“Enjoyable break”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Worcester
Great Western Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Although this is a old Hotel we had a most pleasent stay. It is in walking distance of Worcester City Centre, handy for the train. Room was clean and tidy bathroom was very nice and spotlessly clean. Overall we enjoyed our stay we had a loverly breakfast, included in the price. This Hotel makes a change from the usual hotel chains which are all the same.We will stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 18, 2011

Although housed in a magnificent building and the front desk seemed friendly enough this hotel is very very disappointing. Inside it is very tired looking but what is more concerning is the poor level of cleanliness throughout. It is very musty (you sense it was previously a smoking establishment) and dusty - you know the type of place you wouldn't like to walk bare foot in the rooms. There were hairs on the side table and even in my breakfast bowl. My mattress gave me a hard Thai massage throughout the night given the springs were poking in my back. I was served a full English breakfast (having not requested it!) and to top it all the greasy swill was lined with dodgy looking sausage, black pudding and anaemic bacon. Problem is I'm a vegetarian - still I guess it is the thought that counts. No chance of decent coffee, you'll have to make do with the freeze dried variety and full fat milk or nothing on your cereals (yuck). All this left me checking out at the soonest available opportunity and heading for the city for fresh air and breakfast. Sorry but I'd definitely give this place a miss.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank senojmit
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We were going to a wedding close by and this was chosen by one of our party as it was thought it would be reasonably close to Spetchley. It is in the middle of an industrial estate and as such thought the tarriff for the rooms was a bit overpriced. It has a nice lounge but the rooms themselves are rather small and stuffy. The bathrooms appear to have been renovated recently but the workman ship was poor as another couple also complained about the shower head falling off the same as ours. The mattress felt like it should have been replaced as the springs felt worn. The breakfast was overpriced for what it was (£7.50) and was one of the most greasy full english I have ever had with cheap bacon and sausages. If it was included in the tarriff then I would probably have been less picky. I felt the service was a bit funny in that you had to decide the night before if you wanted breakfast or not so the right amount was defrosted overnight and paid at the time of registering. Obviously people must leave disappointed at the hefty price of the room for what you get. At 60 pounds a double I feel a premier inn would be nicer. We were in a party of 8 people and thought it was a bit rude of the receptionist to keep telling us that one member of our party had his card declined. It was embarassing for that person and surely a message left under his door would have been more appropriate rather than telling us. I would say the rooms were clean and it would be worth looking at if all other options are gone but there will be plenty of nicer hotels for the same price

Reviewed August 29, 2010

Went to Worcester for the weekend and had problem getting in anywhere decent and so booked the Great Western with some trepidation and how right we were. You arrive into the run down industrial part of Worcester and whilst convenient for walking into Worcester it's not the area any normal person would frequent at night. When we pulled into the car park we were having strong second thoughts but decided we could make do for one night. The room was very basic and like other have said the bed linen was aweful. The bed was very uncomfortable and has some sort of plastic undersheet which made it even worse.
The bathroom looked fairly new and was clean and initial impressions were good. However the next morning I realised that impressions can be deceptive. I'm not sure what idiot put the shower in but put the smallest shower tray possible in and then plumbed in an external mixer unit so whilst you stuggled for room anyway you had the joy of continually banging your arms on the mixer unit. To cap it all moving the shower head on the rail caused the rail to fall off and the chrome shower head piping to come apart from the joints and expose the inner rubber pipe. Whilst I could have dealt with all of that the icing on the cake was that there was no water pressure and it was very difficult to get wet. In the end I gave up and my wife just didn't bother. Complete disaster. Didn't stay for breakfast was just pleased to leave.

Reviewed August 18, 2010

Hotel looked a bit grim from outside but we were greeted by a very friendly manager Richard so that made us feel a bit better. We were given our room key and went up and were very disappointed at what we saw. Bed was very badly made sheets not tucked in odd pillowcases and an old cover thrown over did not look very inviting. I sat on the bed and to my horror saw toenails on the floor by the dressing table also lots of hair the carpet hadn't seen a hoover for quite some time there was thick dust in the room and the windows were filthy. The tray had dust and crumbs still left on it. I asked the management to look at the room as we were not satisfied with the clenliness of it. They did and seemed embarrased at what they saw so offered us a different room. I asked to see it first. they were gone a fair while which i took that they were checking our new room to make sure it was up to standard but when they took us to the new room it was just as bad. We were disgusted. this hotel does not deserve any stars unless they do something about the clenliness. They said they had been off for two days so they didnt realise but the dust on that carpet didnt arrive there from not hoovering for two days! The corridors and stairs all looked like they needed a good hoovering too. My tip would be to get new housekeepers and maybe they would get more business. We got our money back but it spoilt our night away as other hotels were full due to the racing. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless you are REALLY desperate.

1  Thank racegoer69
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Stopped here for two nights, the manager greeted us at the door and was very polite and couldn't have made us feel more welcome. The room was spacious,clean and did the job for us, the hotel wasn't fully booked up so it made for a nice, quiet and peaceful stay. Breakfast was an extra £7.50 per person and was worth every penny, it certainly set me up for the day and i'm a big eater. Overall good hotel for the money, excellent car parking (secured at night), helpful and pleasant staff, brilliant breakfast, great location for walking to the city centre and recommended for people looking for a good base to explore the city.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2009

We arrived here at 10am and the Manager very kindly allowed us to leave the car in the car park whilst we went into town. We were concerned as the hotel looked a little dingy and in need of some paint. We returned at 4pm and were then told that there was no cooked breakfast just continental but the Manager advised where there was a cafe and offered to knock it off the bill. Then he gave us the key to our room and whne we got to it we found that the bed was unmade.....that is someone had got out of it and the sheets had not been changed. There were dirty coffee cups and stuff in the bins. I could not believe that the Manager had sent us to this room and that the maid had not had time to clean it in the 6 hours we had been in town ! Needless to say we walked out.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple