“Quaint, affordable, recommended.”
Review of Ye Olde Talbot

Ye Olde Talbot
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Great location close to the cathedral and the city center. The hotel is a typical old English hotel, meaning the layout is unconventional, and a bit "up and down". This wasn't an issue for us, but I think the disabled or those who cannot handle steep stairs will not be happy. The rooms are small, (cosy), but clean, tidy and well maintained.
The staff are friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good, all this for less than the Travelodge. I think you won't find a better deal in Worcester. Recommended.

Room Tip: The inside rooms, not facing the street are very quiet, but no view of course.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, we always appreciate all your feedback at Old English Inns and constantly work hard to deliver service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Inns soon.

There are newer reviews for Ye Olde Talbot

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed in this Greene King chain hotel for a couple of nights in September 2012. The hotel is a strange construction, being partly an old 13th - 18th century inn, embedded into a 1970s concrete shopping centre and multi-storey car park. It seems that most of the 30 rooms are in the new section, and looked to be up to modern mid-range hotel standards.

My room was in the old part, and was a quirky little single room, with a partly sloping floor, but it had a bath, which is important for me. The room was directly above the bar, and could be accessed directly from the bar by a flight of stairs.

I thought that the service was pretty good for an "inn" (as opposed to a dedicated hotel). There is a proper reception, and the staff were all very polite and helpful. Breakfast was unexpectedly good - nice full English with perfectly cooked poached eggs. My only negative comment would be that the single member of serving staff at breakfast was having a bit of a problem keeping-up with clearing the tables and replenishing the buffet items. However, she was concentrating on taking order and serving breakfasts, and I was impressed by the fact she noted the room number from my key on the table, had looked-up the register and addressed me by my name from then on.

I ate in the bar on one night, and was equally impressed by the quality of the food then (see separate review).

There does not seem to be a huge selection of hotels in Worcester, and this was not particularly cheap (£52/night), but I'm happy I stayed here, and would do so again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1, which is a single room in the old part of the hotel and can only be accessed by...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. At Old English Inns we really value every one of our customer’s comments. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Old English Inns in the future.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

After reading reviews before I went I was quite apprehensive, but afterwards I realised I needn't have worried! It is a lovely, clean, comfortable place to stay, right in the centre of town near shops, restaurants & the river, where we had a lovely walk in the morning sunshine! Fair enough the windows could do with being double glazed, but I was so tired I didn't notice any noise for long! Breakfast was lovely & there was no problem when asking for extra tea & toast! Overall a pleasant & comfortable experience.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a room away from the street if possible.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Friendly staff and very reasonably priced. Odd smell in reception, candid assessment of the room we had booked - too hot though the room we eventually got was warm to say the least. Breakfast kippers micro waved and poorly cooked though the poached egs on toast good. Breakfast spoiled a bit by flies on the fruit salad.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Ye Olde Talbot. We are not sure what the smell was in reception but have had reception deep cleaned. As for breakfast we can only apologise as it does not reflect our high standards. We are awaiting on contractors to come out to box and insulate the hot water pipes in all the rooms which will hopefully resolve the issue of warm rooms. Once again we apologise for the problems that arose during your stay and we thank you for your feedback

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have been here some time for my work trip and it has been always nice to stay here. if you are visiting the town for work i can suggest to stay here also because is not very expensive. There is a parking front of the hotel that is also not very expensive (don't park in the other near the Cathedral because is very expensive for like 30 minutes one time i spend £5).

Room Tip: Staff is very nice and gentle. The breakfast is good, the restaurant is also good. Very good positio...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Hotel staff are very friendly but a shortage of staff means they are too busy to be able to do their job efficiently. Alot of waiting around for drinks and food orders to be taken. The breakfast was served up cold but no member of staff available to speak to due to having too many jobs on the to do list. Great hotel if you are visiting for work but not very good if you are on holiday and want a good sleep. Rooms close to the road and it's very noisy, no air conditioning and you aren't able to open windows due to the road noise.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Clevern
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights on the 24th and 25th August. From the outset the staff were professional and friendly. The chap who initially checked us in was very informative of both the Hotel facilites and the local area.
The Cathedral Plaza Car Park is adjacent to the hotel. Retain your entry ticket until checkout from the hotel and you will receive a 50% reduction for parking charges. ( £6.30 per 24 hour period )
We were allocated Room 22 which is on the first floor overlooking Friar Street. The room was spacious, clean with a wall mounted flat screen TV. The power of the over bath shower was excellent.
My only criticism of the room in fact my stay overall is that there is no voille or net at the bedroom window which results in no privacy unless the curtains are fully closed. ( Rooms 20 - 22 all have this aspect )
Breakfast was as usual at Old English Inns of great quality and the service very efficient.
Due to the weather forcast we planned to eat in the hotel restaurant. The sirloin steaks were cooked to perfection and overall the other food we ate was great and served efficiently with a smile by Maggie.
Table tip - Don't have table number 1. It's a cramped table for 2 but by the kitchen access and cash till for the restaurant.
We would definitely stay here again when in Worcester.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple