“better than i was expecting”
Review of Ye Olde Talbot

Ye Olde Talbot
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed October 22, 2008

I booked to stay for 1 night at Ye Olde Talbot and then went onto trip advisor .after reading the reviews i was in 2 minds whether to cancel my reservation but I did stay and i'm glad i did. The room was a big double room and the power shower was brilliant definately woke me up in the morning!

I ate in the bistro and was surprised at how busy the bar and bistro were it is obviously a popular choice I had one of the stone baked pizzas which was amazing

GOOD POINTS- All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, big room, great shower

BAD POINTS- The room was a bit noisy but then again it is city centre

Overall I had a good stay and am glad I didn't cancel the room.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Ye Olde Talbot

Reviewed September 28, 2008

If you can stomach the instant coffee deceitfully served in cafetieres, then you'll find the breakfast is the best part of the experience here.

The hotel room was clean, but the rest of the hotel was grubby and poorly decorated with a horrible musty smell throughout.

Most of the staff were appallingly rude and unhelpful. Without even a "thank you," or "hope you enjoyed your stay" on the way out: evidently they hadn't expected us to. The three overweight girls at the desk continued their conversation with little time for us.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oliald
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We arrived in Worcester just after lunch and was intending on going the races in the evening so we were looking for 1 nights stay. Unfortuantely for us Ye Olde Talbot was the only hotel left in Worcester with availabiltiy (Very surprised how busy Worcester is). We telephoned first about the reservation and was informed the rate was £90 per night ( more than we wanted to pay but seen as it was the only room left we were willing to pay it). On arriving I was shocked how dirty the communal areas were not just walls that needed repainting but also wood work that obviously hadnt seen water for a while. Our room was a decent size but again dirty the net curtains were black the bathroom was dirty and although I realise the building is old there were large cracks in the walls and vanity units. The toilet moved when you sat on it and it did not flush properly. Overall I felt we had been charged a lot for the accommodation. On the evening we drank in the pub which was a nice atmosphere. Advertised in the pub on black board was the room rates Singles £55 and doubles £70, when I asked the following morning why we were not charged the amount advertised I was informed we had had the last room and they pretty much charge what they want when they know other hotels are full !! Disgraceful way to treat customers. I would not return and would definately not recommend this hotel simply because othe the attitude to their customers!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nan220607
Reviewed June 27, 2008

A colleague and I stayed here for two nights with when working in Worcester. We booked this place as most other hotels in the locality were full, and we actually got the last two rooms here. Worcester is surprisingly busy.

The 'Ye Olde' aspect of the name is misleading, as its actually an ugly 60s building rather than a pretty timber structure as found up a few doors up. However, decor is certainly old and the place is in need of a renovation.

The room was adequate, seemed clean enough, and the shower temperature was fine (although water pressure fluctuated constantly). The room also has cable tv therefore a reasonable choice of channels with decent reception. Breakfast was ok too, although I've had better.

Problems include:

- pub is sandwiched between two roads, and the room does suffer from some noise

- room and bathroom are dated in terms of decor

- there was a sofa bed in my room although I was reluctant to sit on it and certainly would not want to sleep in it

- no laundry service. I had to iron my own shirt (!!), with reception informing me they were unable to send this offsite to be done.

- no wireless internet, although I think you could dial up via a telephone line (slow, expensive - as I say, this hotel is dated)

In summary, look elsewhere first but don't be too scared if this is the only place available as whilst it's not very good, it's ok for a couple of nights max. That said, it does seem to have a decent reputation as a pub (although we found better nearby) so pop in for a drink by all means!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bucko_globetrotters
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Fine for a cheap city centre break, but very faded around the edges. I enjoyed having copious hot water and the staff were very helpful (apart from the waitress at breakfast who always seemed harassed). The bar had a very good atmosphere which has been discovered by the locals – an amazing range from teens to pensioners. The food was pretty good, through the menu is rather limited. They do have a pizza oven and offer some nice selections. The corridors and public areas are very dark and faded and the rooms could do with a re-vamp, though they do have everything you want. They could also do with a deep clean, but the beds were spotless. There is some outside noise – it is in the city centre – but for convenience there is a cinema dead opposite and the cathedral is two minute’s walk away as is the main shopping area. Value for money is excellent and there are internet deals that make it even better.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Don’t book the four poster room!
Booked for one night - glad we werent staying any longer.
Wasn’t as charming as I hoped it would be for the extra money!
Road outside was noisy the room was hot and small.
Bathroom was nice, could have been a little cleaner.
The hotel its self, was a bit dated, the door to which you go to the main part of the hotel from reception was boarded up.
We didn’t eat at the hotel/bar/pub as we only stayed for one night and I wanted to go somewhere a little more special.
I don’t think I would book and stay here again and to be honest I don’t think I would recommend it either.
I don’t know what the other rooms were like so they might have been better!?

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bunty24Devon
Reviewed July 28, 2007

My partner and I wanted to go somewhere for the weekend, where we wouldn't need to drive much, where we could have a few beers, lots of choice for food, things to see and a bit of shopping. Worcester was perfect and this pub/hotel/bistro was ideal.

Good points - excellent beers, really nice food, ample breakfast, central location, power shower, lots of tea and coffee in the room.

Bad points - no car park (stay in the NCP at reduced rate), ground floor room noisy as hell, pub was very busy and loud, outside areas could do with a spruce up.

Planning on going back for a cheap as chips weekend of chilling, eating and beering! Grand.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple