Fownes Hotel
The Crown(Worcester)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsglove factorybuffet breakfastplenty of hot watervisiting worcesterstayed one nightworcester city centreyogurtcathedralpubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I really don't know where to begin! Having traveled extensively I can honestly say I have never stayed in such an appalling hotel as the Fownes in Worcester. I was in Worcester for a week long training course with exam on the Friday morning. Right from the start I should have known things would not go well at this hotel (previously a glove factory). I was met with a receptionist who had the most awful and miserable manner. Things got progressively worse when I was asked to put £500 on my credit card to pay for the week long accommodation which was already paid for by the travel Company we use. This request persisted for 2 days until I had to sort it out with the Travel Company direct. My room was freezing cold which matched the freezing temperatures outside. My room had 3 huge factory windows which were so draughty the net curtains were blowing freely despite the windows being closed! The radiator was freezing cold and the manager had to come up to sort it. My bathroom was also extremely cold having another large draughty factory window in it. The bathroom towel rail (only form of heating) would only half heat up! The hairdryer in the bathroom is positively ancient - bring your own. I booked a double bedroom (expecting a double bed) but was given 3 x single beds!!! On the Wednesday night I was woken up at 2.30am but the people in the room upstairs crashing around moving their furniture about!!! The next night was worse with 2 ladies having moved into the room above me who decided that from 7.00pm onwards they were going to have a party. Amongst other things I was subjected to their horrendous rendition of "I'm in the mood for dancing". Reception said they would ask them to stop. Finally at 9.00pm I complained to Reception again who did actually phone the ladies who apologised, were quiet for 30 mins and then started up again. It was totally impossible for me to revise and carry out the mock exams I had been set. Although my bed linen and the very dated bathroom were clean the whole hotel had a very tired and had a grubby feel to it. Breakfasts were OK but someone had taken the dispensing knob off one of the cereal dispensers so the knob had to be transferred from one dispenser to another if you wanted the Cornflakes! The hot water boiler for tea was broken yet the staff kept putting it out each morning instead of providing hot water flasks - bizarre! A freezing cold cup of tea with breakfast is not acceptable. Unfortunately when I tried to check out a different but equally miserable Receptionist tried to bill me £500 for hotel accommodation that I previously sorted out and didn't have to pay myself. (I notice that another Reviewer had the same problem). To add insult to injury she also billed me £3.00 extra for the Lamb Burger. The price on the room menu is £9.50 but at Reception they had a menu showing £11.50! All of this resulted in a heated and upsetting situation which caused me to have an asthma attack on my way to the exam. I will never stay at The Fownes again and other people on the course who had been to Worcester before said they would never stay there, as Worcester has much better hotels in the City Centre. I have advised our Travel Company of this appalling hotel as it is totally unsuitable if you are trying to have a peaceful stay whilst on a training course. The whole experience left me feeling totally exhausted, upset and desperate to get away from what is otherwise a beautiful and interesting city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Wasessa
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The hotel was lovely, the room was really nice, and the breakfast was well above average. The bed was comfy and there were plenty of towels.

I am especially grateful to the lovely waiting staff who gave me gluten free bread for my breakfast.

We stayed here with the groupon deal. I don't think we would stay here again without the deal (mainly because we wouldn't be able to afford it!), but for the price of the groupon deal it was great.

There were only two little down-sides to the hotel:

1. The hairdryer is very old and doesn't dry your hair. I'd suggest bringing a hairdryer.
2. Our room was above the bar, and they had a singer in the bar that night, which meant we could hear singing in our room until she stopped. And it was quite loud, so there was no chance of sleep until she stopped. If we hadn't been above the bar, it would have been perfect!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I found the hotel clean, comfortable, lovely breakfast.
The only bad point was the welcome. Samantha the receptionist had the most miserable face and although I came in smiling she didn't crack her face once. It put a downer on my visit immediatly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed here with my friend on the Groupon deal. The hotel looks quite nice, and all of the staff were friendly. The room we had was of a good quality, but with really soft beds - not ideal if you have a bad back.
The shower was very small, so low down that I could not get my head under, however the towels provided were very soft and fluffy, and there was a towel heater. The hairdryer looked very 1970's, and really did not work well.
We did book dinner in the restaurant, however when we went to dine, we were the only ones there, and my friend did not want to stay surrounded by the breakfast goods.
The breakfast itself had a very good variety, however the hot goods were left under the lights for some time, making the bacon hard and the scrambled eggs have a skin on.
I am not sure if I would stay here again for the actual price, however for the Groupon price of £39 for 2 including breakfast it was very good value.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for Cheltenham races. A very average independent hotel in need of up grade. Firstly at £95 this hotel is overpriced to say the least. Rooms are very average compared with a chain hotel like premier inn there is no comparison. Room very dated and worn out, shower very poor, room was seriously hot and stuffy and had no control over the heating. For access to the Internet it was £5 for 24hours, at£95 a room I would have expected this to be free. At check out a £3.95 charge was placed for payment with a credit card! Not very business friendly. The bar had no atmosphere and compared to and old people's rest home, drinks well over priced but at this point couldn't really expect anything else. Plenty of negatives. On the positive side, breakfast was good and hot, parking was free (wow wee) and the location was good for Worcester town centre. To summarise below average hotel, if the price reflected this I would say average but not at this price, I would expect more!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business