“Distinctly average”
Review of Browns at The Quay

Browns at The Quay
Reserve with OpenTable
Browns at The Quay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 362 Restaurants in Worcester
Cuisines: Contemporary, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Set on the beautiful and tranquil setting of the River Severn's South Quay just a stones throw away froml the hectic city life. This spot is an absolute favourite for families and visitors to Worcester alike. At any time of day enjoy relaxing while the children play in the fountains, or feed the swans on the river. Start your day relaxed. Join us for a morning tea or coffee, or get set for the day with a continental style breakfast 11am - 3pm: Want to escape the city buzz for a relaxed lunch? The Quay offers a modern and multicultured variety of choices for a quality lunch. Italian and flat breads, pastas, tapas, and daily specials. 3Pm - 5pm: The traditional english afternoon tea. A selection of teas, cakes, pastries sandwiches and everything you need to enjoy the beautiful River Severn views. 5Pm: Looking to dine out for the evening? Want to treat friends or a loved one? Then book in with us for our evening service. Make a choice from our fresh fish counter, or select from our menu of specials designed by our top team of chefs. Experience the heighst of fine dining and enjoy an exquisite evening. Late: We take you late while you enjoy the sights and sounds of the South Quay. This is a time for a wide ranging choice of cocktails, wines and champagnes, a perfect finish to the day. The Quay also offers a conference room available for corporate events or private hire. With a variety of options, including cocktail making courses, and wine tasting with a selection of the best wines from across the world. We can tailor the experience to your needs. Contact us to discuss your options.
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Without being too critical, the food is pretty average. We were forced to have a the Christmas sharing platter. Beef rump, far too pink and fatty, roast potatoes nice and home cooked but very 'tough' (never had leathery roast potatoes!), wanted plum puddings as per what was on the original menu, but when they came out they were Christmas puddings which none of us wanted.

We were never checked on or asked whether everything was ok with our meal at which we would have highlighted some of these issues.

To be fair, it is a small restaurant, and was extremely busy, the kitchen looked very small and I do genuinely believe all the staff and the chefs were doing their very best. It was just a shame that the food appeared rushed at times. Bar staff were fabulous and strawberry daiquiri is probably the best I have ever had!

Wouldn't say we'd never go back, but we would go as a couple and have a quiet meal after the Christmas period as was very noisy (some of that was probably us too). We would definitely try some of the food off the menus as it all sounded really very nice.

Needs some little bits of refinement, and it doesn't beat Browns next door in terms of look, feel, elegance or food - but it's getting there and it is nice to see a popular restaurant 'thriving'.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I visited The Quay for lunch this week and was pleasantly surprised to find a choice of "bowl food" on the menu. There were two portion sizes and my friend and I chose the large portion Fish Pie and Longdon Lamb Shepherds Pie. It took some time to arrive but that was entirely forgivable as both dishes were piping hot and obviously freshly made. The large portions were great value for £10 each and were absolutely delicious. My deconstructed' Sheoherds Pie was beautifully presented, and the shredded lamb on a bed of lentils, topped with piped creamed potatoes was quite divine. The fish pie portion was so large, my friend could not eat it all.

Service was excellent and attentive, and with a smile!

Worcester needs a good place to eat. The Quay fills that gap.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

In Worcester for my son's graduation and we originally popped in for a coffee. Looking at the menu we had a 3 dish tapas style meal for £10 and were so impressed we went back after the graduation for a main meal. For the smaller dishes we had chicken, lamb and a exceptional cod meal. For mains we had cod and a very well cooked steak. My son also asked when the sweet potato wedges "didn't taste like this at home?". The chef kindly explained what he did to them and we are going to try it ourselves. Coffees and mocha's (£2.50) were also good quality and well made. Lager is available in bottles at around £4 a bottle. It's a lovely setting next to the river great atmosphere inside and reasonable prices. Parking is close by in a pay and display in Copenhagen Street.

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Having visited on Saturday to enjoy a couple of cocktails with a group of friends, we spent about £150 to be told that the bar wouldn't be serving us anything else as their were people who we're eating next to the bar who wanted us to go. We were not drunk or making a fuss but alas the bar staff just stopped. This is typical of the people who also own Bushwakers. They want your money until something better comes along. We went next door to Browns who were great where we spent more money and had a lovely evening. I suggest you do the same.

1  Thank Nick B
Rich878, Manager at Browns at The Quay, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Nick B

I was very suprised to read your review of your visit to The Quay in particular because the last thing you said to me whilst shaking my hand was "sorry, thanks a lot" The reason we politly refused to carry on serving your party was because as you explained to me "had been drinking at the rugby all day" and as a result were very loud with constant use of the F word. There were diners all around you trying to enjoy dinner with friends and family. I was responsible for the service that night and was trying to make sure ALL our customers were having a good time.

Kind regards

Richard Hill

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Had lunch at the quay in the summer with a friend and it was lovely. Had a beautiful smoked salmon salad and we sat outside by the river in the sun so my husband and I decided to have dinner there one evening. It was a real disappointment. My husbands roasted sweet potato was not only charred but was almost cold. My food was average and nothing to write home about. The price did not reflect the quality of the food at all. I shan't be vising here again.