp for breakfast as against the £12 if it is not, both sums are over priced for the experience you receive.

Overall a nice stay in a friendly,comfortable,average hotel slightly spoiled by easy to rectify niggles resulting mostly from the usual lack of attention to detail and lack of adequate staff numbers.

Oh and the public area carpet is stomach churningly naff,I know I was in the Pear Tree but I don't need reminding of it at every step!!

Room Tip: Request a room at the back to escape noise from the M5.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank plodus
Michael P, General Manager at Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Good morning,
Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.
We are constantly working on improving our customer service and I thank you for letting me know about your experience with us and my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. We have now redecorated our bathrooms.
We will be delighted to welcoming you again in the near future.
somerset uk
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was a bit worried about the weather conditions and access but all was well. We found the good route for the snow/ice on the way home, through Droitwich. Not many people were venturing out, so the hotel was quiet and on 'tick-over', I think.

The staff were helpful and there were just enough of them. We did not book an evening meal (and I think they were relieved at that). The room was Ok, not as good as previously; it looked a bit bashed about and 'home-made' but it was nice and WARM, which was good. The 'snug' had been rearranged as a dining area which was a bit of a disappointment as we really liked sitting next to the fire there, in the comfy sofas, last year.
Breakfast was good but did not offer the range of last year. I was looking forward to salmon and scarmbled egg, and I was offered 'cooked breakfast'. It was fine. Joey, the parrot was in fine form, very chatty, and probably a bit bored because of the lack of visitors?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Good morning,
Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. I was surprised to read that you were not offered the Smoked Salmon and Scrambled egg for Breakfast as it is on our menu.
Like you rightly said the hotel was quiet due to the poor weather conditions.
Thank you again for staying with us.
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Staffed very friendly and couldn't do enough for us, this hotel is about a twenty minute drive from worcester and is situated in a rural location. The bedroom were of a decent size and so was the bathroom, tea and coffee facilities in the rooms. We had a evening meal which was fairly priced and also breakfast with two options continental or cooked .we were a party of five and we all said we would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
Good afternoon,
Thank you for your lovely comments on Tripadvisor.
I am looking forward to welcoming you in the near future.