“Fownes Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Worcester
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Fownes Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Lovely hotel, excellent location for the Town Centre with ample parking, good spacious rooms, although the bathroom suites aer in need of a bit of updating the staff are both helpful and friendly. Choice at breakfast buffet is satisfactory, although the bacon a bit tough. All in all great value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Not the best introduction to a new hotel. Anyway, we were asked to ‘take a seat’ while the receptionist consulted the manager. After a few minutes she just asked, ‘do you want to upgrade to breakfast?’ - so WE DID have a room then (???). No apology, just a diatribe about their ‘funny computers’ which was not reassuring as my very next task was to type my registration number into this 'funny computer' of theirs - having been warned that if I made a single error I could be clamped and fined £100!! Well, I can only hope that I entered this information correctly as I had no guidance as to what menu buttons to press afterwards: hey ho ... but you know where they can stick their fine if I DID do something wrong!!

Right then, back to the review of this former glove factory turned hotel. We got to our room and found it was not ready: dirty sheets, used glasses, litter, etc. Not the best introduction to a new hotel (I’m getting déjà vu). Anyway, this time we DID get an apology, and the mess was cleared by the time we got back after dinner. As for the room, it was very stuffy despite the fan; we had to leave it on all night with the windows wide open, which tended to enhance the sound of some local woman screaming at her partner in the early-hours - fair play to the wedding party though, they were silent!

The double bed was pretty small and not very comfy either. The toilet was un-flushable too (SEE VIDEO!). After all this though, I do quite like the look of the place, and would give it a second (or is that third) chance. But if I DO get a £100 fine in the post, they are going to wish they were still knitting mittens!!! (I'll keep you posted)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sidney T
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at Fownes hotel for my friends' wedding, they were very friendly and welcoming and accommodated all of our needs. They provided a large room for the wedding party to get ready in and allowed us to take breakfast to the room on the day which was great. The breakfast was really tasty and a good range, nice and hot and fresh. The standard rooms were a good size with comfy beds. A little noisy as my room was above the reception doors leading to the restaurant and bar but all quiet by midnight. The only downside is that the hotel is out of date when it comes to the décor, but that's not a major issue as it is kept really clean. Overall a bit pricey, in my opinion, but a positive experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here twice now, because everywhere else was booked up. The first time we were put in a room with white linen curtains, not good if you want to sleep past 6am. The second stay we waited about 10 minutes on the front desk before someone arrived, no apology. Our room was better this time, but so unbareably hot. The toilet didn't flush properly, we had to quickly pull the flush several times to get it working. The floor made an awful creaking noise, it was so loud. This hotel is so overpriced, there are much nicer ones around that you can get at nearly half the price.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank LaFaye90
Broadway, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Passing through Worcester we decided to stop by and ask for a brochure and tariff. One receptionist was busy and the other just ignored us! When we finally got her attention and asked for a brochure and tariff she looked at us blankly as if we had asked for two camels and a stable for the night! They don't have a brochure and the tariff changes day to day! Very very strange! We were going to stay for tea but we made a quick exit and we promise never to darken their doors again!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bradders57

Travelers are raving about these Worcester hotels

Worcestershire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a 3 star hotel, well placed to the city centre, whatever you do if your driving register your vehicle on arrival or face £100 fine.
Our room was fine, decent sleep quality and shower. Always annoyed when you have to pay these days to use wifi as you do here.
What disappointed me was the breakfast it's always pot luck with help yourself how long the foods been under the lights for and we were at the wrong time I am afraid.
The orange juice was I think the weakest I have ever tasted.
I accept its a 3 star and other than the breakfast I would have rated this as a good as its very clean polite staff in a good location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rotherham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here for one night to attend early meeting in the area next day. Hotel, although in a good location, was very tired and in need of renovation. Staff were very helpful. Rooms are larger than standard but as I had booked a single room it contained a single bed which was not the most comfortable thing I had ever slept on. Breakfast was absolutely dire, cold food which looked as though it could have been there for hours, all in all not a good experience. The cost of £69.00 per night was not value for what was and feel that there are better value hotels nearby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business