“I Can't Get No Sleep”

Worcester Whitehouse Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed March 26, 2013

On first arrival the Worcester Whitehouse Hotel gives a good impression. The entrance and lounge areas of the ground floor are bright and airy and the staff efficient, friendly and professional. The room looked clean and comfortable and the wi-fi in the room was complimentary, (You just need to request a code).

Then I went to bed.....

My room was facing the main road outside which was particularly noisy with taxi's, trains, revellers going home form the pub and street sweepers at yon time in the morning. The single glazed windows did nothing to keep this noise out and the rather uncomfortable bed did nothing to help. I did not get a wink of sleep the whole night!

One or two other positives are the really good shower and the nice breakfast included. Can't say enough how nice the staff were but the actual hotel was not worth the £75.00 I paid where I could have had a great night's sleep in a premier Inn for less.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the main road
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
RachaelMitchell, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be pleasant and helpful but am sorry that the external noise from the high street marred your sleep. Please be assured that we are looking into a resolution for this issue in order to prevent a recurrence. I hope that it will not deter you from returning and that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for Worcester Whitehouse Hotel

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We attended an AGM and annual dinner held in the hotel and stayed overnight. When we went to our room in the annex, it was very cold as was the weather outside. We turned on the heater to "full" and in a short time our room was very warm indeed. We had a standard room rather than an upgrade. It was a good size room with very comfortable twin beds and all that we needed. We thought we would have problems with the thin quilts but they were surprisingly warm. Could perhaps have used an extra blanket which would have meant the heater could have been turned down somewhat. Our room in the hotel (315) was the nearest to the railway line, and while we saw a couple of trains, we didn't hear one at all.

Our dinner was in a room reserved for us and the menu had been ordered in advance. One can only describe the service as smart and slick (bearing in mind some of the other reviews). The food was hot and good, being well served, plentiful and tasty. We were not rushed, but neither did we have to wait for service, this being closely monitored by a maitre d'. We breakfasted in the same room again with excellent service and a wide range of options. They were happy to bring as much toast and cup refills as we wished. The dishes were kept topped up and available.

All in all (weather excepted) an enjoyable weekend as we had travelled by train to Foregate Street and hopped across the road stright into the hotel. Couldn't have been easier.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
RachaelMitchell, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and will certainly pass your compliments onto the team. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a tale of mixed curates egg...

Room
Our room was well decorated and presented, but was very cold on arrival, and we had to phone down stairs for toilet paper.
During the night we had to cover up the blue flashing light of the TV, and to block the gap between bedroom door and floor to stop light flooding into the room from the hallway. Problems easily solved, and as i am sure we were not the first to experience this "light pollution" problem then why haven't they been solved before?

Dinner
The Friday night's experience in the restaurant was absolutely awful but much better on the subsequent evenings, let down both by the kitchen and waiting staff.
On the Friday evening we ordered a bottle of wine with our meal, but it took 35 minutes to arrive and after making three separate requests for the wine to the same waiter and each time he seemed surprised it hadn't arrived yet. Even though he was the waiter. Ps we also had to ask for butter for the bread.
My wife's plate of fish cake arrived with brown / off lettuce and poor quality new potatoes. All she could eat were the fish cakes. I am surprised the waiter did not inquire to why she had left so much food when he came to clear the plates.
We ordered a bottle of fizzy water, and the glasses arrived without ice in.
When the food was served we weren't asked whether we'd like any accompaniments (ie pepper, sauces etc).
When shown the dessert menu, I asked the waiter what the cheeses were, and he responded that there were three cheeses accompanied with grapes and celery. When I asked again, he said he didn't know as he didn't eat there.
As the meal was so awful on the Friday I did ask reception on the Saturday morning if we could change from DBB to BB rates but the front desk refused as he said changes could only be made up to 6pm prior to checking in. Again, no enquiry was made on why we wished to change rates, just a response that we couldn't, end of. He just didn't want to know.
The subsequent meals and service on the Saturday and Sunday were far superior, with none of the basic school boy errors made. Indeed, the only people to come out with credit is the young waitress on the Saturday and the waiter on the Sunday evening (indeed the waiter on the Sunday was the first to say we had a £21 allowance against the a la cart menu on DBB terms). Why doesn't the hotel use their skills to train up the waiters we endured on the Friday?

We informed the receptionist on check out of the issues, and pleased she did make a note but thought she could have been more pro active in terms of recompense. But. I suppose she has heard it all before!

All in all, a hotel let down by inconsistency and poor service / lack of training from a few key individuals whilst the others and doing there best. Overall, if we hadn't experienced the disastrous Friday night I would have scored a 5. But a score of 2 is more than generous (3 for the disastrous meal less 1 for the response on the Saturday morning but which could have been turned into a plus 1 with better customer care).

Room Tip: Do not book the DBB rate, but rather book the dinner on an evening by evening basis.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am sorry that the levels of service you received on the Friday were not to your expectations nor indeed to our usual high standards. I can assure you that our procedures have been reviewed in order to prevent a recurrence. I was pleased to read however that the service you experienced for the remainder of your stay was to your satisfaction.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Arrived in our original room, was very disappointed. We were at the front of the hotel. This was very noisy outside. There was a door to next door in out room covered by a curtain but you could hear everything that was going on next door. We complained and was moved to another room the opposite end of the hotel. However there was hairs in the bath. Tissue in the wardrobe and a big draft through the windows which resulted in being cold all night as there was no extra blankets. And to top it all off the cleaner walked in early when check out time wasn't until 12. Will not be staying there again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review; I am sorry that your stay was less than satisfactory during your recent visit. Please be assured that I will investigate the points you raised in order to prevent a recurrence.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed here for my sister's birthday and we enjoyed our stay. Although my sister paid extra for a 'suite' which was very old fashioned and dated, our standard double was more spacious and modern. Spa was nice and breakfast good with pleasant staff. We only used the hotel to sleep and breakfast - the pubs and restaurants nearby were great!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are fine, losts of weddings here at peak times. Recommend to groups of friends for a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
RachaelMitchell, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit - I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable visit and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Positive: some very friendly and helpful staff; centrally situated, room large, bed comfortable, good quality flat screen tv, good water pressure, plenty of hot water (despite a notice in reception saying there may be a shortage due to a boiler malfunction), generally clean.

Less positive: £6 per day for parking; £5 per day for wifi; very poor, expensive food in the restaurant (pasta in creamy sauce came minus the sauce, chicory too bitter to eat and drizzled with very poor quality sesame oil, breakfast sausages cheap and tasteless, poor quality coffee); seagulls squawking throughout the night on a chimney pot outside my room in the annexe. (They have placed a fake owl opposite to try and frighten the seagulls away, but as owls don't predate seagulls this doesn't work....)

My major problem however was with the water dripping through the ceiling. It started about 4 am and when I investigated by looking through a strangely placed ceiling hatch it became clear that this was due to poor construction (cold, uninsulated galvanised steel coming through the wall from the outside, meeting warm air from the rooms below and causing condensation which ran to a joint over the hatch above my room. The hotel was clearly aware of this problem as they had placed a washing up bowl above the ceiling next to the hatch to catch the water. This had filled and overflowed. The night porter was very calm, made no attempt to investigate (perhaps because this is a regular occurrence?) and moved me to another room.

Moral: if you want a decent night's sleep; take a catapult with you to deter the seagulls, don't let them give you room 325 in the annexe, or if they do, make sure it's in the summer, when there should be less condensation on the thermal bridge.

Joking aside, I think the management should stop renting that room (and I'm guessing there may well be other rooms similarly affected) until they have rectified the problem. When I suggested this on check-out the receptioist initially denied that the hotel was aware of the problem but fell silent when I mentioned the washing-up bowl.

That they continue to rent this room suggests a lot to me about the management's attitude to its customers, an attitude further evidenced, perhaps, by the wifi and parking charges and the poor quality, poorly prepared, over-priced food. In the service industry the customer should be king, not a cash cow....

Room Tip: Don't let them giive you room 325!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
RachaelMitchell, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit. I apologise that some aspects of your stay did not meet with your expectations; please be assured that I have passed your comments regarding the quality of the food onto the Head Chef so that he can take the required action in order to prevent a recurrence. With regards to the other comments you made, I am sorry that you felt you could not discuss them with myself or the Deputy Manager whilst you were here. Had you taken the time to do this, we would have provided explanations for the issues you encountered.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We spent a weekend at the Whitehouse and overall we had a very satisfactory stay. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was at the front of the hotel, which we were initially worried about, but the hotel has double glazing and we experienced no problems with outside noise (my wife is a light sleeper). The shower was brilliant, powerful and there was plenty of hot water. Cleanliness was good. The only negative point is the quality of the food, although perfectly edible, we felt it let the hotel down a bit. We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, location is very good for exploring the city and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
RachaelMitchell, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay, finding the staff and facilities to a high standard. I am sorry however that the food did not meet with your expectations; please be assured that I will speak to the Head Chef accordingly. I note that this will not deter you from returning and look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.