“Wonderful stay”
Review of Fownes Hotel

Fownes Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We recently stayed here for four nights as part of a reunion weekend. Apart from a couple of small niggles, such as inflexibility of check in, it's after 2 and that's the way it is! And the high charge for wifi, couldn't bring myself to pay it, so just walked into town where almost everywhere has free wifi.
The rest of the hotel was all positives. The rooms are great, very large, clean and well maintained. Tissues, soap, shampoo and bath gel all prodided as well as tea and coffee making facilities. The beds were large and very comfortable. The food was great! We had a buffet on the Sunday and it was amazing. The hotel is very central, once the car was parked it didn't move for four days and we walked everywhere, The city is beautiful, very old in parts. The cathedral is worth a visit and there is a lovely walk by the river.
The staff were friendly and bearing in mind there were over 80 of us partying all weekend, very patient and cheerful. The hotel manager was always around and very helpful and approachable. Would thoroughly recommend, I don't understand the bad reviews. Some people must be very hard to please.

Room Tip: We were in room 208, away from the road and very quiet as at the end of the corridor. It has five wi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Its a centrally located interesting building which was a glove making factory in the past.
My room was spacious and the bathroom clean. The hairdryer was some ancient wall mounted device that looked fit to blow so bring your own.

On the Friday night the fire alarm went off once at 1.00am and again at 5.00 am - both times setting off a siren inside the room which was as loud as a foghorn going off next to your ear.
No one apologised in the morning or said what had happened - on asking I was told someone had smoked in their room and would be fined £50. Great - maybe they should have paid that to everyone who got very little sleep. On the Saturday night there was a wedding which was fine until really late when there was shouting and car horns going for about an hour after midnight outside my window.

So although the hotel was ok I got very little sleep and since the purpose of the visit was for work that wasn't really good. Also no free wifi is not good for business.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stay in Worcester once a week for work purposes and it was only by chance that i istayed at the Fownes Hotel, Well wont be staying anywhere else from now.
What an enjoyable stay, Friendly and welcoming staff, I had dinner in the restaurant and i must say food was wow... Breakfast good selection served buffet style.
Reception area alittle tired but my bedroom was clean and very spacious.Good value for money with free carparking thrown in.
I was alittle suprised there was a charge for wifi but even so it was only £5.00 for 24 hours so this wont be detiring me to return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed in the hotel as was having a work night out in the city and the service that I received was first class! The hotel is fantastic value for money, with wonderful spacious rooms and everything that you could need!
I had booked a double room, but get upgraded me to the Stewart Suite (had a separate living room, two toilets and a jacuzzi!!) which was fantastic and very very much appreciated!
The best was ridiculously comfortable, I pretty much passed out (could have been the alcohol?!), one of the comfiest beds I've slept in.
The reception staff were so lovely and friendly and polite - I cannot believe some of the reviews I've read on here.
Breakfast was great too, wonderful selection to choose from, in a nice clean dining room.
The outside decking area is beautiful.
As you can tell, I really enjoyed my stay here and I would recommend to anyone. An excellent experience. Thank you to everyone!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Pathetic excuse for an hotel!!!

Fawlty Towers 5 stars compared to this place!

Asked for a place with a view!!! Well, we got one!!! We got a view on the roof next door!! The receptionist said "we didn't ask for one"!!!! Lol. They were only "half full" so surely they allocate the best rooms available then to impress the guests???

We were told we would have free wi fi but they insisted that we pay £ 5.95 per day!!!!

The manager (phoned at home!) said they couldn't waive this!!!! Well, for £ 5.95, they lost a customer as we walked out!!!

They asked us if we would like to take diner!!! Hahaha. Another guest came to reception complaining that there was nobody attending the bar and the restaurant was in darkness!!! They then advised that there was no main menu available but only the bar menu!!! The hotel was supposed to be half full!!!

On Booking.com, it stated no rooms available yet the hotel was only half full!!!!

I can foresee a problem getting our money back!!!

This place is the first in 40 years that we have walked out of!!!!! STAY AWAY!!!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eyeinthesky9999999
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed here last Friday - I was concerned as the reviews were not great - however it was easy to book and within easy reach of the town centre. I arrived parked up no problems - checked in, a bit shocked that they don't have free wifi ! I entered my car registration which enabled me to have free 24hr parking (which was great knowing I intended to shop the next day) My room was a little rough around the edges but the bed was very comfy , bathroom ok needs modernising the fire alarm going off at 5.30am was a bit of a shocker !. To sumarise although expensive it as ok and I would stay there again - the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel took an unauthorised amount from my payment card AFTER I had settled the bill and checked out. Two weeks later and two phone calls, I am still waiting for a refund for what was clearly an incorrect charge.....they can't even be bothered to rectify the situation !!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple