“Great location if a tad noisy”

Worcester Whitehouse Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Great location if a tad noisy”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Right next door to Worcester Foregate station this is a basic but comfortable business travel destination. Rooms were larger than expected and breakfast and service were very good. While I had no issues with noise a colleague said her room had traffic noise as it was at the front of the hotel. Bathrooms were a little tired. Overall the convenience of the location far outweighs any minor quibbles

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Christine H
GeneralManager57, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I was pleased to read that on the whole you had an enjoyable experience but am sorry that your colleague was disturbed by noise. I noted your comment with regards to the bathroom and am pleased to say that we are in the midst of a programme of redecoration of these areas. Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and I hope that I have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Polish first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Travelling alone is not easy when you have lost a partener and the Whitehouse staff were was so friendly and efficient it made the stay very pleasant and certainly made me think about staying there and exploring the wonderful country side or the town, rather than going abroad. I did have a problem in the room I wasallocated and I was moved and upgraded without a problem. The dinning staff were great and service efficient despite the fact they had several parties of people there, It was suggested that I sat a little way away from the tables in case of the noise. Breakfast was great, no greasy soggy bacon it was hot and well coked and plenty of buffet type choices.. Evening meal was fine and the cost would compare favourable with local hotels in Kent perhaps they could add a couple more modern choices to the menu. The rooms are very well eqiped Being in central Worcster it is easy to visit places of interest in the city on foot. I didn't hear any seagulls and although the hotel is near the station you don't hear trains.
The leisure staff are very helpful but the leisure centre could do with some paint and a face lift. Please coould a spinner for wet costumes be installed ? Charges for car parking are being introduced, being disabled it was good to have a sapce reserved, but that will also carry a charge but I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank just0ne
GeneralManager57, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
I was delighted to read your review of the hotel and to see that you enjoyed your stay; I will certainly pass your comments onto the team. I note your feedback about the leisure club and am pleased to advise you that it is on our maintenance schedule for redecoration within the next two months. I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on your next visit to Worcester.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Had a lovely weekend with two friends. Enjoyed the sauna and Pool but would be nice to have dressing gown available and more towels. Staff very helpful and friendly. great location just a step away from shops and restaurants. If I go again I will take a catapult to kill those .......seagulls, they were really awful so noisy all night and I am not a light sleeper. Apart from that room comfortable and delicious breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank hollybank235
I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I was sorry to read however, that your sleep was marred by the noise of the seagulls. I have been assured by the local authority that there are plans in place to erradicate this issue. Thank you for taking the time to 'post' your feedback and I hope that I have the opportunity of welcoming you back sometime in the future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2011

This is the seventth time I have stayed in this hotel, paid for by my business. Rooms are clean and well equipped and breakfast copious. However, I am always told the air conditioning is waiting to be fixed. As the windows cannot be opened, the electric fan provided is not really efficient enough to remedy the airless feel of the rooms. It is worse in summer when the heat is very uncomfortable.
Another problem is the noise guests make in the bar past the hour of 11 pm (by law, the premises should be quiet during night time hours of 11 pm to 7 am). A rowdy party stayed in the bar well past 1 am during my overnight stay and continued to show complete disregard towards hotel guests in spite of being asked to keep the noise down by staff. My room overlooked the foyer area with the consequence that I could only get to sleep WHEN the revellers decided to go up to their rooms. I had to attend an important business meeting the next morning and felt very tired and unwell as a result. Staff need to be trained in being more assertive to tackle this kind of anti social behaviour. Not the standard of a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Not overlooking the foyer
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Poudreuse
Thank you for taking the time to respond with your feedback. I apologise for the lack of air conditioning in the bedrooms and I can assure you that the problem is being investigated with a view to rectifying the situation. Unfortunately, this is not as straightforward as it would seem and is taking longer than originally anticipated. I am also sorry that you were inconvenienced by some of our other residents and had a disturbed sleep. I note that you have stayed with us on several occasions and do hope that you will give us the opportunity of a return visit when we will endeavour to ensure that your stay is not disturbed.
Maidenhead
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I recently stayed at the Hotel, having watched Middlesex play worcester (cricket) with friends, 3 rooms were booked in total. We stayed in the old part of the hotel. The room was large with a comfortable bed although the pillows needed replacing with some comfortable ones. The breakfast was exceptional with very attentive staff, who supplied extra tea toast etc, without having to be asked twice. The bathroom just needed to have a little face lift and remove the old fashioned shower curtain! On the whole a very frindly well run hotel. (Room 303)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Crystal60
GeneralManager57, General Manager at Worcester Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to 'post' your feedback; I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I have spoken to the Head Housekeeper regarding your comments about the pillows and shower curtains so that these can be replaced accordingly. I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion.
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2011

we loved everything about this hotel\, the staff were very welcoming and the location is fantastic. if we have one complaint it would be the seagulls!!!!! which we know is beyond the hotels conrtol.

Room Tip: if you like history go to the commandery
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sarah_pate1
I was delighted to read the comments regarding your recent stay and will certainly let the staff know that you had an enjoyable visit. Unfortunately, despite numerous internal procedures to minimise the disturbance from the seagulls, they do seem partial to the city but hopefully their numbers will diminish over time with the control methods in place. Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback and I look forward of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed April 27, 2011

We recently returned from a 3 night Easter break at this hotel.Our room was on the first floor in the rear portion of the hotel, which I believe is the newer part so can't comment on any of the older rooms. The bedroom and bathroom were bright, modern and spotless with all the usual requisites;no fault to be found. My only comment is that there is no air conditioning in the rooms and some parts of the hotel. A need to leave the window open in warm weather is foiled by the following;-

Whilst the bed was extremelt comfortable, I'm afraid that we got little sleep because of the seagulls!!! This is no joke, I'm not talking about a few distant cries of gulls at the seaside. it's like having a huge gaggle of geese marching up and down outside your window all night, making the most awful cackling noise. I presume it's nesting season and the birds are on the roof above. it's worst at about 4 in the morning...don't these damn birds ever sleep?? I understand this is a citywide problem, but nevertheless don't bank on getting a good night's sleep if you are a light sleeper!!!

If there was any street noise outside as mentioned by other reviewers, we didn't hear it because of the birds!

We ate in the restaurant on one night and the food was delicious. it would be too expensive to eat there all the time but I can recommend it. Breakfast was similarly good with plenty of choice of hot and cold food. The restaurant and bar staff were all delightful as were all the other staff we spoke to. all very pleasant and helpful.

We used allthe leisure facilities which were compact but clean and probably standard fare for a city centre hotel of this type. my only complaint was that the pool shut early on the Sunday even though it was a bank holiday weekend and most people would have been staying an extra night. After a long day hiking in the hills I was looking forward to a dip!

The hotel is right in the city centre, which might put some people off, but we thoght it was ideal. Parking in the hotel car park was not aproblem at all whilst we were there.

I would recomment staying at this hotel, if only they could do something about the gulls!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
I ws pleased to read that you enjoyed your visist to the hotel and found the staff and the facilities met with your requirements. I will certainly advise them of your kind comments. I am sorry however, that your stay was somewhat marred by the seagulls in the city and can assure you that this issue has been raised with the local authority. They in turn have advised me that they have long term control procedures in place in order to reduce the numbers in the city which in turn will reduce the disturbance they cause.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and I hope that I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.